FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Air conditioning problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings. My wife has a 2000 zx3 and has been away in England studying. I took the car out the other day for a run and the a/c will not work.

The geen a/c light works, the recirculating light will work and does close flap to recirculate air. Tried all fan speed settings. Even tried flipping to defrost to start a/c but nothing. I noticed that the a/c radiator cooling fan does not come on when a/c button pushed. The a/c had been working fine last time I took it out.

thought maybe the relay? i know where it is but how do you remove?

is there a way to jump low-pressure switch to see if that is the problem?

any ideas appreciated.

peter
How long has the car been sitting? Perhaps the refridgerant has leaked out? When the AC is on, can you feel the clutch on the compressor 'engage'?

-Ryan
(06-11-2011, 03:30 AM)reldridge Wrote: [ -> ]How long has the car been sitting? Perhaps the refridgerant has leaked out? When the AC is on, can you feel the clutch on the compressor 'engage'?

-Ryan

has been sitting about 4 weeks - was working fine at that time

does not seem to be any engagement, no clutch engagement, no power draw on engine, no cooling fan coming on - absolutely nothing changes when a/c button comes on other than it lights up
found the low pressure sensor and when short across it the a/c compressor and cooling fan come on so system is low

anyone recharge the system themselves? CTC has red tek system with r12 but the focus has r134 correct? can you buy 134 at automotive store then?

thanks
(06-11-2011, 08:07 AM)yamin Wrote: [ -> ]found the low pressure sensor and when short across it the a/c compressor and cooling fan come on so system is low

anyone recharge the system themselves? CTC has red tek system with r12 but the focus has r134 correct? can you buy 134 at automotive store then?

thanks

I buy R134 recharge kits in the states - IIRC not available here.

BTW - red tek R12a "hydrocarbon refrigerant" is basically propane.
how much do the r134 kits cost in the states?
is there anyway to buy r134 in Ontario at all?

what about testing pressure in system to see how low it is? i have family probably coming up from states later this summer that could bring some r134 up.

i think if pressure is too low and i jump the low pressure switch then could maybe seize the compressor? can i check with regular pressure guage at all? when i jumped the LPS to test it the system cooled right away so can't be too low
(06-11-2011, 12:37 PM)05blackzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]how much do the r134 kits cost in the states?

A 12oz container is about 14 bucks and a full kit with 17oz, a valve, and a gauge is about 35 ... you can also get the R134a with stop leak or with a fluorescent dye for leak detection.

You can also get R134a with something called Sub-zero synthetic A/C booster which is supposed to increase cooling efficiency and reduce engine drag which I might try this year just for shits and giggles. 13oz with a dispenser is 28.00
(06-11-2011, 01:25 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]You can also get R134a with something called Sub-zero synthetic A/C booster which is supposed to increase cooling efficiency and reduce engine drag which I might try this year just for shits and giggles. 13oz with a dispenser is 28.00

Getting a little off topic but I'm interested in hearing how that works if you try it Ken. I've always found my A/C to be a little on the weak side.

-George
the compressor could have also died like it did in my car.
yur out of 134a, buy the kit from ctc cause you need the fill tube that snaps on to the service valve which is located on the passenger side, under the fender linning
I've used the Redtek stuff, it works. PITA pulling the wheel liner on the Focus though. Ford didn't make it an easy task to get to the low pressure side of the system.
I can get you R134 easy. but you have to buy a whole jug... it's about 80 lbs. mean while the car only need couple of oz. you can sell the rest for profit. btw, I've seen small cans of refrigerant in princess auto. not sure if it's the propane one or not.