FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Safety
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just had my car in for a safety and everything is good... heres what hes failed me on.... rear tail lights tinted.... says buy new ones .....any one in the ottawa area have a set laying around to fit a 00 zx3 i can use for like an hour? haha. also front marker light on the bumper...had a clear lens... fell off somewhere.... wont safetty it without the lens or tail lights changed.
Kenny U-Pull.

If not you can borrow my tail lights but I want yours in the mean time.

edit: I also don't have the lens I thought about keeping em from my old bumper but I pitched it and evreything attached to it.
fawk - that's too bad, I threw out the non clear markers for that car last month....

worst comes to worst, you should be able to pick up these parts at sonshine autoparts, or kenny u-pull for dirt cheap.

How is she running now?
Mystake- I will check kennys, hopefully i can get everything there.

Flo- You have any other parts for this car? haha.

I cant believe he's holding it on that. I have a truck and coach mechanic licence and i would never hold a truck for that petty stuff.
She's alright now. Need this safety to get it plated and back out to lentech to have the final tune done... I think they just got sick of me hounding them and gave me my car back and said come back later and they'll finish the tune. It's running rich still and likes to stall when i let off throttle. Sad
No other parts, I threw out the rest last month. Sorry man.

I wouldn't bring it back to them. Shouldn't take this long to tune a focus if they knew what they were doing.

Get it done by Randy, and feel good that it was done by a focus pro.
(12-09-2011, 04:04 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]No other parts, I threw out the rest last month. Sorry man.

I wouldn't bring it back to them. Shouldn't take this long to tune a focus if they knew what they were doing.

Get it done by Randy, and feel good that it was done by a focus pro.

well the main thing that took so long was how many issues we had with it. timing being off was the main thing. Lentech is doing it for free so im gonna do that and if im not happy with it ill have it done by randy later on down the road. im done sinking money into this thing for a while.
I'm going to check out kennys u pull today, any body know what tail lights are compatable with a 2000 zx3?

Also any of you ottawa guys needing anything from there? i can most likely pick up and bring with me to the g2g if needed.
I'm sure any zx3 or zx5 lights will work, as far as I know the tail ends on the focus hatches stayed the same.
(12-09-2011, 11:12 PM)Keebz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to check out kennys u pull today, any body know what tail lights are compatable with a 2000 zx3?

Also any of you ottawa guys needing anything from there? i can most likely pick up and bring with me to the g2g if needed.

nah thanks I'm good I live real close to it Tongue
On occasion I go up to Ottawa from Trenton. My favorite place charges $15 for a drivers door. (Complete... window, power motor, glass, interior door panel.) How the prices at this Kenny's U Pull?
According to their price list, a complete door with hinges is 38$ + tax
Is this the safety when buying/selling a car? Or it is something like emissions, thats government regulated and needs to be done periodically? If its just the regular safety thing, there are many little auto repair shops that would do the safety, and those guys would pretty much just write the safety certificate as long as your car has 4 good tires, brakes, and no burned out bulbs. Well that is if you know a mechanic, otherwise they might not do it cuz if anything happens they can get blamed by the owner of the vehicle.
^^

the way it works/worked was that a safety cert is (used to be?) valid for 30 days... so you go in on say december 31st, they'll write down december 2nd as the day the car was certified... then you have 1 day (or 2, or 3) or w/e depending on how well you know the mech to get it registered.

like that, if a week later the wheel falls off the mech can say "5 weeks ago it was on fine" not "it was just fine 3 days ago" when it clearly wasn't.

...edit: I've most commonly seen the price be 150 and go as low as 100 if you really know the person. still retarded that he'd fail you on the tail lights though - sounds like you went to a shitty garage or a corporate chain. Any mechanic worth his salt wouldn't bother with that - especially because its not the tint itself that makes them illegal its the lack of visibility CAUSED by the tint. IE: LED bulbs would probably have been fine.
Just what mystake said. Find a mechanic to do it for you. You should have a mechanic that takes care of your car. like a family doctor. so he'll know the history of the problem and plus with mechanics they can take you for a rideee if you dont know them, or know about the problem. And when u have a mech you stick too, theyre reallyyy come handy on a rainy day....
(12-12-2011, 01:43 PM)arpaul15 Wrote: [ -> ]Just what mystake said. Find a mechanic to do it for you. You should have a mechanic that takes care of your car. like a family doctor. so he'll know the history of the problem and plus with mechanics they can take you for a rideee if you dont know them, or know about the problem. And when u have a mech you stick too, theyre reallyyy come handy on a rainy day....

Well this is about the only time my car will be in the shop, unless it comes down to a tuning problem. Myself I'm a licenced truck and bus mechanic so i have the tools and warm shop where i can do my own work and solve my own problems. Problem is i dont have the right licence to sign a safety for a car.... yet i can safety a bus that drives down the street carrying 100 people. Ive only been in this area for going on two years now so i dont really have a good relationship with any car shops around either for times like this.
id tell you to bring it to CarCanada, my guy works there lol. If you have a way to bring it there, then call me i can arrange something
(12-12-2011, 10:57 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]still retarded that he'd fail you on the tail lights though - sounds like you went to a shitty garage or a corporate chain. Any mechanic worth his salt wouldn't bother with that

yeah, I have a very much different opinion on that.

His taillights are dark, covered in nightshade, something that even the manufacturer says "for off road use only". Its dangerous, and its exactly the type of thing I'd expect a GOOD mechanic to point out and fail a safety. I know my mechanic, who I pretty much trust with my life...lol...would fail a safety for too much nite s**t on their tail lights.

i think the complete opposite - i think he went to a good mechanic.

(12-12-2011, 10:30 PM)Keebz Wrote: [ -> ]Ive only been in this area for going on two years now so i dont really have a good relationship with any car shops around either for times like this.

If you need any help with finding a good shop here in Ottawa, PM me, or you can take a look at this sticky'd thread:

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthr...p?tid=4665

and to be honest, the guys I go to and who I posted their info in that thread would have probably failed you for those tail lights also.
TBH I would've gone to Canadian Tire Carling for a safety and they'd probably fail too for it, don't quote me on it though.

I agree, TOO MUCH nightsh*t and it's a fail... but if it's just a tint and the light still goes through then it's NBD. But like I said, I agree that too much is fail