FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cabin Air Filter??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, i have a 2009 Ford Focus SE and i was snooping around under the hood to see where or if i can install a cabin air filter because i heard it was not possible. Well i found a wire like mesh over the spot where you can install one but it is welded. So i then went on http://www.rockauto.com and found that they do sell cabin air filters for 2009 models. I guess i`d like to know if anyone has ever installed one on this model year and if so how you did it. How can a website or parts dealer sell filters for cars that are not suppose to require one, seems kinda weird to me. Why Ford overlooked an important option like that is beyond me. Thanks Fellas Undecided
(01-30-2011, 01:26 PM)dragerboat Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, i have a 2009 Ford Focus SE and i was snooping around under the hood to see where or if i can install a cabin air filter because i heard it was not possible. Well i found a wire like mesh over the spot where you can install one but it is welded. So i then went on http://www.rockauto.com and found that they do sell cabin air filters for 2009 models. I guess i`d like to know if anyone has ever installed one on this model year and if so how you did it. How can a website or parts dealer sell filters for cars that are not suppose to require one, seems kinda weird to me. Why Ford overlooked an important option like that is beyond me. Thanks Fellas Undecided

Sorry for the length of this response, but it's more complicated than the question.

The 2000-2004 Focus was indeed designed to accept a cabin filter and although it never came from the factory with one, it was simply a matter of dropping it into the empty spot made for it.

With the 05-07 models, the Focus was no longer designed for a cabin filter, but with the judicious cutting away of a little bit of plastic, and with trimming the filter itself, you could fit one in there. I did it for my 07 ZXW but frankly I can't remember everything that I did.

You have to look a bit further into the Rockauto listing to get the full story ... although they have it listed under the 2009 model year, I believe they've made a mistake of assumption. When you cross reference the OEM number they list as the comparative product, Ford's listing specifically says that this filter is for the 00-04 Focus and the 2010 Transit connect - no mention of anything past 04.

Although the cowl design of the 08-10 Focus is substantially different than the 05-07, it's possible that you have the same option to remove the wire mesh and install a filter - at least that's what I read when I did a quick google search. Even still, the rockauto info is incorrect because IIRC the filter that fits the 05-07 mod is smaller than the filter made for the 00-04.

Hope this helps.
(01-30-2011, 02:52 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-30-2011, 01:26 PM)dragerboat Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, i have a 2009 Ford Focus SE and i was snooping around under the hood to see where or if i can install a cabin air filter because i heard it was not possible. Well i found a wire like mesh over the spot where you can install one but it is welded. So i then went on http://www.rockauto.com and found that they do sell cabin air filters for 2009 models. I guess i`d like to know if anyone has ever installed one on this model year and if so how you did it. How can a website or parts dealer sell filters for cars that are not suppose to require one, seems kinda weird to me. Why Ford overlooked an important option like that is beyond me. Thanks Fellas Undecided

Sorry for the length of this response, but it's more complicated than the question.

The 2000-2004 Focus was indeed designed to accept a cabin filter and although it never came from the factory with one, it was simply a matter of dropping it into the empty spot made for it.

With the 05-07 models, the Focus was no longer designed for a cabin filter, but with the judicious cutting away of a little bit of plastic, and with trimming the filter itself, you could fit one in there. I did it for my 07 ZXW but frankly I can't remember everything that I did.

You have to look a bit further into the Rockauto listing to get the full story ... although they have it listed under the 2009 model year, I believe they've made a mistake of assumption. When you cross reference the OEM number they list as the comparative product, Ford's listing specifically says that this filter is for the 00-04 Focus and the 2010 Transit connect - no mention of anything past 04.

Although the cowl design of the 08-10 Focus is substantially different than the 05-07, it's possible that you have the same option to remove the wire mesh and install a filter - at least that's what I read when I did a quick google search. Even still, the rockauto info is incorrect because IIRC the filter that fits the 05-07 mod is smaller than the filter made for the 00-04.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, i will look into this further and make the adjustments deemed necessary on my cowl. just seems odd that other compact cars (not many) have cabin air filters and not Ford with all their hype. Still love my car though no matter whatBig Grin