FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: need a little 411 on tablets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, I'm lazy and I know there are some computer guys here that can offer up some advice.

Here's the question.....

If you had my money, what tablet would you buy? I am looking at the Ipad as my #1 contender, but it is a big deal that it doesn't play Flash? And WTF is Flash? And do I need it?

I am basically just looking for a device for the home and while vacationing that we can look at emails and surf the net.

Love to hear from ya.

Me.
(12-06-2011, 11:08 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I'm lazy and I know there are some computer guys here that can offer up some advice.

Here's the question.....

If you had my money, what tablet would you buy? I am looking at the Ipad as my #1 contender, but it is a big deal that it doesn't play Flash? And WTF is Flash? And do I need it?

I am basically just looking for a device for the home and while vacationing that we can look at emails and surf the net.

Love to hear from ya.

Me.

Okay, I'm no geek - but my sister has the i-pad and it is becoming a big deal that it has no Flash - a lot of functionality of most websites uses it ... so she finds that she is on her PC for most of her surfing.

FWIW I've had an excellent experience so far with my Samsung Galaxy S2 4G LTE phone (Android OS) and I've heard similarly good things about the Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

Given what's happening with RIM these days I was loathe to go with Blackberry ... the i-pad has no Flash ... so for me that left Android as the only real option for OS ... there's a good selection of tabs that use Android - my advice, again FWIW, is consider the OS you want first - then look at the hardware.
FWIW;

Adobe recently announced they're moving away from Flash and onto HTML5.
If flash is an issue, i'd get a Blackberry Playbook as they've dropped in price... but I prefer the ipad of all the tablets.
I'd buy the asus transformer prime.
I just bought the samsung galaxy 10.1 tab about 2 weeks ago. I had budgeted about $500 towards a tablet. So in that price range i was looking at the Ipad2 or the Galaxy 10.1- both WiFi versions. Adobe has announced that it would be moving away from flash. But it is not an overnight procedure really. So first off, Android had my vote there. The galaxy tab runs webpages with flash exactly how you would see it on a laptop. I'd say the tab has almost eliminated the need to open my laptop at home, for browsing, emailing and media. Sidenote: I have an iphone4. thought the syncing between an android phone and android tablet would be better, so bought myself the LG Optimus Prime....returned it in 2 days.. i just couldnt stand the android on the phone..way to complicated..and just the simplicity and functionality of the iPhone couldnt be matched. I know a lot of you would disagree, but thats just my opinion. And im not being biased, im just used to iphones, and its harddd to switch to an android phone now. So coming back to tabs, Flash firstly won my vote for the galaxy tab. It was slightly lighter than the ipad2. It has better cameras. The battery life seems to be better even though they are rated to be about the same. And the customizability of the android home page is neat. One thing that i definitely miss, are the apps. The andriod marketplace still has a lot of catching up to do with the apple app store. And the apple store support is unparalleled- walking in with a problem on your device. Walk out with a new device or on the spot repair.
So in all, first figure out what operating system you want, and then shop for a device. Right now..the best tab out there for its price is the Asus transformer Prime. Probably best specs a tab could have, and a very tempting price point.
As I am getting older and my eye sight is failing, the 7" screen for the blackberry is really not an option.

Plus, I believe they are ripe for a possible takeover and may be heading out of the market soon. Just a guess??

Keep the info coming.
I just got the playbook a few weeks ago and i will say that i liked the 10'' screen size of the ipad better however once i started playing around with the playbook i find that the size is perfect and you forget that you are even looking at a smaller screen. I have played with both the ipad and the playbook a lot and i will say that i like operating system on the playbook better then the Ipad (not sure about the ipad 2)... Also i was talking to our computer geek here at work and he told me that in February the playbook will support android apps, im not sure if you have to boot into the android OS from a start screen or how it works but it might be something to look up. Like the others said choose the OS you want and go from there... I have a blackberry already so it was really an easy choice for me, also the price helped the decision a lot too.
Cheers
My typical advice is, "What do all your friends use?" .. If they all have iPads, it'll be easier to deal with the iPad...if it's Android, go Samsung Galaxy 10.1...

Right now, the most popular is the iPad... but there's a slight catch. There's likely to be a new iPad with a much higher resolution display in the spring. It'll have a better screen, faster processor, 8mp camera, and likely more memory... this is the iPad you'll want. So I'd actually hold off a bit. And of course, the Flash issue will be short lived as everyone moves away from Flash (including the makers of flash).

If it's Samsung you're looking at, Android offers a lot of flexibility, and the samsung units are top of the range along with the new Acers. Lenovo has one coming out soon too that looks to be a powerhouse, but you may have to wait for that.

Then there's the playbook... oh the poor playbook. It's RIM's Palm Pre. A decent piece of hardware that belly-flopped onto pavement with poorly executed software (which have been and still could theoretically be fixed with updates). But the deep discounts and RIM's $450 million loss on it means you probably won't see much support for it. I've been saying this for the past year and a half, but RIM is the next Nortel. If they don't come up with some good hardware and switch to android, they'll be dead sooner rather than later. They may be able to sell their secure messaging, but with latest IOS and Android versions, you can get secure enterprise e-mail on those platforms.... so maybe they'll sell their patent portfolio? I dunno... there is nothing on the horizon that would give me any hope for RIM. I'd buy their playbook if that's the only tablet all your friends have, or you want to give a reasonable tablet as a gift...

Not sure that helps... it's a tight race between IOS and Android for adoption and availability of the coolest apps, so I'd go back to the 1st question...
samsung galaxy tab (supports flash and is fast as f**k).

flash will always be around, its a major part of most websites nowadays, HTML5 wont take over the website world for many many years (due to every web designer has to learn a whole new language which takes time), then when HTML5 does kick in fully, there still the past 10-15 years of websites that still have flash that will most probably remain being flash, so therefore...if the tablet doesn't support flash, dont waste your money, it'll be a pissoff in the end.

plus apple sucks balls.
My father loves his ipad2, whenever he's relaxing at home, he's got it in his hands... watching netflix, surfing the web or doing face time with his family in Montreal. I dont know much about them, but playing with my fathers ipad2 is pretty addictive...fun little machine.
try opening a website like streetfire.net on the ipad...and then on the android tab...will help u decide..
The markets have pretty much already decided that Flash is dead. It doesn't meet many government accessibility standards, it's no longer supported by Adobe, and the popularity of non-flash supporting i-devices and ease of HTML5 will kill it.

It's not like IE6 where companies relied on a broken browser for their apps to work... Flash is disposable, and sites that don't move over soon will fade into the background... and many existing frameworks can be easily ported over to HTML5 IMO.

And as for streetfire, meh... it's so easy to transition to HTML5 from a flash video player, that it's not even funny... it literally takes 10 minutes to do...maybe they're just lazy...
Yup. darkpuppet is right. Flash is more combustive to work with, and everything is changing to HTML5. There will be 'translator/converter' programs to do most of the switching over, for existing websites using flash. and with HTML5 it is like a cloud plugin on the website itself. There is no actual plugin needed to be downloaded and integrated with the system.
Another reason for you to consider for going for an Android- you dont have to sync all your files and media to one computer only. You can add in files from any computer, just like a regular memory card. I put all my PDF text books on it, and open them with the e-book reader. Ipad could do it maybe, but it's not as straight forward.
My bro just bought a playbook over the weekend. That thing is very impressive. I wouldnt pay more than $199 for it, but at that price, that thing is untouchable. However, bottom line is, it's a 7'...so just feels like a smartphone with a couple inches larger screen. So for prolonged use and media, it didn't do it for me.

^-- there you go meford -- ask the wife if she would prefer you had a couple more inches before making your decision.

epic setup folks...
lol
(12-08-2011, 12:42 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]^-- there you go meford -- ask the wife if she would prefer you had a couple more inches before making your decision.

epic setup folks...

Size doesn't matter girls say.....as long as they're just browsing....
When they wanna play games....its all about size...

So depends what your wife wants to do with your tab lol

(12-08-2011, 01:40 AM)arpaul15 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2011, 12:42 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]^-- there you go meford -- ask the wife if she would prefer you had a couple more inches before making your decision.

epic setup folks...

Size doesn't matter girls say.....as long as they're just browsing....
When they wanna play games....its all about size...

So depends what your wife wants to do with your tab lol

Size does matter along with how long you can play with it before it dies Smile

Omg lol i love how you referred everything to sexual jokes lol
samsung.
*and I'm an apple guy.
Pages: 1 2