FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Camping - with a "C". Cancel starts with a "C", too.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, you've decided that you want to go "Kamping" this year, but you might not be able to make the Official FocusCanada.net™ Kamping Weekend Extravanganza. That's ok. Perhaps you'll Kancel/Cancel. It happens.

As of May 1st, I'll have a nice, sort-of-shiny and new-to-us 28' 5th wheel camp trailer with add-on at Wasi Lake, just outside of Powassan, ON. The place we stay at (you've liklely seen some of the pics) is the same place where the trailer is now - http://www.wassilodge.com. They have drop-in trailer and tent spots (quite a number), water and electricity if you want it - the same as going to Algonquin. There's even a camp store that's normally well-stocked with essentials and snacks, firewood at a decent rate, boat rentals - and the fishing is PRIMO.

Basically, the only thing you're lacking are the massive amount of hiking trails. Here's the kicker. You could stay at Wassi Lodge and drive down for the day (pay the daily use fee) at Algonquin and head back at the end of the day.

Wassi is quieter than Algonquin, far more private and (in my estimation) just as enjoyable.

My girlfriend and I plan on being out there as much as possible. There are also 6-7 cabins (2 or 3-bedroom) available for rent if your S/O's idea of camping requires a full bathroom and real™ beds.

So, if there's a week/weekend you're free and you want to come up and check it out, do so. Shoot me a message; chances are we'll be out there around that time. Chris and Darla, the caretakers at the park, are friendly and helpful. That was one of our main reasons for staying there when we found the deal on the trailer. It's also a dog-friendly environment for those of you with 4-legged children - like us.
Let me know when you are away so I can storm the trailer park.
Interesting regarding the cabins.

May is out for me (My weekends are being spent planning for a charity auction that happens at the end of May) but after that I'm mostly free on weekends.

What are the rates like on the cabins? I assume that once it hits "prime" season they will go up.

NefCanuck
Brian, you're welcome up whenever. And you hae a pickup (or did?) - you'll fit right in with a lot of the locals!

Dan - during peak summer months, they want weekly rentals on the cabins. If you let me know when you want to book, I can arrange to have that rule bent for you. Wink Year-round rates are as advertised and in the winter it's $5 more per night for the heated cabins to pay for the baseboard heat. Not a bad deal at all!

Cottage rates: http://www.wassilodge.com/Rates2.htm#Cottages - I always drop them a deposit over the phone, or well I did when we used to rent. It's worthwhile to reserve as early as you can as the cabins are popular. If there's going to be a FC.net-ish meet, I can likely reserve a couple by word alone until those coming can put cash down on them.