FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anyone replaced Power Steering Hoses?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of my hoses is completly pooched. Fluid goes in the pump and all over the driveway.
Has anyone here done a set of power steering lines?
Cost? Difficulty?
I'm very experienced with vehicle repairs, even if not on THIS car.
Any help or guidance for a DIYer would be appreciated.
Zetec? Is it the high pressure line that goes across the top of the exhaust manifold? If it's that one, I replaced it last fall. Not fun. You should be able to find a new 'jobber' one (I put on a Dorman branded one) for under $100. Easily doable with the car on jack stands or ramps.
(08-16-2011, 11:49 AM)reldridge Wrote: [ -> ]Zetec? Is it the high pressure line that goes across the top of the exhaust manifold? If it's that one, I replaced it last fall. Not fun. You should be able to find a new 'jobber' one (I put on a Dorman branded one) for under $100. Easily doable with the car on jack stands or ramps.

Yes, Zetec.
Yes, the pressure line.
I found another post with step-by-steps
Thanks dude!
Depending on how long you want to keep the car, you might want to consider taking the hose to an industrial hose and supply company and getting braided stainless lines made for the car.

I did this with the clutch feed line from the firewall to the top of the transmission housing for the slave cylinder. It will now likely outlast the rest of the car. It was also cheaper than Ford wanted for a replacement hose.

Given that I have a pinhole leak in one of my power steering hoses, it's just a matter of time until I do the same with both of them.
(08-16-2011, 10:10 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on how long you want to keep the car, you might want to consider taking the hose to an industrial hose and supply company and getting braided stainless lines made for the car.

be careful with that, with our winter weather and salt, these stainless stell braided lines hold more of the salt than a regular rubber hose. My mechanic was actually showing me a WRX with these braided brake lines where the salt deteriorated the whole line right down to the rubber. The line was frayed and he actually failed the guys safety because of it for fear that the frayed metal could splice the rubber lines.. He wont even install them on cars anymore.
(08-17-2011, 03:13 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2011, 10:10 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on how long you want to keep the car, you might want to consider taking the hose to an industrial hose and supply company and getting braided stainless lines made for the car.

be careful with that, with our winter weather and salt, these stainless stell braided lines hold more of the salt than a regular rubber hose. My mechanic was actually showing me a WRX with these braided brake lines where the salt deteriorated the whole line right down to the rubber. The line was frayed and he actually failed the guys safety because of it for fear that the frayed metal could splice the rubber lines.. He wont even install them on cars anymore.

Also: there is a very specific restrictor valve within the stock line ... if you have a new line made make sure they cut out that piece of the stock line and include it in the new ... that part is not sold separately.

And the reason I know is that I've been there and done that ... I blew a ps line at Calabogie last year because me SVT header was too close to my non-SVT ps line ... I have since replaced it with a Ford SVT ps line ... but the one I had custom made included a length of the OE hose to incorporate that valve.
^^ Good points there for sure. Smile My ride will never see snow again, so that's less of a worry for me. However, it's likely relevant for the rest of the world. That restrictor is a good point-out, too, Ken. Thanks man. Smile
i dunno what the how to says, but a set of crows foot wrench ends is a life saver for this job
So should I just go to Ford and buy one from them? It should come with all the necessary stuff ...
Or is an aftermarket unit just as good?
(08-17-2011, 09:54 AM)Platinum6316 Wrote: [ -> ]So should I just go to Ford and buy one from them? It should come with all the necessary stuff ...
Or is an aftermarket unit just as good?

Some pretty reputable aftermarket companies sell them ... Gates comes to mind ... you can't go wrong with Ford stuff of course, but no harm in saving a few bucks either ... go with a brand you've heard of.
For the love of god dont forget/make sure the hose comes with Teflon washers!
(08-18-2011, 07:46 AM)sonic_mikey Wrote: [ -> ]For the love of god dont forget/make sure the hose comes with Teflon washers!

Oh I will make sure of that! I went through that with another car ages ago.