FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: BMW advanced driving school - Calabogie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1st time driving this track and did it with the BMW advanced driving school. I love this track, been many, many times as a passenger, and my broken leg really put a dent in my snmmer plans but once I was healed up and could heel toe again, it was the 1st thing I did!

I will be going again this Friday with Speed merchants/MR. Can't wait! need to work on my lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDarJ8QyVI
Is this open to all cars? Would really like to get the turbo focus out for something like this.
Yes, this event was $375 for non members, and $350 for MCO members. that was for the 2 day course, the 3 day course is in the $400's.

Saturday and Sunday event, you have an instructor for the 2 days at your side the whole time. probably 4-5 hours of total track time in those 2 days. You have classes in the classrooms to attend also, reviewing flags, track rules, line approach, etc. There is 3 divisions, Novice, Beginners, Advanced/Racers. You can join your instructor in his group and I would recommend it so you can see what a fast driver can do.

They just held another school at the Mont Tremblant track, wish I could have gone but had to help my pops lift his garage and poor a new foundation.
While I've never gone to this event, I can honestly say that I wish every licensed driver was mandated to take an event like this just once.

You learn so much about car control and vehicle dynamics that it will literally scare you to go back on to the public roads and see the asshattery that happens out there on a regular basis.

As I've learned, the point of these events is not to drive to the point where you scare yourself silly, but rather to work at your skills and the speed will come naturally.

Headed out to the Redline Rendevous event at Mosport in a couple of weeks myself, car is getting prepped / teched tomorrow.

NefCanuck
yeah, its about being smooth around the track, once you get your lines nailed down, and that smoothness is there, you can start adding throttle to everything. My instructor said from the 1st lap to my last one on Sunday i was picking up 20-30km/hr in the corners. As the day went by I could tell I was getting faster and more confident. This track has lots of blind corners so you really have to wrap your mind around that and trust your judgement, it plays tricks on you....
Only corner at Mosport that I'm not confident on is Moss Corner (5a & 5b) I don't know if it's me not wanting to harm the car or the car just doesn't like getting whipsawed around like that but I can only nail the driving line at speed maybe 60% of the time, but oh when I nail it and then add throttle the car roars like a lion about to have a meal Big Grin

NefCanuck
(08-17-2011, 11:59 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Only corner at Mosport that I'm not confident on is Moss Corner (5a & 5b) I don't know if it's me not wanting to harm the car or the car just doesn't like getting whipsawed around like that but I can only nail the driving line at speed maybe 60% of the time, but oh when I nail it and then add throttle the car roars like a lion about to have a meal Big Grin

NefCanuck

Could be the instructor too ... I know from all my BMW events and the SVTOA ones that guys who drive RWD all the time just can't wrap their head around the different line that a FWD car takes - especially 5a and b ... and I assume it's the same for AWD as well.

What I tell my instructors now is basically ... I'm going to do my own thing at Moss and please reserve judgement until you see my exit speed going into 6 ... now it's one of my favourite and most successful corners and the instructors just shake their head.

Flo - I recogized the starter in your video so it seems the Patroon boys were up again from NY ... I'm sorry I missed this years event, but the new track rat isn't supercharged yet and NA just isn't fun any more.

Calabogie is one of my all-time favourite tracks even though my brain has trouble memorizing all those turns ... last time there I ran intermediate and was given solo status after the first two runs - and yup, it's all about smoothness and consistency and energy management ... IIRC an extra 5kph out of a corner is equivalent to an extra 100 hp on the straight - so there's no way to overestimate the importance of carrying momentum in and out of a corner.

Glad you had a good time - perhaps we'll see each other next year.
LOL Ken, you've been going to far more events than I, I would hardly have to the nerve to say to the instructor "watch first please" Tongue

Yeah I think the AWD system in the Fusion means the car doesn't quite do what they expect it to in Moss Corner (I almost misspelled that as "coroner" Fruedian Slip mayhaps? Big Grin)

One thing I always have to train my stomach to do is not get knotted up as the elevations change and the speed rises, usually by the end of the sessions I'm pretty wasted though, esp. that first day (maybe my new exercise regimen will help with that issue this year)

I don't suppose you're coming to Mosport Ken? I'd love to see you cracking off the laps (your skill level is something for me to build towards, even if the Fusion is a lot heavier of a dance partner than the Focus is Smile)

NefCanuck
Looks so fun. Did you have to wear balaklava?
Would love to try this track but it's like 462km from my place Undecided
yes, I had to wear it since I was renting their helmets, my helmet didn't meet the org's min safety requirements.

trust me, I'd rather not wear it, especially since the weather was hitting 45 degree's with humidity that that weekend.
This kind of track day is relevant to my interest. Sounds like something to hit up next year after I re-go over the car again with a fine tooth comb.