FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: F150 vs Sierra 1500
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the time has come to get rid of my Grand Prix. New job means no car.

I've always wanted a fullsize truck and for one reason or another to this point I've never been able to justify buying one. With my new job as a sales rep, I'm going to have to truck large samples around with me so a truck final makes sense.

My options for trucks have come down to a 09 or newer F150 4x4 Supercrew or a 08 or newer GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended cab.

I know there are a few F150 owners on here, just thought I'd see if you guys have any opinions on either truck.

Thanks
Well your in the same ball park for trucks but miles apart in terms of interior space. do you want the screw or an extended. They are miles apart in terms of interior space. I have more leg room in the back seat of my 2010 then in the front. And the rear seat is uber comfortable in the screw versus lackluster and cramped in my buddies ext. 1500. Gas mileage? Used to be GMC was better but not any more. Both about the same. And it's pricey. I run about 800kms to a tank and at current prices a tank is upwards of $150(it's not a fofo folks). But my loyalty lies with Ford. So I am biased indeed. What's your price point?
All the trucks I'm looking at Ford and GMC are Supercrew sized, not sure what GMC calls that. Gas prices are a little bit of a concern, but with my new job I get $0.40 per kilometer for business use. The bulk of my vehicle use will be business use, probably like 40k a year, so I'm not too worried about gas prices.

Right now price wise I'm in the ballpark of $25k +/- for a used 08 or 09 Sierra. F150's I'm only looking 09 or newer, love the new body style. I'm leaning towards the F150, at heart I'm a Ford guy, the Grand Prix was the first non-ford vehicle I'd ever owned.
The F-150s, 09s and up, are miles better than the Sierras. They're just WAY more solid. Get it with either V8 and the 6-speed and you've got a solid truck that'll tow / haul just about anything.

If gas prices weren't in the toilet, I might have one already. But I'm cheap and I have a 5x8' trailer, so for the moment I have no need for a pickup.

I've driven a couple of the F-150s. Nice, nice trucks. It feels like a solid, well-built truck should.
Go sit in both trucks, especially the back seat and you'll look no further than a Ford. I have another buddy with a 2500 GMC and I hate his back seat. Not enough leg room and I find the seat itself is too vertical.

And I was thinking of selling my truck and getting a new one, but it's over your price range. My truck is a FX4 with the luxury package(leather and all) with the upgraded sound system, moonroof, tuxedo black with dark grey on the bottom, upgraded trailer tow package, bedliner, price it out at Ford.ca and let me know if me asking about $32,000 isn't a great deal. I would prefer to wait until I can get a 2012 F150, which would be August/Sept. But I am just thinking about it right now.
gmc for the win ford trucks are s**t compaired to the comfort , ride and resale and there just badass.
I own a ford f-150 (raptor model, but none the less an f150) and i also get GMC/Chev full size rentals on a regular basis. I can tell you hands down that the f-150's are 10x the truck that the GMC/Chev's are. They have a more comfertable overall feel (ride and interior styling). If your really up in the air. Get ahold of a few car rental places and see if they have them in their fleet and try each out for a day. Or go check in with your local ford and i'm sure they'd be more than willing to let you take one out for a ride. Chevy/GMC on the other hand might tell you to go to ford (i know they did that in sudbury to more than a handful of clients)
I'll say this about this truck debate, if you are looking used.

Dose not matter where you buy your truck, get it up in a hoist and inspect the frame, before you buy it. More so the front frame area if it's 4wd. I can tell you that working in in a place that deals with used cars and trucks 1 out of every 3 trucks that came in, have some type of structural damage or exisiting structural issue related to being a plow, or towing things beyond it's payload rating.

Other then that make sure the truck you are buying is upto date on all it's recalls, and or service issues, as a lot of used dealers don't do them or register you to the company that issues them.

I'll suggest if you are buying used, an ex rental might be up your ally as they are newer with lower mileage, and often taken care of better then a lease return truck can be, unless your looking for a higher trim line like the Lincoln LT pick up. one advantage over ford is GM's Onstar is standard on more of their trucks (since 2007) then the Ford's SYNC system (2008+) if your looking for that. but Onstar will soon be available as an aftermarket install soon.
Thanks Frost, the F150 I was looking at were actually former daily rentals. At first the thought of one scared me, but everything I've read about buying former rental vehicles makes me feel much better about it.

Going to go drive a few different vehicles on saturday, see what I like. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the gas prices, not sure if I can justify paying that much money just cuz I want a truck. If gas prices win over my desire for a truck the Ford Edge is my fallback.
150$ for 800km doesn't seem all that bad.

When I had a 5.9 durango, i used to get maybe 11-12mpg? Sometimes worse, sometimes better. Worst tank was 350km, best was 550(doing speed limit on an interstate). Tank capacity was 92litres... so yeah 150 for 800 doesn't seem awful.

Personally I've always heard that Ford makes a good truck too, so even though I'm a Mopar guy, in this scenario I'd probably pick a Ford just on rep alone.
I k ow I'm not much of a truck guy but while at work I read some comparisons between F150 vs Sierra 1500 and it says that F150 wins. Better ride , feels more solid. Over all a nicer truck.

I went to F150 forums where people were obviously biased (no surprise). Then I went to Sierra 1500 forums and there are a lot of people on there wrote that Ford truck was better. A couple die hard Sierra fans didn't wanna believe it but yeah seems like Ford F150 takes this one.
One Truck you Might want to concider is the newer (2009+) Dodge Ram, it's slightly below the F150 in terms of fit and finish, but if fuel savings are on higher on your lists for getting an good truck then put it on your list, as when they did the redesign one added thing Chrysler was smart enough to do on the hemi engines was take the cylinder de-activation from the grand chrokee and put it into their trucks. So you'd be running on 4 cylinders at idle, until you put your foot down to take off. The plus of the Dodge is it was tied, or one or two points behind the F150 before the F150 was crowned truck of the year in 2010, so it's another option for you.
So went out to a look at a few vehicles on the weekend. Drove the Sierra, it's a nice truck. Also had a Edge out, those are really nice too.

Final decision is going to come down to gas prices ultimately.
Well I'll prefer to F150 this is why because I personally used this one. Well I don't use other one that's why I can't judge which is the best.