FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: FINALLY got er running right!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm fairly new here and been pretty quiet on the forums. I picked up flofocus' old turbo zx3 that had been through 2 owners since him and i've had nothing but problems with it. finding issues after issue and dollar after dollar bringing it up to safe road worthy condition. Thankfully i did come on this site looking for any info on this car, never buy a pre modded car haha. anyways i found the whole history and build of it which was very very helpful. I just wanted to give a BIG BIG shout out to Nate who has went above and beyond helping me with this thing and answering just about every question ive had. unlike the previous owner. So, again... THANKS MAN. I owe you multiple beers for your help.
So keep an eye out in ottawa/gatineau for this old turbo focus bootin' it around again. Big Grin
(11-26-2011, 01:13 AM)Keebz Wrote: [ -> ]So, I'm fairly new here and been pretty quiet on the forums. I picked up flofocus' old turbo zx3 that had been through 2 owners since him and i've had nothing but problems with it. finding issues after issue and dollar after dollar bringing it up to safe road worthy condition. Thankfully i did come on this site looking for any info on this car, never buy a pre modded car haha. anyways i found the whole history and build of it which was very very helpful. I just wanted to give a BIG BIG shout out to Nate who has went above and beyond helping me with this thing and answering just about every question ive had. unlike the previous owner. So, again... THANKS MAN. I owe you multiple beers for your help.
So keep an eye out in ottawa/gatineau for this old turbo focus bootin' it around again. Big Grin

Good stuff ... congrats and thanks for keeping us in the loop. Post up some pics if you have them.
(11-26-2011, 01:13 AM)Keebz Wrote: [ -> ]So, I'm fairly new here and been pretty quiet on the forums. I picked up flofocus' old turbo zx3 that had been through 2 owners since him and i've had nothing but problems with it. finding issues after issue and dollar after dollar bringing it up to safe road worthy condition. Thankfully i did come on this site looking for any info on this car, never buy a pre modded car haha. anyways i found the whole history and build of it which was very very helpful. I just wanted to give a BIG BIG shout out to Nate who has went above and beyond helping me with this thing and answering just about every question ive had. unlike the previous owner. So, again... THANKS MAN. I owe you multiple beers for your help.

Nice!
Awesome man! so what was the root cause on the final issue where you guys couldnt boost pass a certain RPM?

Did lentech finally tune it? Or did you end up going somewhere else?

Glad she is back on the road and running.
(11-29-2011, 12:47 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome man! so what was the root cause on the final issue where you guys couldnt boost pass a certain RPM?

Did lentech finally tune it? Or did you end up going somewhere else?

Glad she is back on the road and running.

Well.....these are the issues ive had with it since i picked it up... 2 injectors sticking open, spark plug wires hooked up wrong, bad maf, replaced with a new pro m which was bad on arrival lol. replaced with a stock maf at lentech which didnt work because of the intake piping size being too small. replaced with a ford lightning maf. car started running better and was tuneable but boost was hitting 16 psi everytime. found bad waste gate actuator. go on dyno and found no boost now. bolt came out of charge side of turbo. remove turbo and install heli coil. go back on dyno and power completely lost at 4200rpm boost and afr staying good. install new plugs wires and coil. picked up 7hp but still had the power loss issue. *scratch heads for a while* pull valve cover to check valve springs-all good. final step..... check actual physical timing of engine....timing way advanced around 2 teeth. the car still hasnt had its final tune. i just wanted to get it out of there and they wont be able to free up the dyno for a few days so its going back there within the next few weeks to have the final touches done to it. ill post up a dyno sheet once i get that done.
Dang. That's a lot of issues. What kind of a dyno is it? Mustang or Dynojet?
i believe lentechs is a mustang dyno. been told it reads low, its a heartbraker, but I've been told than about every single mustang dyno I've been on. lol
Add about 15% for mustang dynos... Just talked to Fernando at rps tonight about em... The rollers are a pain for small cars to turn!!
Keebz what area in Ottawa are you from?
(11-29-2011, 08:30 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Add about 15% for mustang dynos... Just talked to Fernando at rps tonight about em... The rollers are a pain for small cars to turn!!

its a lot more than just adding 15%, there's lots of factors that come into play when dyno testing.
(11-29-2011, 10:33 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Keebz what area in Ottawa are you from?

Live on the darkside (gatineau) and i work around hunt club and hawthorne. What about you? Seems like you may have 2 new foci friends bombing around ottawa now haha.
(11-30-2011, 12:40 AM)Keebz Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2011, 10:33 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Keebz what area in Ottawa are you from?

Live on the darkside (gatineau) and i work around hunt club and hawthorne. What about you? Seems like you may have 2 new foci friends bombing around ottawa now haha.

Haha apparently, that puts us at 5-6 in the area now.

Also, I'm near Carleton on the west side of the river.
Well done.

A nice save for an original FC beast.
Thanks for saving one of our few boosted sleds.