FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Focus Feels Loose...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had a customer come to my counter today with a 05 ZX5 hatch.
He was looking into purchasing the optional rear spoiler for his car (either the top-mount wing, or the spoiler that sits below the glass) to give him more downforce in the rear end.

He was complaining about the car feeling loose at highway speeds. He described it almost as driving a hovercraft down the road. Almost squirly.

Car checked out fine mechanically. I suggested that he opt for a suspension upgrade (lowering springs and/or struts) to balance out the car a little better. Mentioned that for the price of the wing, the results may be better with something different.

Have any of you guys run into this problem??...and/or found a solution??

06gtpony,Feb 24 2009, 10:48 PM Wrote:Had a customer come to my counter today with a 05 ZX5 hatch.
He was looking into purchasing the optional rear spoiler for his car (either the top-mount wing, or the spoiler that sits below the glass) to give him more downforce in the rear end.

He was complaining about the car feeling loose at highway speeds.  He described it almost as driving a hovercraft down the road.  Almost squirly.

Car checked out fine mechanically.  I suggested that he opt for a suspension upgrade (lowering springs and/or struts) to balance out the car a little better.  Mentioned that for the price of the wing, the results may be better with something different.

Have any of you guys run into this problem??...and/or found a solution??
[right][snapback]281630[/snapback][/right]

You didn't mention whether or not the condition is recent or since the car was new (never heard of a new Focus described as squirrely) ... and mileage on an 05 could easily be the problem ... it could be worn parts - struts, bushings, tires etc ... or a maintenance problem like under inflated tires

In any event, there will never be enough downforce from a spoiler at legal speeds to make any difference to the handling - so whatever the problem, a spoiler won't be the solution.
Might be an alignment problem. Too much negative camber.
the only time i felt a slight "loose" sensation on my focus was when the spedo was maxed out.
Was he driving it down snow-packed roads? The stunts some idiots will pull and then deliberately leave out of the conversation.

On that note, did anyone responsible for the work to be done take it out for a rip and duplicate the issue? It's kind of irresponsible to recommend a lowering kit (especially at a dealership) if you haven't experienced the problem first-hand yourself.

That's kind of like:

"I get light-headed and feel like I'm going to pass out when I run really hard for a really long period of time. Could it be my heart or am I out of shape?"

"Have you tried skydiving? No impact!" - unless your chute f***s up :lol: :lol:
My car feels a little loose sometimes, especially in the winter for a few small reasons.
- Low Tire Pressure
- Running 14" rims with soft sidewall snowtires
- Roads have sunk/raised and cause the focus to feel funny esp on 401.

In the summer with 17's on it, its very tight.
Have the bushings and suspension looked at. I know my (not sure what they're called) bars are loose and clunk when going over bumps and such. I know these make the car feel loose too.

I always thought the Focus was a pretty road heavy car for it's class.

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 25 2009, 08:08 AM Wrote:Was he driving it down snow-packed roads? The stunts some idiots will pull and then deliberately leave out of the conversation.[right][snapback]281638[/snapback][/right]

That's a good point. LOL

The car was checked out thoroughly at the dealership...and test-driven by a tech - who was unfortunately unable to duplicate the concern.

ANTHONYD,Feb 25 2009, 08:53 AM Wrote:Have the bushings and suspension looked at. I know my (not sure what they're called) bars are loose and clunk when going over bumps and such. I know these make the car feel loose too.

I always thought the Focus was a pretty road heavy car for it's class.
[right][snapback]281649[/snapback][/right]

Sway bar endlinks?

Yeah, if it was driven at speed and not duplicated... he's prolly driving like a retard.

I could even bend my old SPI sedan around banked corners @ 150 KM/H and it wasn't floaty. That's with a 18mm front sway bar, no rear and the stock SE suspension components - in other words, crap.
Nope, I know exactly what he feels.
Oh man, it's when you are driving along the, back end takes a sec to come in line and when going over a man hole the back end kinda of feels like both wheels are sepperating then they come back together. The only solution I've heard is lower the bitch and tighten her up. You get use to it after a while but I've had it since new and I think it is only in the 05's before they changed the Suspension in the 05.5 +.

Also the only upside about it is when I'm driving fast on a curving road with snow on it I can feel the wheels seperate and both or one grab the traction needed to stick in the corners. Only once was I sideways but there was ice, can't control mother nature.
Scorcher000,Feb 25 2009, 12:39 PM Wrote:Nope, I know exactly what he feels.
Oh man, it's when you are driving along the, back end takes a sec to come in line and when going over a man hole the back end kinda of feels like both wheels are sepperating then they come back together. The only solution I've heard is lower the bitch and tighten her up. You get use to it after a while but I've had it since new and I think it is only in the 05's before they changed the Suspension in the 05.5 +.

Also the only upside about it is when I'm driving fast on a curving road with snow on it I can feel the wheels seperate and both or one grab the traction needed to stick in the corners. Only once was I sideways but there was ice, can't control mother nature.
[right][snapback]281656[/snapback][/right]

Yes exactly!
This is precisely what he described.
Spinal,Feb 25 2009, 12:54 AM Wrote:the only time i felt a slight "loose" sensation on my focus was when the spedo was maxed out.
[right][snapback]281635[/snapback][/right]

:puke:
I've never heard of the focus being described as handling like a hovercraft.

It's a term I could use for the mustang considering the axle path over the suspension travel, but not the focus...

could his crackpipe be a little low?

granted someone has already corroborated the symptom, so maybe it's just a suspension tweak away.
Suspension indeed, I even had the garage manager from Colony Ford out in it and it scared the crap out of him. He thought he had to replace the hole thing lol.
Scorcher000,Feb 25 2009, 03:25 PM Wrote:Suspension indeed, I even had the garage manager from Colony Ford out in it and it scared the crap out of him. He thought he had to replace the hole thing lol.
[right][snapback]281662[/snapback][/right]

You didn't by any chance sell this car recently, did you?
My customer mentioned that he recently acquired the 05 and has never felt a car do this before. LOL
Nahh, he didn't. I think he put a bit of money in it and effort just to sell it like that.
Tell him to get an alignment. he has too much toe-in, in the rear.

his problem is related to the passive rear steer.
So, when he hits a bump the spring compresses and he gets more toe in, and the rear tire fight for traction as they both point towards each other. thus u get the wagging rear end. this will be more noticable in low traction situations.

the max toe-in i would recoment is 1/8" total. i actually run 1/8" out, but i auto-x and like the car rotation.

anywasy,, if he had a little toe-out, on a bump the tire would have to pass neutral toe before it gets to a region of too much toe-in (which at this point would be unliekly)
his problem is related to the passive rear steer.

This is exact what it related too, not to forget that this is an independent rear suspension car, bumps do feel much softer.

Passive rear steer is what makes these cars handle so well, but the best part is being able to flick the rear around.
Alignment is fine. I have no iregular ware on my tires. No I haven't sold the car, still have it, love it and drive it everyday.
Ford probably realized this prob and fixed it in the new months above 2005 April, that's probably why there is 2 different suspension choises for that year.
Iether way it will be lowered and tightened up in the summer so for the last 105,000KM it just became normal.
by "alignemnt is fine". what is your exact alignment specs? do u have a printout. the "on spec" alignemtn can still be not optimal
Pages: 1 2