FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rpm troubles!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all, a little but of engine trouble... Just wondering if ne one has any ideas!

So, my engine is idling above 1100rpms, and if you tap the gas, and the rpms get up to 3500+ say, the engine will hold that rpm for an undetermined amount of time... Sometimes the engine will actually climb to over 4000 if I push the clutch in changing gears.. I have powertrain warranty still but noooo dealership within 100 kms o me can get me in before Tuesday... Pretty concerned so I'm planning on not driving the car till then... ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS??
sounds like tps(throttle position sensor) needs to be replaced.
Wonder if that would be common in an 07
In my head that would make sense...
yaaa i agree with kona....its probably the tps...my bros car was doing the same thing on sunday....it threw a check engine light, i scanned it and there was 4 codes....all tps related...
Yea.... No CEL, but I'm pretty sure its the tps now after a little more research, or the idle air control valve... Gonna order a tps tomorrow an reset the ecu.... If that doesn't fix it gonna check out about taking the iac out and cleaning it... Who knows, hopefully the tps fixes it!!
my bros didnt set a CEL at first...took til monday for any codes to show....it also might have something to do with the cold air intake going down to the bumper and sucking up water...which it was pretty wet on sunday....i told him to stay away from puddles....but he didnt listen...Angry....
Yea... And that's why I stay away from cai's on dds an stick with the short rams!!
DPFE?
vacuum leak?
It's an 07... Doubt it's the dpfe or a vac leak... Just had the fuel system flushed so I'm thinking it's either tps or iac valve
I doubt its a TPS sensor since the TPS sensor doesnt control idle it just tells your pcm where your throttle body is positioned. Check out your iac valve. Its easy to take out and clean, plus its cheaper than buying a tps and hoping it fixes it.
(04-21-2011, 07:38 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]It's an 07... Doubt it's the dpfe or a vac leak... Just had the fuel system flushed so I'm thinking it's either tps or iac valve

What do they do to flush the fuel system ... might involve disconnecting a vac line ???

If not a vac leak, I agree with ^^ IAC.
but if it is iacv related, cel should be on to say stuck open, but with tps, cel doesnt show up.

what you can try is, while car is running, disconnect connector off of tps.
(04-21-2011, 12:48 PM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]but if it is iacv related, cel should be on to say stuck open, but with tps, cel doesnt show up.

what you can try is, while car is running, disconnect connector off of tps.

What do I look/listen for when I disconnect it.... I also feel it's the tps cuz I actually move the throttle with my fingers in the engine and the throttle goes fully back, however the revs are taking a bit to climb down... Will try unplugging the tps when I get home from work... New tps should also be here this morning...
(04-21-2011, 12:45 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-21-2011, 07:38 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]It's an 07... Doubt it's the dpfe or a vac leak... Just had the fuel system flushed so I'm thinking it's either tps or iac valve

What do they do to flush the fuel system ... might involve disconnecting a vac line ???

If not a vac leak, I agree with ^^ IAC.

All they do is disconnet ur fuel line from the fuel rail and attach an additive to the rail and then run that through the system for 5-10 minutes... Shouldn't be a vac leak
sounds like a vac leak to me.
K... Not the tps... Unplugged the one in it now and it worked fine... Took about a sec or two but after I'd unplug it the engine would rev up and down and almost bog out... Guess I'm gonna try the iacv this weekend... And hopefully that fixes it...
Iacv is out, however it looks great, little bit of carbon build up at the bottom opening, but nothing really... Gonna pick up some carburetor cleaner tonight ne ways and give er a rinse... I really have no Fu<kin clue what it could be causing this other than a vac leak!!! Exactly what's happening--- start the car, revs up above 2000 slowly drops to about 1200 and stays there, rev the engine to 3000 the idle will hold there and slowly drop again, never getting down below 1200.. Drive the car, push in clutch engage reverse, pull out of driveway, push in clutch, rpms at 3000 holding steady, engage first and don't even need to give ne gas to keep car running!!! Even worse at higher gears... Will hold 4k or higher if I'm revved up!
(04-22-2011, 08:35 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Iacv is out, however it looks great, little bit of carbon build up at the bottom opening, but nothing really... Gonna pick up some carburetor cleaner tonight ne ways and give er a rinse... I really have no Fu<kin clue what it could be causing this other than a vac leak!!! Exactly what's happening--- start the car, revs up above 2000 slowly drops to about 1200 and stays there, rev the engine to 3000 the idle will hold there and slowly drop again, never getting down below 1200.. Drive the car, push in clutch engage reverse, pull out of driveway, push in clutch, rpms at 3000 holding steady, engage first and don't even need to give ne gas to keep car running!!! Even worse at higher gears... Will hold 4k or higher if I'm revved up!

Just a flyer here ... but this actually happened to me on my 2.3 Fusion ... I installed the Steeda throttle body spacer and long story short - 3 months later the whole throttle body was loose (bogus lock nuts included with the Steeda kit didn't hold) ... so think beyond vac lines in terms of the leak.
(04-22-2011, 12:14 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Just a flyer here ... but this actually happened to me on my 2.3 Fusion ... I installed the Steeda throttle body spacer and long story short - 3 months later the whole throttle body was loose (bogus lock nuts included with the Steeda kit didn't hold) ... so think beyond vac lines in terms of the leak.

You can check for vacuum leaks with brake cleaner or carb cleaner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYa8rcHeN3A

Check near the intake manifold or TB. The cleaner will get sucked in where there is a leak and cause your idle to go up or down. The leak could cause havoc with your MAF readings and give your ECM a tough time finding correct idle.
i would also check the PCV line, it is behind the intake manifold and is prone to cracking over time from it drying out.
Pages: 1 2