FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Removal of ignition switch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone tell me if i can just change the barrel or is it easier to swap the whole column. I have an '03 ZX5 and will be getting the parts from a wreckers yard, thanks.
(10-17-2011, 11:41 PM)DUBL02 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me if i can just change the barrel or is it easier to swap the whole column. I have an '03 ZX5 and will be getting the parts from a wreckers yard, thanks.

Just the barrel for sure - 10 minutes max - simple hand tools - lots of write ups online ... make sure you consider the PATS issue when changing ignition locks, probably easiest to re-key the new ignition switch to accept your existing key, as the key that goes with your new ignition will not "unlock" the Passive Antitheft System built into the ECU.

BTW - not sure why you are changing ignition locks, but there are many problems with the Focus and anything you get from the wreckers might very well be suffering from the same problem - I would def recommend a new ignition vs. a used one.
(10-18-2011, 12:57 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2011, 11:41 PM)DUBL02 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me if i can just change the barrel or is it easier to swap the whole column. I have an '03 ZX5 and will be getting the parts from a wreckers yard, thanks.

Just the barrel for sure - 10 minutes max - simple hand tools - lots of write ups online ... make sure you consider the PATS issue when changing ignition locks, probably easiest to re-key the new ignition switch to accept your existing key, as the key that goes with your new ignition will not "unlock" the Passive Antitheft System built into the ECU.

BTW - not sure why you are changing ignition locks, but there are many problems with the Focus and anything you get from the wreckers might very well be suffering from the same problem - I would def recommend a new ignition vs. a used one.

IIRC cant you get the original barrel cleaned and the tumblers replaced so that it doesnt screw up again?
I guess if it is easy enough to get the cylinder out, then why not. I've had a quote for $300 to replace it, so i will give it a go. Thanks for the replies.