FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Subsonic update: Stage 2 complete.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All that is literally left now is body / paint and then MAJOR HAPPENINGS!

So, last week I asked Randy at FSWerks to tune Subsonic. He took it on as a side project due to the number of mods (LOL) - I managed to exceed their "usual" window for what they normally allow for with tunes off the FSW site.

Right out of the gate, Randy has Subsonic coming out swinging. Holy s**t, I kid you not, it's like a brand new motor in there.

Before: tractable between idle and 2500 RPMs. After: same, with even more punch down low if that's possible.

Before: Mid-range was the "sweet spot", between 2700 and 4000 RPM. The only really "fun" place to drive the car. Needless to say, this limited "play time" with friends. After: no major peaks or valleys, just the start of a groundswell of torque. Pulls quite hard after 3000.

Before: the factory power peak at 5300 seemed to be a mythical beast, existing only on caranddriver.com and my dyno sheet. Pulling through 5000 wasn't that satisfying at all. Shifting before 6000 was an everyday occurence for me when driving "hard", which somewhat kept me moving due to '00 MY short gearing. After: What sorcery is this?!!?!? Pulls HARD through 6000 and up to and through 7000 in the first 3 gears. MAJOR, MAJOR improvement over stock / current conditions. The old tune was getting supremely rich by 6000 and the power drop-off was quite noticeable. Now, after 6000 you know you're still making gobs of power.

Fuel economy: I've been flogging it, but even when flogging it I'm doing as well with gas as I was before and not really flogging it much. On my second tankful now and if nothing else mileage is improving. Driving fairly manically on the way to the dyno day yielded about 8.1L/100KMs combined. Now, I'd wager I'm solidly into the 7s for the same trip while making far more power.

TL;DR: If you're running NA Foci and you're not tuning with Randy, you're pissing away time AND money. This motor just rolled over 329.000 KMs and it feels like it has 129,000 KMs - or less.

Oh, and I'm still loud. Big Grin
sounds like things are coming along nicely. Just wait till you get this thing boosted!!
Thanks Nate! That's the gameplan as of right now - going boost next spring. Already talked to Randy last week about it. Told him this tune was a "tide me over" move until then.
Damnit, if only I didn't have an autotragic... Sad Sounds fun, Adam!

Now to find a $500 ZX3...