FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2012 Focus vs Cruze vs Jetta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I went to the auto show the other day and I was looking forward to doing a comparison between the new Ford Focus, Cruse and my Jetta in regards to built quality and space.

I was not very impressed with the Cruze at all. It still felt like a GM car regardless of how much pep everyone gave it. They didn’t have the LTZ model so I didn’t sit in a model with leather seats, but still I was not very happy with it. Back seats were not that great either, Jetta has lot more room.

Then came the focus, wow what a car! Love the Sony audio and big 8” screen it has everything you ever want there. I saw bunch of pictures of the new focus and thought to myself the car seemed too busy, but that is not the case in person. Looks great. I looked at the sedan, but I have to say the trunk is just useless! It’s probably got ½ of the space Cruze and Jetta have. So that one is out of question, but the 5dr hatch is great. Now please bring over the TDci. There was a talk about the all new electric Focus that is going to be in production by 2012, which might be something to consider as well. Great Job Ford!!!

I’m still glad that I have my Jetta. The built quality is par with the Focus and somehow it ended up being cheaper than the Focus Titanium. I’ve got the Jetta TDI highline with all the toys and NAV and it’s still about 3000$ cheaper than the focus. That could be bc you cannot get the 6spd manual with the Titanium version. In 1.5yrs its time to replace the Golf Tdi with something more efficient Smile I know TDI is great but I’m not that happy with city driving mileage that we currently get with it. So will have to wait and see what the Focus Electric is all about. There is also the Lexus CT200h that is 33$ and it’s very similar to the Focus 5dr hatch. I love diesels, but somehow Canada doesn’t see it as a great fuel alternative. While the hybrids are getting incentives up to 3-4000$ diesel’s get jack! So no point of paying an extra 2-3000$ for the diesel option and loosing the 3000$ incentive if you are going to keep it for 3 years. That’s a loss of 6000$ that I don’t think I can get back by driving diesels.
(02-19-2011, 10:45 PM)mo_focus Wrote: [ -> ]I know TDI is great but I’m not that happy with city driving mileage that we currently get with it.

how much are you getting? were getting easily 800-900km to the tank on the 04 TDi. I dont know the latest numbers on the hybrids, do they even come close to that?
Ok we have two TDI cars, 2011 Jetta TDi 6 spd that i use for highway driving and i'm very happy with that. The issue is the wife's 2010 Golf Tdi w DSG, she gets about 800kms a tank, but i think the hybrids are lot better for city driving. Tdi's are great for highway driving.

According to gov fuel fiquires Golf gets 7.8 l/100km or 30 mpg, Prius is 4.6 l/100km or 51 mpg So i think for city driving the hybrids are the better choice. Highway TDI rules Smile

My 02 has the best fuel mileage, then its the 04-06 TDI engine and then its the new CR engines, but also keep in mind the new CR engine has 140Hp and my 02 had only 90. VW says you can get 1000kms per tank highway driving, I can easily achive that with 6spd standard and highway driving. City driving and DSG....well thats a different story i guess.

One more thing is the VW wont bring their start-stop future to North America bc they say we are too stupid and we would probably take the car to the dealership everyday bitching about the car stalling at traffic lights! with that system and the smaller engine VW polo gets an amazing mileage way better then any Hybrids out there!
My best was 1200km and change when the light came on. This was driving an average of 90Km/hr.
They only bring the "big" diesels over here , if they would also bring the 1.6L or less , things would be alot diferent . The Focus that I drove last year in Europe , the 1.6 CDTI got me almost 700 km of city driving . It's true , its got no "go"off the line but hey ,couldn't complain at 1.35 Euro/litre.
(02-20-2011, 03:48 AM)Gabriel Wrote: [ -> ]They only bring the "big" diesels over here , if they would also bring the 1.6L or less , things would be alot diferent . The Focus that I drove last year in Europe , the 1.6 CDTI got me almost 700 km of city driving . It's true , its got no "go"off the line but hey ,couldn't complain at 1.35 Euro/litre.

Thats the thing! I guess North America always cares about the HP numbers and not the fuel cost! I think this is BS! That could have been true for the 90's and maybe early 2000's, but now days i think Canadians do care about how much money they spend on fuel and they do want better fuel mileage. I really dont care how much HP my car has, i get on the 401 and drive for 400kms at a time. All i want is to drive at 119kms and have the ability to pass once in a while. So the 1.6 would be great for me.
(02-20-2011, 03:17 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]My best was 1200km and change when the light came on. This was driving an average of 90Km/hr.

Yeah i did similar i guess. Toronto-Timmins-North Bay was where i had to stop for fuel and i didnt even have my gas light on yet Smilei think that was 1100kms and only put in 50litlers so it meant i had an extra 12Liters in the tank which it could have got another 250kms. Average speed was 90kms, i was driving the 02 Jetta TDI w 5 speed.

I think someone in TDi club did 1650kms before running out of fuel, but that was with the 03 Tdi wagon, chip, nozzles and 6th speed mod. They actually did run out of fuel so they had to prime the line.
And here I am with my 450km to the tank and 94 octane lol.
(02-20-2011, 04:36 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]And here I am with my 450km to the tank and 94 octane lol.

Nick, i told you long time ago that you shold be getting the TDI. How many kms do you put in a week? or month?
I fuel up at least once a week.
(02-20-2011, 10:06 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]I feel up at least once a week.

That's awesome Nik ... I could actually hear the Russian accent when I read your post.
(02-20-2011, 12:47 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2011, 10:06 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]I feel up at least once a week.

That's awesome Nik ... I could actually hear the Russian accent when I read your post.

Ha! Stupid iPhone
Dodgy
Funny thing is that my servicing Ford dealers parts guy suggested the 2012 Focus Titanium as a "sideways" upgrade, claiming that interior space wise and size of the car was nearly the same as my Fusion.

I'd wanna see the car in person before I buy that line, esp. reading about the smallish trunk on the sedan.

NefCanuck
(02-20-2011, 04:36 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]And here I am with my 450km to the tank and 94 octane lol.

wow, thats s**t. I get 500-550 on a tank for the suby.

best was 600ish on a trip to Niagara.
What's your car's tank capacity ?

(02-20-2011, 11:17 PM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]

(02-20-2011, 02:20 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Funny thing is that my servicing Ford dealers parts guy suggested the 2012 Focus Titanium as a "sideways" upgrade, claiming that interior space wise and size of the car was nearly the same as my Fusion.

I'd wanna see the car in person before I buy that line, esp. reading about the smallish trunk on the sedan.

NefCanuck

make sure you look at the titanium one. It was something to do with the sony sound system or whatever, but the trucnk depth seemed very small.

You must have transplanted your focus granny upshift light to your suby.Big Grin

Say hello to short geared tranny.
my svt dosnt get amazing km/tank full at all. thats my only grouch with it.

i have allways wanted a suby and had fully planned on selling the svt in the spring and buying a wrx. but the TDI band wagon has cought my attention.

1000km per tank plus EURO = Smile
If the electric Focus would survive up here, I'd probably get one in a heartbeat. 95% of my driving is within ~100KMs of home. I could even plug in at the lake when we're there for a weekend/week/whatever. This is why the Escape has only garnered 4000KMs in the last 5 months or so. Big Grin I keep driving the Focus everywhere. Gas at 1.15/L and up makes you take the economical route for sure.

Of course, when the Focus gets "parked" for reworking later this year I'll rock the Escape first-up with the new tires/rims that are coming.

Truth be told, I think I'm just about done being a slave to the "new car" consumerist machine, even with the new Focus being as sweet as it is. I'm tired of car payments. Once the truck is paid off, time will tell where my money goes.
(02-21-2011, 08:48 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]

Say hello to short geared tranny.

ah yes, thats right.
(02-21-2011, 12:22 AM)Gabriel Wrote: [ -> ]What's your car's tank capacity ?

60L
Pages: 1 2