FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Halogen Bulbs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys i have a 2009 Focus SE and i just ordered 2 halogen bulbs H13 (9008)5000k 55 watt 12 volt white bulbs to replace my factory yellow ones for my headlights.Now i noticed that my Daytime Running Lights or (DRL) run off the same bulb as where my Hi-Lo beams do.I also saw on a few websites where they are saying that to replace my DRL i need the model 3157. I don`t know where that light bulb is suppose to go because i have only two bulbs in my housing unit the headlight bulb and the signal light bulb. my question is doesn`t the DRL run at a lower voltage from the high beam filament? And if so what is this bulb 3157 they are talking about. Also are those bulbs i have ordered adequate enough to use in my housing without causing any damage>

Thank Guys
(05-06-2011, 11:15 AM)dragerboat Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys i have a 2009 Focus SE and i just ordered 2 halogen bulbs H13 (9008)5000k 55 watt 12 volt white bulbs to replace my factory yellow ones for my headlights.Now i noticed that my Daytime Running Lights or (DRL) run off the same bulb as where my Hi-Lo beams do.I also saw on a few websites where they are saying that to replace my DRL i need the model 3157. I don`t know where that light bulb is suppose to go because i have only two bulbs in my housing unit the headlight bulb and the signal light bulb. my question is doesn`t the DRL run at a lower voltage from the high beam filament? And if so what is this bulb 3157 they are talking about. Also are those bulbs i have ordered adequate enough to use in my housing without causing any damage>

Thank Guys

Guessing here ... but there could be some models somewhere that have the DRL powering the parking / turn signal lights which would be the 3157 bulb. IIRC our front parking / turn light and rear tail / stop light are 3157. Other than that ... DRL = 3157 makes no sense to me.

I always thought that the DRL was 60% power to the low beams on our cars - but I'm not positive. The reason I think that is because when I switched my '07 ZXW to the Anzo projectors (separate high / low beam bulbs) - with the plug and play wiring it was the low beams that came on with DRL.
DRL on reflector setups are typically low-power high-beam....

low-beam (or dipped) uses the upper part of the reflector only to provide light low down as to not strike oncoming drivers..... But you want your DRL's to be visible to oncoming traffic, that's the point of them.... High-beams use the full reflector and are highly visible to oncoming traffic, ideal for DRL but obviously you need to tone it down a little so you don't blind people, hence the reduced power.

Also the high-beam filament is less used, so using this as the DRL balances out the wear.

On projectors, the beam is not set by the reflectors.... So using the Low bulb would make sense.

Agree that the 3157 buld is only for turning light, etc...