FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hints and tricks needed - flywheel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm in the process of taking the supercharger and other stuff off the late red car's engine to put on the new motor I just bought.

Everything came off no problem except the clutch and flywheel.

The engine is in my storage unit so no compressor or electricity ... and my cordless impact gun which is rated at 100 ft/lbs won't budge the bolts ... and when I try to use a socket all I do is turn the flywheel / crank.

I guess I could just jam something into the teeth of the flywheel to stop it from turning, but I'm loath to do that without knowing first if there's a better way.

Suggestions please and thanks.
(08-01-2011, 11:17 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]So I'm in the process of taking the supercharger and other stuff off the late red car's engine to put on the new motor I just bought.

Everything came off no problem except the clutch and flywheel.

The engine is in my storage unit so no compressor or electricity ... and my cordless impact gun which is rated at 100 ft/lbs won't budge the bolts ... and when I try to use a socket all I do is turn the flywheel / crank.

I guess I could just jam something into the teeth of the flywheel to stop it from turning, but I'm loath to do that without knowing first if there's a better way.

Suggestions please and thanks.

If you have a buddy who can come and help, putting a socket and long handle wrench on the front crank pulley nut will stop the engine from turning while you twist the flywheel nuts. Other than that, a LARGE flat head screwdriver or prybar holding the teeth of the flywheel is suggested in the repair manuals I have.
I took mine off on the floor with an extension bar and a small sledge hammer. Held my foot against the flywheel, pressing the extension and socket against and cracked the end with a hammer. Worked fine, the hammer impact would be similar to an impact but a little slower Smile the 2nd one I had my impact so that was much easier... maybe 20lb storage tank and an air impact would be simpler...iirc princess auto has these tanks onsale this week.
ZTW...,

Something that sometimes works for me is to slightly tighten it more.
Only slightly though.
Ive used this technique using impact, power bar, etc.
Sometimes this breaks the bond.

Or, apply some heat.

Good luck.
(08-06-2011, 11:43 AM)2009SEL Wrote: [ -> ]ZTW...,

Something that sometimes works for me is to slightly tighten it more.
Only slightly though.
Ive used this technique using impact, power bar, etc.
Sometimes this breaks the bond.

Or, apply some heat.

Good luck.

Thanks for this ... I hope I get to the point where I need to know it ... so far my problem has been trying to stop the flywheel from turning as I apply handheld torque to it. I'll know how all these suggestions work this weekend as I go back to the storage unit and try them out.

I also bought a 12-volt impact gun that plugs into the cigarette lighter that supposedly generates 271 ft lbs of torque - I can hardly conceive of this being true, but worth a try I guess.
I've sent you a PM.

What about using a pry bar between two opposing bolts to hold it in place while applying troque to the bolt you wish to loosen. Leaving all bolts in place until all have been broken free.
If you need a hand Ken just give me a ring or text.

Text is better lol
Those electric impact wrenches are pretty amazing... better if you can get an extension corded one, since they're more powerful and consume some heavy amperage. (ie 8A).

Are there any power sockets in your storage facility? Sometimes they have power built into the florescent fixtures... just a thought.

But the long bar and a hammer works pretty good. If it's a sharp force, you don't need much to stop the flywheel.
(08-11-2011, 06:34 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]Those electric impact wrenches are pretty amazing... better if you can get an extension corded one, since they're more powerful and consume some heavy amperage. (ie 8A).

Are there any power sockets in your storage facility? Sometimes they have power built into the florescent fixtures... just a thought.

But the long bar and a hammer works pretty good. If it's a sharp force, you don't need much to stop the flywheel.

No power or lights - it's an old sea freight container ... and yes my Mastercraft corded impact wrench easily generates 200 ft lbs of torque ... but in any event, I bought a 12v impact gun that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it did the trick where my DeWalt 18v cordless couldn't.

The amazing thing is how little I paid for it - I'd post it up but you wouldn't believe it.

Wagan 12v Impact Wrench