FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: ottawa install shops or DIY?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm one or two paycheques away from getting some raceland coilovers.

I plan on going as low as is possible for me to go, all things considered (for example the speed bumps around my parking lot lol).

i expect it to be tucking and therefore rubbing. I also read that someone from FJ (that amanda girl or something) had 5mm spacers on the front due to the stock rim offset? and did some grinding down on the 'knuckle' or so?

also, can this type of thing be DIY with just basic tools? as in, impact gun and socket set? and, a grinder I suppose? I have air tools just no compressor - i suppose i may as well consider investing in one sooner than later.
If you're just installing pre-assembled coilovers, yes its an easy job to do and basic tools is all you need. I've ripped apart my shocks/struts twice, worked on NOS's car to remove his, and worked on 2 Mazda 3's suspension (basically the same as ours). Its not that hard. Just note its nice to have a good floor jack and a friend with a case of beer helping.
You'll just need to go get an alignment afterwards!
I know the Canadian Tire on Carling are 'tuner friendly', and supposedly have one of the best alignment guys in Ottawa. Maybe give them a shout and see?
Canadian Tire = Last shop I'd ever deal with.
(05-24-2011, 12:56 PM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]Canadian Tire = Last shop I'd ever deal with.

That's what I thought too, until I found out that the Motorsports Club of Ottawa (autocross, lapping, SOLO2 guys) all use them for their suspension work. Two of the guys (a service manager and the allignment tech) are ex-race mechanics supposedly, and are active members in the MCO. Alot of the Mazda guys in town use them, from Proteges to RX8s and Mazdaspeed3s...
What reldridge said,

Ralph is a front end technician at the carling canadian tire and as mentioned, is highly recommended by the MCO people. I believe ralph is MCO too and that most MCO use him too.

I would not hesitate for an instant to take my focus to Ralph, purely on what i've heard about him from others.

... just saying

I'll take a peak at them but being a canadian tire and closer in the city, I'd think I'd have to pay a few bills if I were to have them install the suspension - that's what you were suggesting right?
http://forums.focaljet.com/suspension/64...cus-3.html

the pics in that thread show how they are packaged. Looks assembled to me? I don't know what those shiny things are in the first pic (off to the left).

thread says stock 6 spoke rub hard, will rolling fenders be enuff to fix that?
is it typical that she had to grind the... knuckle I think it said?
The shiny things are your adjustment wrenches, to adjust the height of the coilover.

Actually, since they come pre-assembled, it's a pretty quick job. As long as there is nothing seized, figure 1 hour each for the fronts (maybe less), and a few hours for the rear. Nothing more than hand tools and maybe an electric impact should be needed. Depends on rust or seized bolts.

For the grinding of the inside of the strut mount in the knuckle, that's the first I've seen that. Then again, most are slightly tapered, and the Raceland's don't appear to be.

If you have the tools, and they space to do it, I'd do the install yourself, and then just get it aligned. I did my suspension install... Smile
thanks reldridge, i don't acutally have the space but I think I know where I could go to have some. Worst case scenario I could do it on someone I know's driveway.

What's this tapering you speak of? Most what are slightly tapered? How does that play in?

afaik the front is completely unseized Big Grin ford just did the coil springs on extended warranty so the front should come out easily.

There is one slight problem, it is 160GBP to ship to Canada, versus 90GBP to the U.S. Gotta find my passport lol...
Tapered at the bottom on the strut, where it meets the knuckle. That's why they we grinding the knuckle bigger to accept the larger strut body.

-Ryan
I know a few people that were not happy with the carling CT alignments and resorted doing it themselves.

http://www.sr20forum.com/technical-infor...ent-3.html

are you planning on using this in the winter? If so, get a decent amount of grease on those coilovers or swap them out for winter time or else they will be seized by next spring. lots of the midnightruns guys swap there coilovers back to stock to avoid costly rebuilds.

As for the installation, its straight forward, will take you 3-4 hours for the 1st time, then down to 2 hours once you get the hang of it. Soak all the nuts and bolts the day before with some sort of rust remover.
hoping to park the focus for winter actually. At least, that's the current plan if finances allow it