FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: dot3 or dot4 brake fluid?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what do the foci take?

the reservoir says USA dot3 and CANADA dot4

... which is it?
(11-28-2011, 09:30 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]what do the foci take?

the reservoir says USA dot3 and CANADA dot4

... which is it?

There's actually a product called "Ford DOT 4" - I get it at parts source, so it should be available at Cdn Tire. It comes in a yellow bottle but I forget the actual brand name.
I have used ATE super blue (dot4). have had no issues with it in any of the cars.
(11-28-2011, 12:31 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]I have used ATE super blue (dot4). have had no issues with it in any of the cars.

I have a bottle of Ford dot3 synthetic.

i think something close to superblue (the one step down from it) is what I have
you track the car, use DOT4.
(11-30-2011, 12:20 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]you track the car, use DOT4.

I use DOT4 specifically because I track the car - but frankly, even more important than the fluid spec, is regular flushing.

All brake fluids are hydroscopic (attract water molecules) and any fluid no matter how good will attract water over time ... and it is any water in the system that will cause some forms of brake fade and mushy pedal feel.
yeah, I flush the fluid once a year at the minimum.
[Image: motive-power-bleeder.jpg]
one of the better investments I've made for specialty tools....its pretty much effortless for bleeding brakes.
yeah, I gotta get me one of those, I use the mitivac and its not the best tool for it, I still end up doing by hand (2 people needed) at the end...
ok then yeah my car most likely has dot4 in it if that's what autocrossers would use.

thank you everyone
It was Dot3 ford synthetic in it.

I went and asked my mech.

Good thing I went with my gut and bought a bottle of it while I was there earlier last week!

as always, thanks all