FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: please help me identify this part!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi everyone,

we have a 2006 ZX4 sedan that's been making some squeeking noises since the fall. we disregarded it due to a busy time in our family since we only hear the squeeking when we go over bumps on the road. i had no idea what was causing the sound, so i went under the car and started spraying different areas with silicone lubricant to hopefully get rid of it. after several weeks of testing, i've found where the squeeking is coming from!

i took some pictures under the car today...can someone help me identify the part circled in red, and let me know if it is replaceable?

pictures are taken from the passenger side, basically under the rear wheel.

[Image: img305x.jpg]

[Image: img306b.jpg]

to temporarily eliminate the annoying squeek, i've been spraying this area with silicone lubricant..i'm assuming this part is worn?

[Image: img307x.jpg]

[Image: img311x.jpg]

any idea if the part i'm spraying is replaceable on its own? it has 2 bolts holding the piece at the top, and it looks like a huge job if i have to replace the entire metal piece

thanks for everyone's help
I believe that is called a Trailing Arm. It's a main part to the rear subframe and will be a PITA. From what I know you can take the whole rear end off by removing a few bolts then you will be able to replace it.

I'm not very confident in the info I gave you but as long as you have a warm place to do it or wait until spring to deal with it.
most likely the bushings require replacement.
trailing arm is the part, bushings look to be screwed. I suggest taking that to a shop and get the new bushings pressed in. You will more then likely need an alignment after that has been R&R'd
thanks for all the replies!

so the bushing (rubber part?) inside the trailing arm is worn, and replacement is possible which is good cause i didn't want to replace the entire metal piece

GFXjamie, you mention the bushings have to be pressed in..does that mean i cannot replace them myself? are there better/aftermarket bushings i can put in that are greaseable so i don't run into the same issue down the road?

thanks!
you can get bushings from energy suspension or prothane as well AFAIK. For the trailing arm it may have to be pressed in, but you would have to check to verify with manufacturer. most bushings need to be pressed tho or you can use a vise with proper technique.
thanks! i'll look into the energy/prothane bushings
on a tight budget, so i hope this wont cost alot of money!
(01-25-2012, 02:28 AM)srg Wrote: [ -> ]thanks! i'll look into the energy/prothane bushings
on a tight budget, so i hope this wont cost alot of money!

FYI - this is what the bushing looks like

[Image: MS40403_FRO.JPG]
Did you find it to be the culprit because the squeak stopped when you sprayed it with lube or was it just a process of elimination? I have an annoying squeak as well and want it gone. How did you get it repaired?

Thanks,
Scott