FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: SYNC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While waiting for my Focus to be found, I'm doing some research to see what SYNC can do for me. Maybe 'cause i'm old and my brain is a little addled, I'm more confused. If anyone is fortunate to have it, can they try to straighten me out? What can SYNC do?
(06-24-2011, 10:09 PM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]While waiting for my Focus to be found, I'm doing some research to see what SYNC can do for me. Maybe 'cause i'm old and my brain is a little addled, I'm more confused. If anyone is fortunate to have it, can they try to straighten me out? What can SYNC do?

Sync can add functionality to the car by giving you voice control over many functions that would otherwise be much more difficult ... full control over your phone through the sound system is the big one for us, then there's voice control of the sound system and in some cases the climate control system and the navigation system.

If you have an ipod or other portable digital device for music, that too can be connected to the car and controlled by voice through the sync system.

Additionally, I think the latest versions of sync may offer wireless connectivity for your iphone or laptop and can let you receive and manage emails etc by voice ... ie: it reads your emails to you and allows you to respond verbally.

My version of sync doesn't have the last bit, so I may have got some of that wrong ... in any event, think of it as a voice-controlled remote for many of the cars systems as well as the things that can connect to it.
I'm off for the first 2 weeks of July if you want some lessons lol

I have sync in my mustang and I'm going to hate losing it when I sell the car soon Sad
(06-24-2011, 11:59 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm off for the first 2 weeks of July if you want some lessons lol

I have sync in my mustang and I'm going to hate losing it when I sell the car soon Sad

Buy a Focus Titanium, loaded.......... I may need lessons
What SYNC can do for you depends on what software version you have installed in your car (In addition to any limitations that your cellphone provider may have)

In its most basic form SYNC allows you to use a compatible Bluetooth equipped phone hands free, which is important given the new laws in Ontario regarding the use of hand held devices by the driver (IE: *NO* while the car is in motion)

Depending on the capabilities of your phone you may also be able to play music from the phone through your car's stereo via Bluetooth. If your car has a USB port, you may also be able to connect a USB stick or USB HDD with mp3's on it. The advantage of this versus the Bluetooth connection is that you can search your music by artist, track name, genre etc. Bluetooth control is very basic, being limited to Play, Pause, Next Track, Random On/Off.

As to reading text messages to you and composing them, I don't think that is available on SYNC equipped Canadian vehicles, mainly because the carriers up here seem reluctant to support it (In fact you'll notice a marked difference in what capabilities are advertised as being available on US ads vs. Canadian ads for SYNC)

Visit Ford's Sync My Ride website, enter your car's VIN and it will tell you what capabilities that your car has and what software version your car can be upgraded to.

NefCanuck
(06-25-2011, 12:33 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]What SYNC can do for you depends on what software version you have installed in your car (In addition to any limitations that your cellphone provider may have)

In its most basic form SYNC allows you to use a compatible Bluetooth equipped phone hands free, which is important given the new laws in Ontario regarding the use of hand held devices by the driver (IE: *NO* while the car is in motion)

Depending on the capabilities of your phone you may also be able to play music from the phone through your car's stereo via Bluetooth. If your car has a USB port, you may also be able to connect a USB stick or USB HDD with mp3's on it. The advantage of this versus the Bluetooth connection is that you can search your music by artist, track name, genre etc. Bluetooth control is very basic, being limited to Play, Pause, Next Track, Random On/Off.

As to reading text messages to you and composing them, I don't think that is available on SYNC equipped Canadian vehicles, mainly because the carriers up here seem reluctant to support it (In fact you'll notice a marked difference in what capabilities are advertised as being available on US ads vs. Canadian ads for SYNC)

Visit Ford's Sync My Ride website, enter your car's VIN and it will tell you what capabilities that your car has and what software version your car can be upgraded to.

NefCanuck
When I get a VINUndecided

(06-24-2011, 11:59 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]... I'm going to hate losing it when I sell the car soon Sad

O/T How come?
(06-26-2011, 01:24 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2011, 11:59 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]... I'm going to hate losing it when I sell the car soon Sad

O/T How come?

Baby on the way and I have to lose the car payment before the gf goes on mat leave Big Grin
(06-27-2011, 02:45 AM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Baby on the way and I have to lose the car payment before the gf goes on mat leave Big Grin
Ah, gotcha.
That sucks, but at least you've got your priorities straight. Thumbs up.
(06-27-2011, 02:45 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2011, 02:45 AM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Baby on the way and I have to lose the car payment before the gf goes on mat leave Big Grin
Ah, gotcha.
That sucks, but at least you've got your priorities straight. Thumbs up.

True enough - time for a second beater Focus Gord! And congrats on the kid!
Thanx guys!! And yes I'm working on a wagon once the mustang is gone Big Grin