FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Timing Issue (totally Stumped)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought my 01 Wagon with a so called blown motor which i found to also have a stripped timing belt ( about 15 teeth missing)
anyways I bought a cam kit to re-time the engine and I installed the bar and the pin turned the crank clockwise till it contacted the pin and proceeded to install the new belt as per the instructions

well i finally get everything back together and throw in a battery and reinstall the ignition cylinder and crank

wtf no compression and intake backfiring (tries not to laugh)

heres the question and I have a feeling that i timed the cams wrong

will the bar go in only 1 way or could the bar be installed on the cams when one is backwards ?!?!??!?!

02ztsian

The slot on the cams is offset so it can only go in one way.
When I did my cams instead of the pin I pulled the plug on #1, stuck a screwdriver down the hole then turned the crank until #1 piston was at TDC (I didn't have the pin).
Then I lined up the cams and tightened everything with the cam bar still in place.
And, from a Ford tech who has seen it happen, DO NOT rely on the bar to hold the cam while tightening the Torx screw on the cam gear-it can break the end off the cam. The cams should have a flat spot to put a wrench onto.
After you install the belt remove the bar and pin, then turn the crankshaft 720 degrees and recheck the cam positions, it just shows you if set-up is correct without having to completely reassemble the engine and running it.
02ztsian,Mar 6 2009, 10:46 AM Wrote:The slot on the cams is offset so it can only go in one way.
When I did my cams instead of the pin I pulled the plug on #1, stuck a screwdriver down the hole then turned the crank until #1 piston was at TDC (I didn't have the pin).
Then I lined up the cams and tightened everything with the cam bar still in place.
And, from a Ford tech who has seen it happen, DO NOT rely on the bar to hold the cam while tightening the Torx screw on the cam gear-it can break the end off the cam. The cams should have a flat spot to put a wrench onto.
After you install the belt remove the bar and pin, then turn the crankshaft 720 degrees and recheck the cam positions, it just shows you if set-up is correct without having to completely reassemble the engine and running it.
[right][snapback]282218[/snapback][/right]

Right on the money

I only used the pin cuz its the first Zetec timing belt I've ever done and I was leaning on the cautious side

anyways I pulled everything back off this morning and threw the cam bar back on both cams were still in alignment and I was told by a buddy of mine to take a peek at the crank key it was pointing down from his words the crank key needs to be up yet the pin stopped it down so i pulled plug 1 out and threw an aluminum rod ( its actually a 14inch extension from my gun cleaning kit down there and spun the crank, the key landed straight up on full top dead center which I then for s***s and giggles threw the timing pin in and I could spin the crank still (pin is either wrong one or somethings wrong)

anyways pulled the pin recapped it then reset it back to top dead center from the bar threw it all back together and cranked.. whabam first crank she fired up immediately and runs amazingly well

thanks for the tips they helped

also this is why the engine wouldn't start in the first place XD

[Image: DSCF1858.jpg]

02ztsian

Glad it worked out for you!
Nice toothless belt! Reminds me of this guy...
[Image: toothless.jpg]
02ztsian,Mar 6 2009, 07:34 PM Wrote:Glad it worked out for you!
Nice toothless belt! Reminds me of this guy...
[Image: toothless.jpg]
[right][snapback]282236[/snapback][/right]

ok now thats freaky o.o