FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Thought this was a good deal ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I already have 3 Zetec engines (1 in the car, 1 from Sean - thank you, and I from the wrecked track rat) ... but they are all fairly high mileage (200k+) ... so in terms of getting boosted again my instincts tell me to rebuild first ... but then, why just rebuild, why not build and the answer of course is ... where's the budget.

So I was cruising the American site that shall go unnamed and lo and behold I found my answer - or at least I did after a couple of weeks of haggling.

This is what I got:

Zetec crate engine with less than 2k miles (that's 2,000 miles) ... never boosted, never disassembled, all original, exactly as it came from Ford ...

[Image: IMG_3227.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3225.jpg]

$540 US including shipping to my place in NY ... that's 528 CAD in total, plus I'll have to pay HST at the border ... all in all a pretty good deal I think.
AWESOME DEAL!!!
That's perfect for what you need, and leaves some fazzols in the pocket for modding.
That's the one I posted up for someone that was looking for a zetec a little while ago... Topspeed had 3 of them at one point for sale... Was considering it, but I don't think I'm at the time in my life where I should be building an engine... I'm thinking my next house with a garage! Good buy though Ken! Can't wait to see how you build plays out... There's many threads on other forums to get ideas!
(07-15-2011, 07:18 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]That's the one I posted up for someone that was looking for a zetec a little while ago... Topspeed had 3 of them at one point for sale... Was considering it, but I don't think I'm at the time in my life where I should be building an engine... I'm thinking my next house with a garage! Good buy though Ken! Can't wait to see how you build plays out... There's many threads on other forums to get ideas!

Thanks ... the engine that came out of the wrecked red ZX5 was already successfully supercharged with water meth and a good tune ... but when it came time to spend the money to put it into the silver car, I kind of balked of the idea of spending all that labour to re and re an engine with over 230,000 k on it, my spidey sense said don't do it.

But now, I can simply transfer over all the go-fast parts, while the engine is out of the car, and then the labour cost makes sense since this is for all intents and purposes a brand new engine.

And I still have a couple of engines I can slowly build for a possible turbo application later on.
wow, a great find.
nice score! If it was me I would actually contemplate building that one, you would only need to have the cylinders honed rather than machined so that technically would be cheaper...plus its already out of the car Smile
(07-15-2011, 12:13 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]nice score! If it was me I would actually contemplate building that one, you would only need to have the cylinders honed rather than machined so that technically would be cheaper...plus its already out of the car Smile

Damn you!

Seriously though ... I already have two engines out of the car, so that's not an issue ... but I really don't want to put them back into the car without rebuilding them - which entails time and money. The budget for this kind of project will by necessity be spread out over a longer period of time - which means, no boosted engine for a while.

What I really want is to get boosted again in the short term, with a reliable low-mileage engine - in time for a couple or three more track weekends this year - I really, really miss the added 60 or so horses.

With the engines out of the car I can easily re and re the S/C myself - so the only cost remaining is the labour to re and re of the engine and I don't have to wait to do it.
WOW ken!!

That is a STEAL!!!! Congrats on a wicked deal!