FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: clunking noise in front of focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if I can get some input. The focus has a slight clunk in what seems to be the passenger side front. I had a similar sound 3 years ago and it was the stabilizer links that needed replaced so I did the same this time and while the links were in rough shape, it did not cure the problem. I have checked everything with a pry bar, the ball joints and tie rods are tight. The only thing I could get to move was the rear bushing area in the control arm on the passenger side, the drivers side was tight. Is this something that is a problem area on the Focus? Could it cause a clunking noise similar to the stabilizer links going? Anywhere else I should check?
Nothing bent? Make a difference in the speed of vehicle or rpm of engine?
Nope, nothing is bent. Haven't hit anything. The noise just developed over the last few days. Its a lot more noticeable at slow speeds, if I am cruising at 50kph I cannot notice the noise. Also it does not matter if I am turning left or right, going forwards or backwards.
Which side? ...... Wheel bearing?

Probably?????
Passenger side. I changed the wheel bearing 3 months ago.
Maybe it is that rear bushing in the control arm?
Could be. I was hoping someone else might have had a similar problem and had a fix. Could a strut bearing cause a clunking noise?
I have(had?) a clunk that I sometimes hear when I am turning the steering wheel, specifically at times like when parallel parking. I haven't heard it recently but after having taken a look at it at the time with my mech it seemed most likely to be a strut bearing.

Ok, I will take a closer look at that portion of the vehicle. It doesn't take long to take the strut out so might be worth while to check it out. Thanks.
well we didn't even take the strut out, we simply turned the wheel and there was a slight 'click' noise that could be heard. figured that it wasn't louder due to there being no weight on it so the diagnosis isn't a very thorough one (that wasn't what the car was in for)
Hmmm, well when I do a dry turn, whether on the ground or jacked up there is no noise whatsoever. The only time the noise comes is when mobile. Maybe that rear bushing is the problem. I can always change it out and see. Thanks.