FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anything I should know about '04 ZX5s?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if there are any peticular things I should know about ZX5s or any problems you have had or heard of?
(05-21-2011, 07:30 AM)blackbirdphoto Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering if there are any peticular things I should know about ZX5s or any problems you have had or heard of?

Welcome aboard ... the 05 Focus is a pretty solid car and will provide long-term reliable transportation if maintained well.

In terms of what you should be looking for, you could begin by telling us more about your car ... what transmission, what options, how many km ... that sort of thing.
My 02 ZX5 has been great other than regular maintenance. I got her at around 50K and now she is up to 226K and I still love it. Hope you'll feel the same way.
Well she's auto, got (I think) all the fun features, like sunroof and a/c. The gross stock radio & stereo (which is getting a huge makeover) right now I love the car! Pictures to follow, I just finished cleaning the inside.
maybe you won't like hearing this, but my 03 zx5 has been a financial disaster.

I know someone with a sedan who's had even worse luck than I have. For the most part though they seem to be pretty reliable, like Focus man, focus'
Well day 2 into driving her around and guess what... Two problems!
1) this is the one that concerns me the most: when I'm holding a steady speed, doesn't matter if it's 60kph or 120kph, it feels like (and sounds like) the engine is studdering. At first I though it was the wind, but nope, that was the engine. Idles fine, starts up fine, accelerates fine, cruising not so smooth.
Thoughts? Bad spark plugs, fuel filter, bad luck?

2) check fuel cap : just from searching here on the forums, I'm pretty sure it's a minor thing. But I am going to deal with that.
Oh and...
My hatch wiper motor is toast! Woo!
Again if you need more info, let me know. Smile
(05-24-2011, 01:54 PM)blackbirdphoto Wrote: [ -> ]Well day 2 into driving her around and guess what... Two problems!
1) this is the one that concerns me the most: when I'm holding a steady speed, doesn't matter if it's 60kph or 120kph, it feels like (and sounds like) the engine is studdering. At first I though it was the wind, but nope, that was the engine. Idles fine, starts up fine, accelerates fine, cruising not so smooth.
Thoughts? Bad spark plugs, fuel filter, bad luck?

2) check fuel cap : just from searching here on the forums, I'm pretty sure it's a minor thing. But I am going to deal with that.
Oh and...
My hatch wiper motor is toast! Woo!
Again if you need more info, let me know. Smile
I'm not sure what "studdering" means, but I've noticed that when the air conditioner compressor cycles on and off it is a very intrusive thing ... feels like the engine goes up and down on power ... but this would happen every minute or so when you have the a/c on and is especially noticeable at idle.

A stutter due to bad fuel filter is at first noticeable only at full throttle, and not usually at a steady speed ... but it is a cheap thing to do and unless you know for sure it was done in the last 20,000 km or so, I would go ahead and do it. Same goes for air filter.

If your car has more than 50 or 60,000 km the spark plugs could be the cause of the problem ... but again, it's relatively inexpensive to replace the plugs, so unless you know for sure they're fresh, go ahead and do it.

Heck, bring your car out to a Monday meet and we could do it for you in 15 minutes - even if you go with the recommended Ford plugs, they're still only 11 or 12 bucks each.

Obviously it's difficult to diagnose a driving concern without actually driving the car, but hopefully this was helpful.
"feels like the engine goes up and down on power ... " that what it feels like @ 2000 rpm or higher..
The check engine light just popped on today as I was on the 403 . ( yay..)
So I'm going to replace the fuel filter and the air filter, even if thats not the cause of the problems, won't hurt to replace them condering I'm @ 228,200k.
Any brands you would recommend? I was looking @ Fram, yay/nay?
Spark plugs were just replaced with new wires, but the (stealer)dealership put some cheap-o max power wires, so god knows what brand the plugs are...
again recommend any good plugs? I'm thinking MSD wires...
Thanks for the help! Smile
(05-25-2011, 01:01 AM)blackbirdphoto Wrote: [ -> ]"feels like the engine goes up and down on power ... " that what it feels like @ 2000 rpm or higher..
The check engine light just popped on today as I was on the 403 . ( yay..)
So I'm going to replace the fuel filter and the air filter, even if thats not the cause of the problems, won't hurt to replace them condering I'm @ 228,200k.
Any brands you would recommend? I was looking @ Fram, yay/nay?
Spark plugs were just replaced with new wires, but the (stealer)dealership put some cheap-o max power wires, so god knows what brand the plugs are...
again recommend any good plugs? I'm thinking MSD wires...
Thanks for the help! Smile

Sorry, I don't know why but I thought your car was an '05 ... since it's a Zetec you might also consider the DPFE as a potential problem too.

Motorcraft (Ford) are the best plugs IMO, but pricey ... otherwise any brand name is good, although I would steer away from the Plus 4s - I had a bad experience with them.

If you're going to spend big-money on MSD wires, you're better off going to Magnecor - they will essentially give you full power for the rest of the cars life.

Fram filters are good - for oil and air ... I personally go for the Motorcraft but I bring them up cheap from the states; there are a couple of premium brands out there, but if you change your filters regularly most people consider it overkill.

Where are you located ... any of our members with an SCT XCal2 or 3 (lots of us) can read the code for you (give you a head start with the service folks) ... if you're near Brampton I could do it for you.
I can read codes as well, if your in the east end. I'm in Scarborough.
I'm out in the sticks, port Dover, turkey point. Yeah it sucks, not being by civilization that is.
Thanks for the offers though.
I am bringing it to the dealership where I bought it from just this past Saturday, and the owner said that it will be a no charge fix on any of the problems. (one would hope so, no?)
With all your help so far I got some shopping to do. (Yay!) and with contacts at speed shops I'm sure msd wires won't be too bad.
Thanks again guys! I'll keep you posted on what was up. My bet is on fuel filter and cheap plugs.
p0440 was one of the codes that popped up and p0445... The garage cleared the code and runs much better.
(05-28-2011, 02:23 AM)blackbirdphoto Wrote: [ -> ]p0440 was one of the codes that popped up and p0445... The garage cleared the code and runs much better.

Clearing the code would not make any difference to how the car runs, unless of course they also fixed the source of the problem.

FYI - p0440 is "Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction" and p0445 is "Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted"

Glad to hear the car's running better.
Fram is s**t Wink

their oil filters are made with cardboard, amongst other cheaper parts to it.

air filters maybe, but i wouldn't do a fram oil filter i dont think.
I agree with Mystake on the Fram filters. Want proof, just cut one open. Their full of garbage parts/material.
Good to know about the filters. Thanks guys!
I'm just glad my car is back to normal now. Smile
Hey,

A tip on the ZX5 which I had some badass luck with. I don't want to scare you but if you notice your park lights go out and burn the fuse. Check the rear harness in the hatch-jam...

For filters and oil I have an Amsoil acct if you want to check it out and order yourself some of that just PM me and I'll pass on the Acct # and password with instructions.

http://www.amsoil.com

Like said above, by clearing the codes it will just return later and may actually cause damage before the Codes return again.

Well keep us posted and good luck at the stealership!