FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: trademarking a name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what are the details about trademarking a name?

just saying, there's a guy in france going around calling himself "Original Mystake" and "Mystake Music" which is fun, and all... except I'm Mystake. If he's going to be releasing under the name "Mystake Music" that'll be quite... interesting as I use Mystake as my own name.

so yeah, i'm just wondering about protecting the name `Mystake`
i planned on using it as a company name, it's on my car, its my email, i've even been recognized as "oh! you're mystake!" by a total stranger standing in front of me at Cayuga, once.

Considering I've been using the name for years, I don't want to have to change it, let alone leave the potential to be some OTHER french guy's shadow. I'm the only (french) Mystake, got it? Tongue
If you trademark the name, it's only valid in your area, I think. Look at The Raconteurs in Australia (they go by The Saboteurs there due to another band being called The Raconteurs there), or The Barstool Prophets (Ottawa/Cornwall band that were originally The Wallflowers, until Jacob Dylan and his band made it big).

I don't think you can do anything if he's over there, and you're here... Smile
reldridge is right, its only valid in ones own area, its only after its registered federally does it give the person a broader area - but you have to renew it and it costs money, plus you gotta go through an application process etc. so the R with the circle around it has more power than the little TM lol. registered trademarks also tell you who was "first" to use it, non-regsitered TM's don't.
My step dad suggested registering it as a company name?

As for 'him' being 'over there', I am not worried about France, just Canada.

Also, it's about 400$ to apply, and I think it normally has to be for a company... so time for me to get to get my business proposal ready and start working on founding my company... here come the millions dollars I won't make :p
Picking this name was a mistake.
(02-01-2011, 12:31 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]Picking this name was a mistake.

"ha. ha. ha."

[Image: TEN_POINTS_FOR_GRYFFINDOR_by_ANHDUYBOI.png?1260145259]
This whole post is a mistake. There, I owe ya 1 cent for using your name.

Sue me, Nefcanuck is my lawyer.
(02-01-2011, 08:18 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]Sue me, Nefcanuck is my lawyer.

Big Grin
You're on, budday.

I don't care for charing people to use it... I just don't want what I consider at this point my identity to become someone else's commercial property.
(02-01-2011, 08:18 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]This whole post is a mistake. There, I owe ya 1 cent for using your name.

Sue me, Nefcanuck is my lawyer.

Whoa, whoa whoa there padre Tongue

No signed written retainer, hell no cash retainer and me no do Intellectual Property Law besides all that means you're on your own Big Grin Angel

NefCanuck
Apprently I need a new lawyer. He needs a new buddy when it comes time for a PIN for his new FORD and the discounts that follow.

Whose laughin now?

It's your mistake Nef.

2 cents now.
Ah, so that's how it is eh? S'okay, s'okay, I know who my friends are Big Grin

NefCanuck

(02-04-2011, 02:43 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so that's how it is eh? S'okay, s'okay, I know who my friends are Big Grin

NefCanuck

I knew you'd see it "our" way..... The PITA way.
One must also remember the cost of enforcing their trade-name/patent/etc.