FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Credit Check
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where is a good place to get a Credit Check done?
I have no credit, or the wife never gives me any. :rofl:
^^Oh gawd.
theres this crazy thing called google.
Scorcher000,Mar 4 2009, 08:58 AM Wrote:Where is a good place to get a Credit Check done?
[right][snapback]282096[/snapback][/right]
You want to check somebody else's credit or your own ... two entirely different set of processes
As others have said, depends on what you're looking to do.

Checking your own credit is a matter of contacting Equifax who are the main credit rating agency in Canada.

Trans Union used to be a rating agency as well, but since they got bought out by Wells Fargo I'm unclear as to whether they are still doing credit rating or not.

NefCanuck
Thnx, it's for me and I could have used google but I wanted to know if there is a proper site and not some guy in Gwam ripping ppl off.
Give me your credit cards and I'll check it out. Free of charge.

Just don't come and see me when the bills are due.
If Im not mistaken everytime you do a credit check it goes against your credit score keep that in mind before you check it more than once
Ya it's true it does but I find that retarded.
Scorcher000,Mar 5 2009, 08:49 AM Wrote:Ya it's true it does but I find that retarded.
[right][snapback]282159[/snapback][/right]

I don't think this is exactly correct ... if you're talking about checking your own credit rating, doing that will make no difference to your credit rating no matter how often you do it.

If you're talking about a credit check someone else does on you, for example you've applied for a credit card or a loan ... the number of credit checks is important only to the extent that it could indicate a change in your credit worthiness; ie: a lot of credit checks in a short period of time would probably indicate you're applying for a lot of credit - which may indicate a change in your circumstances. But don't forget, you have the opportunity to explain all this to whomever may see your credit rating at the point where you give them permission to do a credit check in the first place.

Additionionally ... the only people who get to look at your credit history (technically) are those you've given permission to and practically speaking that's almost always when you're applying for credit. Point being that you have control over how many "credit checks" are done on your history.

When it comes to applying for credit honesty is always the best policy ... if they're going to find out about something negative anyway, it is always best if they hear it from you first.
Thx Ken.
It is for me, because my lease is up on May 27th. I'm having trouble with my insurance company, father and figuring out what Ford is going to stick me with.
I have a, roughly estimated, $9500 buy back.
Scorcher000,Mar 5 2009, 09:37 AM Wrote:Thx Ken.
It is for me, because my lease is up on May 27th. I'm having trouble with my insurance company, father and figuring out what Ford is going to stick me with.
I have a, roughly estimated, $9500 buy back.
[right][snapback]282163[/snapback][/right]

Here's something that's relatively new at Ford Credit and it is in relation to the returning of lease vehicles.

It used to be that the dealer inspected the car and essentially decided what damages or excess mileage etc needed to be accounted for ... as you can imagine most dealers would bend over backwards to reduce the impact on their customers.

The result was though that overall Ford Credit took a beating in the auctions - damage / mileage etc that dealers didn't collect on but that reduced the car's value at auction.

So just last year Ford Credit starting sending out its own inspectors - who as you can imagine because they work for Ford Credit will try and ding you (no pun intended) for every little thing they can find. That's why Ford started selling their LeaseCare product - to protect customers from the cost of returning the leased vehicle.

So, if you decide to actually return the car, make sure you know what is chargeable and do whatever you can to fix it yourself.

I assume, however, that you plan on buying the car at the end of the lease and hence the credit check question ... and in that case yes, the first thing you should do is get a copy of your credit record from Equifax and see where you stand.

If you've been good with Ford Credit in terms of making your lease payments on time etc ... you may have a good standing with them in terms of financing the purchase ... although the Ford Credit rates suck compared to bank rates, but it could be an option.

Good luck John.
Ya thanks, I'm going to need it. The car and everything is in my dad's name and I'm paying for it. So everything has to transfer into me so I get him off my back.

Ford sent me a letter in Jan, with a plastic business card and it had a nickle size hold in it. The papers said and any panel with more that 3 chips or dents in it.(windows, painted sections and even plastic sections) Had to be replaced or repainted. The tires have to be original or to original legal specs, no wire tampering :blink: :unsure: , even teh seats if the leather has a crakc in it more that 2 CM long it has to be replaced lol.

I am buying it out cause it would be stupid of my to repay to rebuild it. So May27th is the day it goes down. If eveything is goes good then there should be no problems, but if there is a problem you may see on the news, Brampton Ford dealership randomly explodes, young male seen leaving the seen with a crazed look on his face :D .
lintlars,Mar 5 2009, 01:35 AM Wrote:If Im not mistaken everytime you do a credit check it goes against your credit score keep that in mind before you check it more than once
[right][snapback]282152[/snapback][/right]

This is true. I used to work at a Credit Card Company and we add to tell the customer that was applying for the credit card that we have to see the credit bureau and that would effect there scored. Every time you apply for credit they check your credit bureau. So, if you have a lot of credit cards it's bad for your score because they have to look at it.