FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Clutch action gone - FML
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So.... last Friday, was driving the g/f to work. Took a corner, went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and... no clutch. As in no disengage. Hmm.

Car rolls to a stop. Clutch pedal moves fairly freely to the floorboard. Can't grab a gear. Shut off engine, grab 1st... car doesn't roll. So clutch is perma-engaged. Pumping clutch yields small dribbles of fluid under the trans. Cursing ensues.

Call tow truck, tow to g/f's step-dad's garage a few KMs away. They inspect and tell me that my slave cylinder is likely gone. Also tell me that my clutch is likely "ruined" due to fluid leakage all over it. WTF?

Also, am told that front pass. wheel bearing is almost gone. That's funny, it was solid in Sept and Stan told me they were less than 2 years old. *puzzled*

Anyhow, had the car towed back home as the shop said it was going to be minimum $500 to attempt to fix (parts, etc) and possibly more than $1000 if the clutch is toast. Uhm, no. Will do stage 2 clutch, LSD and flywheel at that point if need be.

So... how much of a bitch is it going to be to check on this situation? I have hydraulic jacks and jackstands ready to go, along with a myriad of sockets, wrenches and a new impact gun. Wink
The slave cylinder leak is not likely to have deposited fluid on the clutch plate. Sounds like a sketchy shop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I have never done a slave cylinder on a Focus, but I did many on cars a few years back. Not a big deal. There probably is a rebuild kit. Usually you just have to remove the push rod, then the boot, then a circlip. The piston pops out either thanks to an internal spring, or thanks to an assistant who pushes (not too hard) on the clutch pedal.

I'll go have a look in Haynes to see what they have to offer.

Good luck,

Bob
Oops, I spoke too soon. According to Haynes, the slave cylinder and the release bearing are one unit. That would require the engine to be separated from the bell housing. Dang, much bigger job.

Sorry for giving an incorrect response, and also sorry for criticizing the shop that checked your car.

Bob
my zx3 did the same thing but it was one of the springs in the clutch plate exploded lol. i still needed a new clutch and to make matters worse for some reason we undid one of the power steering lines going into the rack and it just snapped (wass varry rusty)

this is for you 2000 zx3? if it were 05 up i have a clutch you could of had.

(03-23-2011, 01:37 AM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]So.... last Friday, was driving the g/f to work. Took a corner, went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and... no clutch. As in no disengage. Hmm.

Car rolls to a stop. Clutch pedal moves fairly freely to the floorboard. Can't grab a gear. Shut off engine, grab 1st... car doesn't roll. So clutch is perma-engaged. Pumping clutch yields small dribbles of fluid under the trans. Cursing ensues.

Call tow truck, tow to g/f's step-dad's garage a few KMs away. They inspect and tell me that my slave cylinder is likely gone. Also tell me that my clutch is likely "ruined" due to fluid leakage all over it. WTF?

Also, am told that front pass. wheel bearing is almost gone. That's funny, it was solid in Sept and Stan told me they were less than 2 years old. *puzzled*

Anyhow, had the car towed back home as the shop said it was going to be minimum $500 to attempt to fix (parts, etc) and possibly more than $1000 if the clutch is toast. Uhm, no. Will do stage 2 clutch, LSD and flywheel at that point if need be.

So... how much of a bitch is it going to be to check on this situation? I have hydraulic jacks and jackstands ready to go, along with a myriad of sockets, wrenches and a new impact gun. Wink

(03-23-2011, 01:37 AM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]So.... last Friday, was driving the g/f to work. Took a corner, went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and... no clutch. As in no disengage. Hmm.

Def sounds like the slave cylinder and like duckcanuck said - real bitch of a job ... if performance clutch and LSD are on your menu, this is the opportunity to save some money by doing everything at once ... you might even consider the master cylinder too ... I had a specialty shop install my clutch and LSD and I had the flywheel machined - all for 300 labour.
Thanks fellas!

Yeah, will likely leave the Focus off the road for a while, save for the clutch and LSD, lightened flywheel and do it all at once. Hell, the Focus may not see the road again till after May if I do everything I want to do to it. Oscar and I will be playing Mad Scientist™ with my neighbour across the road who used to be a Class A mechanic. I also have another buddy who's a class A who offered his assistance as well.

Muahahaha. Any other tidbits of info, tho - let me know. I loves me some information.