FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Most boring car in the world to be Daytona 500 Pace Car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
from this autoblog article

Quote:2012 Toyota Camry chosen as Daytona 500 pace car

[Image: web2012camrypacecar001.jpg]

That's right. When the 2012 Daytona 500 kicks off the Sprint Cup season come February, it'll be the new 2012 Toyota Camry setting the pace.

Something about this makes me lose all respect for Nascar.
No offence Anthony, but, respect for NASCAR? Toyota Camry is the perfect pace car, just like the race, the pace car is boring.
ANOTHER step towards the end of the worst racing series on earth.

*yawn*

And here I was thinking Nascar had already folded up shop.
(08-24-2011, 10:33 PM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]ANOTHER step towards the end of the worst racing series on earth.

*yawn*

And here I was thinking Nascar had already folded up shop.

We can always hope......
Well, this was a long time in coming (I mean Toyota has been in NASCAR Sprint Cup series racing now how long?)

But the "Good 'Ole Boys" are probably having fits Wink

NefCanuck
Agreed. The race and the car/company, both very boring.

Must say though, in person it could be cool to watch... but the fun would probably wear quick lol.
That is a really sad excuse for a pace car. I understand that Toyota is one of the race cars that competes but this is just sad. Would be a lot better with a new Mustang.
(08-25-2011, 04:11 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed. The race and the car/company, both very boring.

Must say though, in person it could be cool to watch... but the fun would probably wear quick lol.

Went to a race last year for the first time.

Your right.

Unless there is a crash, the first lap is just like the 50th.

Stay thirsty my friend.
I found it ironic when Toyota had all their "sudden unintended acceleration" problems, seeing that the few Toyotas I've been in had a hard time accelerating when you intended it to.
(08-24-2011, 10:33 PM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]And here I was thinking Nascar had already folded up shop.
when the stands are full every single race (and daytona holds a good 150,000+ people) i don't see it going out of business anytime soon, i do however think NASCAR should be like it was way back in the day using actualy production cars (then the car makers can really brag), not a sheet metal body covered in stickers to represent a car with an engine built out of a box.
Thing is its for safety reasons, there's no way a production car shell can be made safe enough to withstand an impact of nearly 200MPH (Imagine a stock Ford Fusion body shell doing the barrel roll against the fence at Talledega that Carl Edwards did years ago... yeah I thought so Tongue)

NefCanuck
they obviously would put a roll-cage in it, come on now dan lol.
As a "avid" watcher. It continues to go downhill.... and again everytime the say they have plans to bring up ratings and new things to the table they go and do this. This is the biggest and most watched race of the year (for reasons unknown to me, cause really the race means nothing... its the first race) and the pace car is a vehicle my grandmother drives! Come on Nascar.....
quick question, has NASCAR introduced fuel injection yet?
No but they are testing it, I'm not sure of the point, any more power and these cars are going to be little more than semi guided missiles on rubber tires IMO.

I think frankly they need to knock the power levels down, for safety reasons if nothing else Undecided

NefCanuck
(08-26-2011, 11:40 AM)Spinal Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2011, 10:33 PM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]And here I was thinking Nascar had already folded up shop.
when the stands are full every single race (and daytona holds a good 150,000+ people) i don't see it going out of business anytime soon
I really wish you were correct, but they are a hurtin' really dang bad.

Attendance and TV ratings have been going down since 2008, including Daytona. What race have you been to or seen on TV that was not half empty? (On TV they try not to show corners or backstretch)
I miss growing up in the early 70's watching ABC Wide World of Sports with the Dodge and Chevy kids across the street. If we were lucky they would show a 'stock car' race. The camera options were few with less bullshit on the TV screen. I could actually watch the whole race.
Now I fall asleep if I try to just sit there and watch on TV. Even at my bud's annual Daytona party we drink and be merry filling our time playing cards and shooting the s**t until the last 10 laps or if there is a major crash.
Am I too old, is NASCAR boring, or both?
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-...65273.html

And to add some irony to this thread..
^^^ THAT will be the final nail in the coffin.

NASCAR is a hurtin' unit.