FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Icon Davis dead at 80
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
think it was 1964 that I read my first Car and Driver magazine and although I was already a car nut, I remember thinking for the very first time that I could actually earn a living in the car industry ... and thus the seed was planted and I have now been in the automotive industry for more than 30 years.

One of the more vivid personalities in the industry throughout my lifetime was David E. Davis II ... and although I disagreed vehemently with his politics, I was always captivated by his stories that were inevitably centred around cars that I really wish I could have owned.

It was said that Davis single handedly defined the post Vietnam War era in terms of automotive enthusiasm and its related journalism. Although I don't know if this is true or not, there can be no argument about the mark he left on the industry from his first days at Car and Driver through the establishment and running of Automobile and then also Motor Trend.

Davis died today following complications related to bladder cancer surgery. RIP.
One of the best auto writers of all time. He was a writer, and not a journalist. He could actually put together a paragraph, and not just spew facts. It was nice to see Car & Driver bring him back for the last year or so, so the newer generation could understand writers versus bloggers...

RIP, David E Davis Jr., you will be missed...