FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: bumper question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
how does the front bumper come apart? is it in two pieces?

I need a replacement lower half, if it's possible to get that alone.
Its all one piece. What did you hit? Snow bank....
all one piece, however easy to take off. 3 bolts per side attached to quarter panels and usually 2 clips under the grill.

street racers....
(01-29-2011, 10:41 PM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: [ -> ]Its all one piece. What did you hit? Snow bank....

It wasn't a snowbank once I was done with it.

edit: no damage other than the bumper. I lost a fog light and cracked away the lower valance. That's the extent of the damage. Lucky me too. Should've been a lot worse. The back end started to slide out on a wide turn after snow had been melting all day then it snowed a couple inches. Tried to save it but all I could do was attempt to make the impact as soft as possible, which theoretically didn't work but considering the damage I suppose it did.

I suppose someone's gunna want pics,
edit2: when I stepped out of the car I was walking through maybe 1-2ft of snow. Car was sitting parallel to the road, not on any crazy angle though I think the rear left wheel may have been hanging. Car would move backwards too but not forwards.
[Image: 1296360563.jpg]

edit3: the pics of the car
this is all the damage there is. I drove it 30 minutes home after idling in it for over an hour waiting for a tow truck. No problems whatsoever, brake pads were frozen at first but they eventually loosened up. But as I've said, considering the impact I consider myself lucky that this is all that happened.

[Image: 1296337072.jpg]
[Image: 1296400344.jpg]
good time to save for a SVT front bumper!
found a pin hole leak in my tire today. I have my suspicions of how it got there... but the fact of the matter is it's there.

Am I safe to run one of my summer tires instead until I get my winter tire fixed? It simply needs to be plugged so nothing big there. My old work had plugs (which had been used to seal yet another tire)... ANYWAY

where can I get these plugs, Napa?

and yeah, am I safe to run the tire? it's on front right. my concern is that it is slightly larger diameter.
its either that, or a donut tire, or I put the summer tire on the back.
Given the road conditions, if you *have* to run the summer tire I would say run it at the back, because mixing / matching tires on the drive wheels is a recipe for disaster AFAIK.

NefCanuck
The front end damage and the custom plate just go hand-in-hand.
Yeah I noticed the plate was bent too. I'm not too thrilled about that.
Just throwing it out there, I have a stock bumper if you ever decide to buy a stock one again
Here's something that might make u feel a little better about your damage buddy lol.
Last friday, I was driving at about 60kmph... went out of control a partially cleared country road. Slid for a good 50-60m sideways, trying to get back into control, in vain. Rammed into a wooden marker pole, and landed in a ditch. I completely lost the front lower lip of my bumper, front under body protective plate, license plate holder broken, front lower grill pushed in, fog light backing housing broken...and thts the front only. And what did that wooden pole do ramming it sideways?....i need a new door... :'
[attachment=252]
[attachment=253]
[attachment=254]
[attachment=255]
ya man I read your text, you an I just aren't having any luck with our cars, eh

how hard was the impact because that door looks like it got hit pretty hard!!
(01-31-2011, 02:34 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]ya man I read your text, you an I just aren't having any luck with our cars, eh

how hard was the impact because that door looks like it got hit pretty hard!!

haha yea! I JUST got my replacement door. The guys dropped it off at 12am on a sunday night !! lol

I must've been going at like 40 or so sliding sideways when I smashed into that pole. Was a LOUD bang when I hit it. Thought it would've taken my window n stuff, I was pretty happy to see 'only-this-much' damage done for the kinda impact it had. In one of the pics u can see the wooden pole became wood chips on my trail into the ditch Tongue
The worst thing is, these cars dont have a tow hook at the back?? the poor CAA dude had to dig up the snow and hook it up from somewhere in middle of the car.

... car has been pulling left. Needs a bunch of suspension work, unrelated to the ditch incident.

Coming back from Canadian Tire, I was cut off by someone making a left turn. I slammed on the brakes and it was a toss up of either smacking into the front right/passenger door of a ford Expedition or I yank the steering wheel to the right and hope I stop on time.

I didn't stop on time, I went right into the curb/snow bank.

I finished off the rest of my bumper and possibly the radiator. At LEAST, the radiator mounts need replacing, the rad has been bent back.

Before the car can go for an alignment, it needs a total of 557$ worth of work done to it. Outer tie rod end, stabilizer bar endlinks and rear drum/hub assembly because the bearing is out; i can jiggle the wheel around when the car is lifted.

What a great fucking day.

edit: forgot to mention, the driver of the expedition booked it. I went after him; because I did this I was not able to get any witnesses. When the asshole finally pulled over, I had just dialed 911 to report him. I hung up because he pulled over. 5-0 calls me back, as the asshole is saying 'i didnt cut you off', i told him 'hold on its the cops' and he floored it away.
i got his plates an all, but still. What a fucking cunt. What can the police get him for? Making an illegal turn? Leaving scene of accident?

The officer who responded was very, very nice to me though. My insurance papers were expired so 2weeks+1 day ago, I called my company and had them email me a temp insurance papers. I printed them off, they last 2 weeks. Today was 2weeks+1day, so the officer gave me a warning for lack of insurance. Said it was a reminder to take care of getting valid insurance papers "which you already seem to be doing".
Again, officer was very nice.

i should be clear, the car only pulled left noticably once. If it weren't for that one stretch of road, I would not have noticed it. As I drive it now I don't really notice it pulling.
Shitty luck man. If you need any recommendations of where to go in the Ottawa area to get repairs, let me know what you need done. I have some contacts still in the business. If you need any muscle or tools to fix it, let me know, I might be able to help.

edit: Which Canadian Tire did you go to? The one on Carling has been regarded as the best in Ottawa. It's actually staffed by a few guys (Ralf, the service advisor, and one of the alignment/suspension techs) from the Motorsports Club of Ottawa. The autocrossers all trust them, and they do good work. They'll be aligning my Focus in the spring.
If you want a bumper I have a liquid grey front bumper...it needs a front lip but its in good shape.

FREE just take it man.

You may be able to salvage your lower lip...either way maybe the lip is easier for you to find...
looks like im going to the one on carling then, I was going to the one on merivale.

hardk0re (kev, i think?), I got a deal on a bumper from another member here, and I am in Ottawa. With the condition of my car I wouldn't be able to come down to get it from you. I really, really appreciate the offer though.

edit: but yeah, I'm goign to need some body work, at least. Crappy Tire Merivale said the lower rad support has to be done by a body shop?
(02-05-2011, 02:18 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Crappy Tire Merivale said the lower rad support has to be done by a body shop?

Lower rad support is part of what holds the fenders apart dimensionally, if it's done wrong your body panels won't line up right, which is why they won't touch it.
Well, it's bent so...
Estimate for yesterday's accident totals 1555$.

plus the additional 650 that I need to pour into it to get an alignment done (a few other parts need replacing too)

FML
Pages: 1 2