FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Exhaust bolts ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm replacing the exhaust on my '02 wagon, what size are the bolts that hold the flex pipe in place? Do I need to get anything special?
Anything but stainless. You'll never get them off if you need to.
^^ hmm never knew that..guess I should try and get my stainless off that I put on a while back Tongue
Is he saying that they used anything but stainless bolts to hold the flex in place, and that he'll never get them out?

Cause I thought SS was pretty safe from corroding too too badly
It may be the heat. Thinkint about it I used SS bolts on my old car and didn't have too much of an issue a few years later for the exhaust manifold...dunno...meh damned if you damned if you don't non stainless will corrode so bad you need to cut them off...if stainless sieze there..well at least they look nice Smile
I've used 400-500 lbs of stainless steel fasteners to put bolt two sections of 6' wide stainless steel pipe together. Must use anti-seize or you could be !@$%ed.
Yeah I was talking about them not coming apart without anitseize. I had an issue after 1 month. Switched to regular hardware without an issue.
Wow! I was just going to get SS bolts. I guess I'll just get regular nuts and bolts.
With stainless, I've seen a nut get seized just being chased halfway down the treads. Nothing there to stop it, just did. Using anti-seize is a must. Although I've heard about some issues with heat, I can all depend where on the exhaust they're being used. Bolts near a turbo are going to be way hotter then at the back of the vehicle.