FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Flickering lights and funny RPM behavior..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some time now, I've noticed my lights flickered even with the slightest load. To such that, even if I just turned my flashers on, every time they flashed, my dash lights would all dim. Same with the window- just using the window is enough to dim the lights. So at first I thought it could be alternator. But I just got a new alternator 3 months ago. Then I thought maybe a weak battery. So bought a very good heavy duty Interstate battery yesterday. Confident it would fix the problem, I start her up, turn flashers on, and same problem!! Thought maybe the battery wasn't charged fully. So after about 2 hours of driving, the condition didn't get any better.

So now I'm stuck on what the problem could be...anybody know what this is about?

And on a side-note, yesterday I noticed my RPMs wouldn't drop when I put the gear into neutral and coasted to a stop. It hovers around 2000 until the point the car comes to complete halt, and then drops down. And when it does drop down, I noticed it occasionally drops well below normal idle, and then comes back to normal idle rpm.

So wondering could the electric problem and this be related by any chance? 'Cause I know bad batteries and alternators can really make the car act funky.

Thanks for your support guys!
I've got the exact same problem with my focus too. i mine will get super dim and stay that way while driving for about 2 or 3 minutes, then kick back to normal.

my silver focus also did the same thing with the rpms, it used to drop so low the battery light would come on and almost die then kick back up again, i managed to track it to a vacuum line that came loose. fixed that problem for me then.
paul when my alternator was crapping out it'd happen when I was maintaining speed on the highway but everything would go dead. being manual and in gear the car came right back but it literally shut down my car.

I recently had minor idle issues, I still think its funky but I'll have Randy raise the idle RPM to 800 as I think that'll be enough to stop it from that slight stumble I get. One of the vacuum lines that was found to be slightly loose was on my EGR I think... which was eventually taken out of the car (or blocked off or disabled or what not)
Stupica1, my car doesn't go dim for minutes. Just the instant when there's a load being applied to the electrical system, and then comes back to normal right away when the loads removed. And ive pretty much just left the rpm problem the way it is for a little now. But i want to get it fixed. Wouldnt wanna get stuck on a cold snowy day...

Luc, I better get my alternator checked then. Even though i got it replaced couple months ago, I could've very well have gotten a faulty one.
How would i check if the alternator is putting out the correct amps and voltage?
And i should check for vacuum leak. Ive read this method of spraying some air duster around the intake, and looking for a spike in the rpm. Otherwise how else would i go about finding a leak?
Are the spark plug wires original or due to be changed? I had similar problems and while looking under the hood one night I saw arcing across them, very faint but tied into the poor idle.
Just a thought to check before an alternator swap.

Also, noticed more stutter/stumble when the weather was damp.
Paul what about your capacitor?

as for how to check an alternator, with a multi meter but I don't know what voltages you'd be looking for (except that maybe you'll see something that isn't consistent when it should be??????) - someone else chime in on this, please.

where'd you get your alt from anyway

vacuum leaks can be found via a smoke test
I dont have a capacitor(assuming your talking about the cap for the amp?)
And ill get my alt checked tmrw at the mechanic. Need some induction testing device to check for current. Voltage can be checked at battery terminal and should be between 13.8-14.4v afaik. Checked this and mine is pretty consistent holding around 14.0v. Vacuum leak again i guess a mechanic would have some 'smoking device' to test for any leaks.
One thing i did notice today though, was that the rpm was dropping normaly when i put the car into neutral and coasted to a stop. It still hovers little over 1k until the car comes to a complete halt and then drops to idle rpm. Dont know if thats how its supposed to be, but my cars been like that, so i guess its back to 'its normal'.
ya my car hovers at 1k until I come to a complete stop too and my bad on the cap I thought I remembered you having one.

the smoke test is basically they pump smoke through the lines and look for where it's leaking out.

Good luck with it.
(11-25-2011, 12:21 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]ya my car hovers at 1k until I come to a complete stop too and my bad on the cap I thought I remembered you having one.

the smoke test is basically they pump smoke through the lines and look for where it's leaking out.

Good luck with it.
I did have a cap with my old ride, so thats probably from wher u remember seeing it lol.
Went out for a beer last night, and the car acted perfectly fine! Lol its been such a girl to me lately with all her mood swings. She still dims a little under electric load, but i think ill just live with it for now. Maybe she'll fix that herself:p