FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Network Access Storage (NAS) questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well, I got it to send me a notification once last night, tried saving the information I had entered to preserve what I'd done and then asked it to send a second test message and nothing doing Dodgy

I did check directly on the Bell webmail page afterwards to see if the subsequent messages got thrown in junk mail and nothing there either.

Any ideas?

Oh and how exactly do I setup a backup of my computers to this thing? The box doesn't appear to have its own backup s/w so I assume I need backup software for the machines right? Both machines are running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. What I'm hoping to achieve is a scenario where I can back up both machines to this NAS and if either machine suffers a HDD failure I can simply pop in a rescue disk, access the NAS and let the thing restore the HDD to pre failure condition.

I'll also be trying to move my iTunes music to the box as well over the weekend.

Why yes I am an ambitious idiot, why do you ask? Tongue

NefCanuck
Okay trying to send the iTunes music to the NAS and of course the instructions from the DSM software and the iTunes instructions don't mesh at all Undecided

Am I supposed to manually shove all the music onto the NAS and let iTunes rebuild the library or should I be able to see the NAS when I open the file folder in iTunes or Windows Explorer?

NefCanuck
Next question:

My NAS file transfer performance can be described as "slower than *I* am" at best, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Using my regular backup program and backing up to the NAS, I get the same speed results as when I had my USB drive doing the backups and I know that can't be right (average write speed is 140kb/s to the NAS drive, whereas doing a backup to the second HDD in my system nets me about 500kb/s)

I let the software assign the next available IP address when I was configuring the NAS.

Could that be part of the issue and can I change the IP address without royally screwing up the shared folders and the mapping of them that I have set up?

I feel like I fell into a swimming pool with a rock tied around my neck Undecided

NefCanuck
Weird about the saving being slow. Have you checked Synology's forum and wiki for other people with the same issues?

As long as you aren't getting an IP conflict on your network, the IP address being the 'next available' won't matter.

If you ping the device from you PC, what are your times? Also, what OS are you running on the PC?
No IP conflicts (I'm up to .19, which should give you an idea how wired this little condo of mine is LOL)

Slow issues are all over the SYnology forum, but no rhyme nor reason to hem.

How would I ping the NAS from my PC?

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64, both the desktop & laptop

Oh and if I thought the wired connection was slow, the wireless (G only thanks to the Bell modem/router) is glacial....

5 hours to back up 60GB? Tongue

NefCanuck
If your nas offers the option to link up through USB, do that for the initial upload of files. The two bottlenecks are the 100mb network and the memory buffer trying to write to the NAS.

Think of how long it would take 60GB to transfer via USB, consider how "fast" that connection is supposed to be, the reality is the network is much slower. Be patient.

For notifications, consider creating a new NAS email address, i think Bell lets you have 15 addys. Or create a gmail addys.
Ah, I see, so a straight USB cable between the laptop & the NAS and the laptop will pick up the share without issues? I assume that's right since I've finally nailed down the laptop seeing the shares wirelessly.

As to the slowness issues with the PC, I'm on Bell and have the 2 wire modem/router combo. Since my PC MB has a gigabit ethernet port, I'm wondering if I got a modem/router combo with B/G/N with gigabit ports should that not solve my slowness issues with at least the desktop PC? I'm almost certain based on what I've been reading that the Bell 2 Wire modem is a bottleneck for wired systems.

Apparently setting the Bell 2 wire into "bridge mode" is almost impossible without resorting to hacks and since I have to be able to give the modem back, hacking it isn't an option.

The issue is that the DSM software on the NAS *changes* the password I want to store. I enter my password, test email works. I hit save and the password actually changes! I know this b/c the password for my email account is longer than whatever password it is that the software is trying to save Dodgy

NefCanuck
Maybe try hooking up a small Linksys or Dlink gigabit switch (under $50) and hook the laptop and NAS direct to it. See if that helps, it will rule out the 2wire.

-Ryan
Okay so I bought a dlink gigabit switch and confirmed in Windows that I now have a gigabit connection between the NAS and the PC.

However the backup program I'm using still gives me craptastic throughput from the PC to the NAS when backing up (we're talking sub 100mb/s speeds here, usually bottoms out around 80mb/s) whereas a cloning to a second drive in the same PC nets me 500mb/s.

Adding the switch did relieve the one issue with everything connected to the Bell 2wire. Try to run the backup and my web surfing was chocked to sludge, not so now.

After the switch was added, during one of the many wire swappings, I somehow managed to bung up the network connection for the NAS to the point where I had to re create them all (used this as an excuse to manually assign an IP address now)

But I think I've bunged something up huge now because now the file transfers between the PC and the NAS are so slow that the PC now says a 96.0 GB file move to the NAS will take 7 hours!

ARGH!

NefCanuck
Further updates, bought a Gigabit *router* and that solved one issue (a dlink 655) noew there is a true gigabit connection and the backups go almost as fast when the PVC was backing up to the second drive I have in the PC.

*However* the wireless portion of the dlink is giving me fits because of the security options it has aren't playing nice with my wireless alarm clock in my bedroom ???

Anyone know anything about WAP/WEP etc?

NefCanuck
WPA is a better security protocol to keep the baddies out. Better encryption, stronger keys, etc. That being said, I only run WEP in my house, since I'm out in the country, and you can't pick up my Wi-Fi network from the road due to location in my house.

If possible, run WPA2, as long as all of your Wi-Fi enabled devices can take it. If you alarm clock is older, you'll probably have to run WEP. I'd check the manual/manufacturers site of the alarm clock to see what works.

Technically, you could run two networks in the house, one off of the Bell 2Wire with WEP for the clock (with only 1 DHCP address in the scope, so even if it's 'hacked' they can't go anywhere), and then the WPA2 for everything else off the Dlink.
Well, the d-link 655 router I bought offers a "guest" mode that I knocked down to WEP, as long as I don't let the guest mode and the regular mode talk to each other, I should be good right? (Guest mode means the radio can't access the NAS, slightly annoying though not a deal breaker)

Appears frankly that the WAP implementation on the radio is borked somehow, I even tried a newer firmware, didn't resolve a blessed thing.

NefCanuck
That should be good, as long as guest mode only allows Internet access, and not access to the internal network.

I know some of the older WEP stuff, even though there is a new firmware, doesn't always work well with WPA after the fact.
(07-20-2011, 11:53 AM)reldridge Wrote: [ -> ]That should be good, as long as guest mode only allows Internet access, and not access to the internal network.

I know some of the older WEP stuff, even though there is a new firmware, doesn't always work well with WPA after the fact.

Yeah that's what dlinks literature says regarding guest mode, so my only risk is that someone breaks in and runs up my bandwidth.....

Though I note with some mild alarm the firmware on this router hasn't been updated since 2009, or should I even be worried about that?

NefCanuck
I'd update the firmware to the lastest form Dlink for now.
(07-19-2011, 02:32 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Further updates, bought a Gigabit *router* and that solved one issue (a dlink 655) noew there is a true gigabit connection and the backups go almost as fast when the PVC was backing up to the second drive I have in the PC.

*However* the wireless portion of the dlink is giving me fits because of the security options it has aren't playing nice with my wireless alarm clock in my bedroom ???

Anyone know anything about WAP/WEP etc?

NefCanuck

good choice, I've had mine for a couple of years now and I'm very pleased with it.
Daniel ... I have the dlink 625 and recall reading in the lit that one form of security was not compatible with wireless gigabit - I'm pretty sure it was the "stronger" of the two ... may not apply to your router, so FWIW.
Need Support?
Have Beer?

I have time..
Well, the current state of things is that everything works as expected except the radio won't wake to internet radio, buzzer only.

But now I'm curious as to how I can get remote access working. I have a fixed IP for the NAS but the IP for the modem is dynamic, so how exactly does one get past that fact to access the NAS from outside of the local network?

NefCanuck
Go with a dynamic DNS system like http://www.dyndns.org - they allow you to have a custom, goofy-looking DNS name for your home network endpoint. If you ever power-cycle the modem, or just pick a day to do this once a month, log in and refresh the DNS name with your current IP. Then, depending on the port used to serve the webpage (80, 8080, etc) just use that DNS name you picked - like http://myhome.dyndns.org:8080 where you have a rule in your router that forwards port 8080 to the internal IP of your NAS (which should be listening at that port).

Let us know if you need more help configuring the router.
Pages: 1 2 3