FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2 Mufflers???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was under the car and was wondering why there are 2 mufflers? There is a bigger longer one before the rear axle and a little one after...could I lose the big on all together and run a straight pipe or would that affect my E-test?Huh Also can anyone recommend a good place to get new rear sway bar bushings and end links? Thanx.
(07-04-2011, 02:28 AM)liquidfocus Wrote: [ -> ]I was under the car and was wondering why there are 2 mufflers? There is a bigger longer one before the rear axle and a little one after...could I lose the big on all together and run a straight pipe or would that affect my E-test?Huh Also can anyone recommend a good place to get new rear sway bar bushings and end links? Thanx.

The muffler and the resonator are all about the sound ... it's basically the condition of your engine, the cat and your O2 sensors that will determine the outcome of the e-test.

I recommend Moog endlinks, but I buy all my stuff in the states for a fraction of the cost here ... so I can't recommend any canadian supplier - maybe Performance Improvements?

If you want regular econo parts try Crappy tire or partssource.
(07-04-2011, 02:28 AM)liquidfocus Wrote: [ -> ]I was under the car and was wondering why there are 2 mufflers? There is a bigger longer one before the rear axle and a little one after...could I lose the big on all together and run a straight pipe or would that affect my E-test?Huh Also can anyone recommend a good place to get new rear sway bar bushings and end links? Thanx.

I see you're in Windsor ... if they have Autozone across the border they stock Moog parts ... the rear ones look more like bolts than anything and they tend to be somewhat generic ... the fronts are more application specific.
Okay...so the first "muffler" is a resonator...sorry but this is my first Focus...lol Now Neon's I know, just never saw a resonator that size and shape before. So I could take it off and run a straight pipe an have no issues then except for a slight increase in exhaust sound. And thx on the end links...I'll have a look for the moog ones.
(07-04-2011, 02:44 AM)liquidfocus Wrote: [ -> ]Okay...so the first "muffler" is a resonator...sorry but this is my first Focus...lol Now Neon's I know, just never saw a resonator that size and shape before. So I could take it off and run a straight pipe an have no issues then except for a slight increase in exhaust sound. And thx on the end links...I'll have a look for the moog ones.

Actually you'll be surprised how much louder it is without the resonator ... a lot of people prefer to take the back muffler off (also known "lunchbox delete") simply because it's easier and the sound is nice.

Moog front endlinks are K80066
Rear endlinks are K90129

(07-04-2011, 03:07 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2011, 02:44 AM)liquidfocus Wrote: [ -> ]Okay...so the first "muffler" is a resonator...sorry but this is my first Focus...lol Now Neon's I know, just never saw a resonator that size and shape before. So I could take it off and run a straight pipe an have no issues then except for a slight increase in exhaust sound. And thx on the end links...I'll have a look for the moog ones.

Actually you'll be surprised how much louder it is without the resonator ... a lot of people prefer to take the back muffler off (also known "lunchbox delete") simply because it's easier and the sound is nice.

Moog front endlinks are K80066
Rear endlinks are K90129

Thanks for the info...much appreciated!
As Ken said^
I got the "lunchbox delete" done on my car. Cheapest way to make the car sound NICEE. Not too loud, almost as quiet as stock in idle, cops wouldn't bother you at all, and doesn't drone on the highway. All that....$60Smile Maybe cheaper if you know a small shop.
(07-04-2011, 03:56 AM)arpaul15 Wrote: [ -> ]As Ken said^
I got the "lunchbox delete" done on my car. Cheapest way to make the car sound NICEE. Not too loud, almost as quiet as stock in idle, cops wouldn't bother you at all, and doesn't drone on the highway. All that....$60Smile Maybe cheaper if you know a small shop.

Or if you have access to a welderBig Grin
older focus with the zetec will have a more noticable increase in sound volume

but yeah its not bad for what it is
I have both resonator and muffler still, but mine is 10 years old and it got noticibly louder over time due to natural wear and tear. I dont have an exhaust but some ppl think I do and they ask what kind when they see the tail pipe i had welded on the end
If you're bored, do the delete. If you want to make a noticeable improvement, get a cat-back exhaust. If you want more improvement and still likely e-test passable, get a high-flow catalytic to go with the cat-back exhaust.

Personally, I'd go with at least the cat-back. On the stock manifold and catalytic most systems don't make the car that much louder and you get a few WHP for your trouble to go with the much nicer sound.
(07-05-2011, 12:52 AM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]If you're bored, do the delete. If you want to make a noticeable improvement, get a cat-back exhaust. If you want more improvement and still likely e-test passable, get a high-flow catalytic to go with the cat-back exhaust.

Personally, I'd go with at least the cat-back. On the stock manifold and catalytic most systems don't make the car that much louder and you get a few WHP for your trouble to go with the much nicer sound.
Ya...would like to do a full exhaust but I need to replace the struts and shocks first...have the OEM's on it still and it rides like crap...but def down the road will be an exhaust. It's actually goin for tint tomorrow morning and then possibly thinkin of some black housing projectors for it. But I have to say, for my first focus I am lovin the car so far, and there is a ton of stuff out there for it too.