FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: COMPUTER / HOME AUDIO HELP NEEDED,.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey fellas.

The wifey and I just moved into a new house and one of the plans I had for when we moved was to somehow get music into every room from my computer.

I have an iMac and have spent literally years building an extensive music library, and would now like to pipe in music into the back yard, and living / dining room.

How can I do this if do NOT want to hard wire speakers? I'd like to avoid hacking up my walls for this. (as much as possible.) Is this even possible?

I'm sure one of you guys have done this somewhere.

Thanks for the help gents.
(08-23-2011, 06:04 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]Hey fellas.

The wifey and I just moved into a new house and one of the plans I had for when we moved was to somehow get music into every room from my computer.

I have an iMac and have spent literally years building an extensive music library, and would now like to pipe in music into the back yard, and living / dining room.

How can I do this if do NOT want to hard wire speakers? I'd like to avoid hacking up my walls for this. (as much as possible.) Is this even possible?

I'm sure one of you guys have done this somewhere.

Thanks for the help gents.

I had my house wired during construction for RG-6 coax, cat 5e, speakers in every room and even my surround speakers in the family room ... and even then I've done some modifications to the wiring myself.

Unless your basement is finished (ie: finished ceiling) hardwiring a house is not difficult, nor does it require any hacking. It does however require some tools.

The only alternative is wireless speakers but I've heard not-so-good stories about unacceptable range, interference, and poor sound quality - so I've never tried them.
one word, Sonos

It does everything wirelessly, and even comes with apps for controlling it from your i-everything or other smart phone or tablet.

The components support everything from a simple wireless unit to pump music to your amp of choice all the way up to displaying and playing media in all-in one components.

And expanding the system is as simple as buying another sonos component...

I've set this up in a couple of houses, and the folks have been rather happy with them and the ease of use.

Check it out here These Sonos units are a geek's dream.

let me know if there's anything I can do to help out. This stuff is too much fun to play with...
Thanks Steve.

These for sure look like the way to go! I just want to hear them first.

However, from the website, I can't seem to figure one thing out.
Do I HAVE to plug in my ipod into the bridge?
Or can I just control my playlists from my phone via my computer?

I guess my question is, will the bridge speak to my computer via the router? Or does it absolutely require an iPod?

I've done everything i can to keep my phone free of music as it slows it down.

I'm gonna head over to Bay Bloor radio to check em' out at lunch time.

ditto on Sonos.
They sound really great.
They sound pretty decent in person, but if you want really good quality sound I'd just get the adapters you plug into your home stereo...

The bridge can speak directly to your computer via the router. You don't need to have anything on your phone unless you want the app that'll let you control everything remotely. So you typically only need one Bridge.

If you want, we can get together and discuss your current setup and what you're looking for....

Enjoy your expedition to BBR...
Airport Express Base Station into good amp/speaker combo (or an Airplay ready amp).
If you looking for an audio only setup, check these guys out.
http://www.planetofsoundonline.com
They got a small little shop. I like the small systems they have, you might find something that suits your needs.
This just got more expensive.
I was going to purchase a Play:3 and a bridge so I can play music in my living room,kitchen,dining room. At a later date, i would buy another Play:3 for the garage / deck.

Then if I require tunes outside, I can just move the speaker, no?

Oh, if your not in a huge rush, September 9-10 is the Toronto Audio Video Entertainment Show @ Le Meridien King Edward Hotel.
Manufacturers/reps/resellers will be there. It's mostly an audio show, with some home theatre.
You might find some inspiration, I'm going Saturday.
(08-24-2011, 12:16 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]This just got more expensive.
I was going to purchase a Play:3 and a bridge so I can play music in my living room,kitchen,dining room. At a later date, i would buy another Play:3 for the garage / deck.

Then if I require tunes outside, I can just move the speaker, no?

Yes, if you wanted to, you can move the speaker anywhere. Rather handy that way.
gonna go hear how they sound.

My house id open concept, so i'm guessing the Play 5: will be sufficient.
got the play:5 kit. I now need to find a bridge.... bay bloor was out Sad
alright, got the system hooked up.
Took all of 10 min.
Accesses my complete library of music on my computer and is fully controllable through my iphone.

I can sit in my backyard and tune music. Search my library, access on-line radio, podcasts etc...

A flawless system from what I can see.

I highly recommend this system for people who don't want to bash holes their walls.

[Image: sonos_s5.jpg]