FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Why is it so hard to sell a car...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(08-20-2011, 03:12 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2011, 10:58 PM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]I hate those words so much...
"It's just a Focus" *shudder*

It's true, though, the common perception I mean.

I was truly looking forward to the RS being available here; had a longstanding arrangement at my dealer that were they to become available (when at the time I didn't realize I had access to the dealer bulletins) that he'd reserve me one as soon as the order banks opened.

Many times we had the discussion of "Why would you pay Mustang money for "just a Focus". And this is the people selling them ...

To answer that comment I can think of a few good reasons why you would choose a Focus RS over a Mustang:

1) Better Fuel Economy
2) Easier to get into and out of for rear seat passengers

are the two big ones I could think of and if they were to produce an RS here that was AWD that would be the tipping point for a lot of people (myself included if the RS had an autobox option)

Not saying that the Mustang is a bad car, hell, I'd buy one right now if I could afford to run two cars at once. but the Focus is a much tidier package...

NefCanuck
to make matters worse the only interest I'm now getting is, hey whats the lowest offer you'll take.... I understand these people are looking for a deal, but if you see the current standing asking price, guess what bud, thats it. You can make an offer, we can work from there. What nobody gets, it that I don't HAVE TO sell the car, I'm not in a pinch, and need to move it..
(08-21-2011, 10:19 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]To answer that comment I can think of a few good reasons why you would choose a Focus RS over a Mustang:

1) Better Fuel Economy
Believe it or not, the Mustang only gets marginally worse fuel economy than my Focus ST. I average 8.6L/100km with the ST (27.3MPG) and 10.2L on the Mustang (23MPG), and consider the engine isn't broken in yet (7000km).That difference shrinks to about 2MPG on a highway trip. I'm nearly idling at 2000 RPM holding 120kmh on the highway. I can't see the RS getting worlds better with AWD and the RS will definitely be sipping premium, for 250hp -- the Mustang takes regular (395hp) or premium (412hp).

Quote:2) Easier to get into and out of for rear seat passengers
The RS is a 2-door. I would say it's a wash at best and advantage Mustang (bigger doors) at worst.
Quote:are the two big ones I could think of and if they were to produce an RS here that was AWD that would be the tipping point for a lot of people (myself included if the RS had an autobox option)
AWD it the only feature that would be the feature that would bring the decision closer.
Quote:Not saying that the Mustang is a bad car, hell, I'd buy one right now if I could afford to run two cars at once. but the Focus is a much tidier package...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the Focus. I was really interested in the (real) ST or RS until it didn't materialize; I waited 6 years. You can't buy or drive cars that are perpetually "coming".

(08-21-2011, 01:29 PM)laidman Wrote: [ -> ]What nobody gets, it that I don't HAVE TO sell the car, I'm not in a pinch, and need to move it..
I understand about "not giving things away" and getting PO'd at lowballers, but you should also consider that the longer you wait, the "older" the car is (to buyers). Windsor is a tough market right now. GLWS.
surprisingly I got a few low offers I'm mulling over. They seem to be legit too... just gotta get them to be serious and come out and look at the car. Time will tell I guess. Thanks to everyone on their input on the matter. I'm not a car seller by any means, personally I hate the whole thing.
People just seem to think that they can get a good used cheap car for under $5,000. Which you honestly cant you might get lucky once but its iffy. I love small performance cars and if i had to money i would buy it. but im only 21 an jobs are few an far between.
(08-21-2011, 10:19 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2011, 03:12 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2011, 10:58 PM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]I hate those words so much...
"It's just a Focus" *shudder*

It's true, though, the common perception I mean.

I was truly looking forward to the RS being available here; had a longstanding arrangement at my dealer that were they to become available (when at the time I didn't realize I had access to the dealer bulletins) that he'd reserve me one as soon as the order banks opened.

Many times we had the discussion of "Why would you pay Mustang money for "just a Focus". And this is the people selling them ...

To answer that comment I can think of a few good reasons why you would choose a Focus RS over a Mustang:

1) Better Fuel Economy
2) Easier to get into and out of for rear seat passengers

are the two big ones I could think of and if they were to produce an RS here that was AWD that would be the tipping point for a lot of people (myself included if the RS had an autobox option)

Not saying that the Mustang is a bad car, hell, I'd buy one right now if I could afford to run two cars at once. but the Focus is a much tidier package...

NefCanuck

Plus your not making up for something buying a focus.
i have had the same exact problem when trying to sell my svt

2 years ago i payed $10000 at the time it was a never winter driven 110K and in 100% pristine condition.

now it has 170k still in vary good shape and i cant get $6000 ?

now i understand it is a svt with higher mileage but its still gota be worth $6000. i mean im posting it for 6 but i will go down with in reason.

either way i would consider my svt to be one of the cleanest ones around and i cant get anything but a few crazy low ball offers.

what i have decided to do is keep her for sale for 6 is it doesn’t sell ill just keep driving it

it just means ill have to go euro bumpers with a bigger drop with bigger wheel spacers
Editing my original post here.. because while people's perception may normally keep the price down, the stated resale for an '03 focus being sold by owner is pretty decent.

If you're not in a hurry, take your time... someone will eventually buy it for a decent price. But you may have to go a bit further than kijiji to grab the attention of focus lovers out there.
Pages: 1 2