FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Avitar On Blueray
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just watched it last night. Fantastic picture quality, even better than the theatre. You won't miss the 3D at all, which was subtle anyway. The picture is so good that many scenes have near 3D depth quality.

29 Mb/s AVC encoding that you can't get in any digital format, and no black bars due to 1.78 screen ratio (widescreen 16x9)

If you're hesitating on Blueray, use this film as the reason to upgrade. You won't be disappointe

-Paolo
Cameron is going to re-release Avatar to Theatres with extra scenes, which will warrant another BD, as well as a 3d version or two I'm sure...

not sure how many BDs of Avatar I'm going to end up buying.
try more than you expected
rent it on blu ray now, then buy it with uber edition comes out sometime near Christmas.
my MKV's look great too :)
its playing at work on the new 3D tv we got and OMFG lol i might have to snag it for myself.
Spinal,Apr 27 2010, 12:41 AM Wrote:its playing at work on the new 3D tv we got and OMFG lol i might have to snag it for myself.
[right][snapback]305934[/snapback][/right]

I'm surprised you guys aren't playing 3D movies on that 3D TV :P

Don't even get me started on 3DTV. Apparently, some people can't watch 3DTV, it affects their eyes in such a way.
paolo,Apr 27 2010, 08:29 AM Wrote:Don't even get me started on 3DTV.  Apparently, some people can't watch 3DTV, it affects their eyes in such a way.
[right][snapback]305943[/snapback][/right]

If you're referring to the disclaimer that Samsung includes in their manuals that warn people with various conditions ranging from "young age" to "old age" to "pregnancy", that's pretty much standard US anti-litigation fare.
no not that one but this one:

Samsung also says that wearing 3D glasses for any other purpose may be physically harmful and could weaken your eyesight.

Negative reactions to 3DTV is not uncommon, especially among children and the elderly. Many movie goers reported experiencing dizziness, shakiness and headaches after watching 3D movies such as Avatar and Monsters vs. Aliens when they were released last year.

James Sutton, an optometrist explains: “The problem is that 3D offers a completely unnatural situation. It forces the eyes to work extremely hard. For many people, especially children, it causes eye strain, headaches and dizziness. Watching a busy action film, you can get what feels like motion sickness.”

The warning is especially noteworthy for parents since many of the slated 3D releases in the coming year are marketed towards young children and teens.
yeah, that makes total sense. You have to relax your eyes, or the movie makers need to lay off the depth of field.

Especially in Avatar.... elements around the edges of the screen are purposely out of the depth of field, along with foreground/background objects, and if you tried to look at them, it could hurt because you're trying to focus on something that is out of focus.

So you take people who want to look around the screen rather than just what the director wanted you to see, and yes, they're going to feel the strain of trying to focus on those intangible visuals.
paolo,Apr 27 2010, 10:35 AM Wrote:Watching a busy action film, you can get what feels like motion sickness.”
An optometrist [right][snapback]305953[/snapback][/right]
Take it with a grain of salt what an optometrist has to say, he's not a medical doctor.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=22559

What that condition is is called "simulator sickness" in the medical field, it is the opposite of motion sickness with the same result. Motion sickness -- the inner ear detects motion but the eyes indicate that you're still sending conflicting messages to the brain. Simulator sickness -- the inner ear tells your brain that you are not in motion but the eyes say you are, sending conflicting messages to the brain.

The brain reacts to these conflicting messages by using the biological reasoning of where this condition happens in nature -- you've been poisoned, so throw up.

The truth is, this is not an uncommon condition and is nothing new. I have an issue with simulator sickness but not with motion sickness (I have my pilot license and was in the Navy and I don't get motion sick, but certain video games make me nauseous). But you CAN condition yourself to overcome it.

As far as the eye problems, etc, that comes as no surprise either. Wearing dirty glasses/cheap sunglasses/safety glasses/watching TV/extended time on the computer also kills your eyes. Don't think they've got enough data on it to prove that the rate of vision loss from watching 3DTV is any greater than any other thing we subject our eyes to.
I probably won't even bother as I have a "Lazy eye". My depth perception sucks.
Well, its too early to tell the real world effects of 3DTV, we should just keep this on topic OAC & Puppet and discus when the next Avitar BRD is to be released

FTW, i wanted to check the 3Dtv at the nearest Best buy on Laird Dr and Ridgeway area, and the guy told me someone teifed the 3D goggles, lol, the TV is useless now he said. haha ouch
I guess I should point out that it's spelled AVATAR, and not 'avitar'
I don't really think touching on 3DTV is straying off topic too much, as the next Avatar release would likely depend on being 3D.

TBH I usually adopt new tech somewhat early but I really see little reason to run out and buy an HDTV just for the sake of a few movies -- at $200+ a pop for a pair of glasses and for a family of four that means an extra $400 (assuming you get 2 pairs with the TV). Now, I can understand if you're upgrading anyways, but not specifically for 3D.

I don't know why they don't convert Avatar over to the standard red/blue or magenta/green 3D for home release; it should be doable since they should still have the left/right data separate. Coraline's 3D was ok. You could fit both the 2D and 3D versions on the same BluRay like Coraline.
Not sure the red/blue anaglyphs would work too well considering the movie is a whole lot o' blue .. and green.

While coraline 3d worked out pretty well, the colours were a little washed out... I don't think avatar would benefit much from the same treatment.
darkpuppet,Apr 27 2010, 04:36 PM Wrote:I guess I should point out that it's spelled AVATAR, and not 'avitar'
[right][snapback]305989[/snapback][/right]

I knew that I could get by with not taking English in high school. My teacher said i would have a hard time, but thats not the case, their's people like you to find my mistakes and correct me. pieceof cake.
paolo,Apr 27 2010, 08:44 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Apr 27 2010, 04:36 PM Wrote:I guess I should point out that it's spelled AVATAR, and not 'avitar'
[right][snapback]305989[/snapback][/right]

I knew that I could get by with not taking English in high school. My teacher said i would have a hard time, but thats not the case, their's people like you to find my mistakes and correct me. pieceof cake.
[right][snapback]306008[/snapback][/right]
Quoted for posterity. :P
OAC_Sparky,Apr 27 2010, 08:22 PM Wrote:Quoted for posterity.  :P
[right][snapback]306013[/snapback][/right]

what does that word mean? u tryin to be funny?
Pages: 1 2