FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Redline Rendevous - The Aftermath
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So this past Monday / Tuesday was the Redline Rendevous event at Mosport and yet again I went to try and see if I could at least not completely embarrass myself in my run group with my car (I can't run it flat out, I need to be able to drive it off the track later Big Grin)

The attrition rate on day one proved me right, two instructors whacked their cars on track and had to pull out (they brought extra instructors thankfully, because one of the instructors that punted their car was mine Confused

My replacement instructor had a 2008 Vette that he took me for a ride in... holy frack I think the way he blasted through the course that my spleen wanted to file for divorce from me after I got out of the car Blush

Oh and the other instructor that punted their car was featured on "Canada's Worst Drivers" as a judge :dodgy
:
Also lost several students cars to mechanical failures, a T-Bird broke something internal but limped it home, a second supercharged T-Bird had its supercharger seize, but more serious was a Subaru that broke a piston / connecting rod and had to be dragged off the track (the sad scene of the driver for two hours pulling off everything "race related" and swapping for stock, to try and get Subaru to warranty the engine was the lowlight of the day)

For the first day I seemed to be doing better than even my last runs last year, sure I was getting blown away in the straights (to the point where I think I may have damaged my arm from so many point bys Tongue) but by the end of the day I was keeping the passed cars in sight for a long while (but still not quite getting Moss Corner, turn 5b, my personal nemesis)

By day two I stumbled on to something that seemed to make the difference, I started talking out loud, speaking out what I needed to do and then doing it. Using this method I was really harassing cars that passed me in the straights now, because I was now keeping right up on them and I was nailing 5b consistently.

I'm sure the guy in the 2000 MY Camaro SS was going "WTF"? with me glued to his ass Tongue I wanted to smack that yellow Z3 in my run group though. The idiot wouldn't let me by and I was actually forced to back off otherwise I would have punted him (which my instructor *jokingly* encouraged)

Actually that's the instructors fault who was with them, they should have forced them to give up the line to me because I was faster than them.

But the real highlight of day two for me was the raffle draw, the event sponsor Dixie Ford decided to sell raffle tickets in addition to the one ticket each driver was given as part of their registration package. I bought $40 worth of tickets in two purchases of $20 each (I wasn't the craziest ticket buyer though, a gent from the SVTOA - Toronto club bought $80 worth)

The draws are held and not only do I score the top prize of a set of 4 tires with an ARV of $1,200 (They wouldn't fit the Fusion so I flipped them to a Mustang owner for $480) but then I also win a complete set of Mustang GT 05+ brakes from Raybestos (fronts/rears, pads & rotors) I'll be listing those in the for sale area.

What did the guy who invested $80 get? A barstool Big Grin

So somebody come on out next year and join me otherwise I might just scoop up the prizes again Big Grin

NefCanuck
Daniel , I am glad that at least you had fun , since I couldn't attend . I understand that the old man (don't know his name ) with the silver T-Bird broke down as well as the red S/C T-Bird ? What about Mitchell , he's an instructor and drives a black S/C SVTF , was he there ? What about Ken ? How'd he do with his track rat ? Any pics ?
Oh yeah Mitchell was there, he slipped into our run group and sure as night follows day he was on my rear end and passing me in short order (that S/C whine is nice) though he broke something as well, but was able to secure the part he needed from the nearest Ford dealer and got the car back together for a few last runs.

Ken didn't make it, which was a real shame, I would have liked to see him run, but since he's N/A at the moment I think even I would have been harassing him by the end of day two (which would have been damn funny come to think of it)

Yeah both T-Birds ended up suffering mechanical failures, the silver bird (Tony is the gent's name IIRC) had what they said was a wrist pin failure, the red T-Bird's supercharged apparently seized, no idea as to why.

NefCanuck

Seems to me that it was an event full of surprises and not very pleasant ones . Mitchell is a slick one , he always manages to fix his car on time . Last year he broke a hub . Do you have any pics though ?
A few, (I mostly was snapping stuff as cars were rolling in on Sunday night)

That new Mustang Boss 302 is nuts, it's like an Abrahms tank on the street (sounds good though)

NefCanuck
yeah mosport claims a lot of Subarus. Something about one of the turns being pretty long and draining the oil in the pan and boom!, bye bye rod and piston.
(09-08-2011, 03:17 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]yeah mosport claims a lot of Subarus. Something about one of the turns being pretty long and draining the oil in the pan and boom!, bye bye rod and piston.

I've seen more than a few disabled Subies at Mosport, and all but one were at the same place - corner 8/9 ... right at the end of the Mario Andretti straightaway which is more than a km long and features an increase in elevation of almost 170 feet ... doesn't sound like much but it's steep.
Ah, that does make a sick kind of sense that 8/9 would do motors in. I'm guessing the oil in the pan gets flung around pretty hardcore between the straight, sweeping right on the downslope and then the esses (I know my tires pitch a right royal fit there, stock rubber POS)

NefCanuck