FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Weird smell.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I switched to a volant intake an love it , the only problem is there is a smell like somebody blew out a candle. My guess is the crank case breather hose , it never smelled before. Am I right? Everything else is perfect , I just did a trans flush , an coolant they were all great.
AFAIK the air that goes into the cabin comes from the cowl between the hood and the windshield.

if you're smelling a burnt smell, I'd start being worried... but that's me and I have no idea what's causing that smell.
u sure its not oil smell? older motors tend to have allot more blowby. Open the hood, rev the motor a few times when its warmed up and if you can see smoke coming out of the volant when you rev and then close the throttle...

if so you've got some bad blowby and then you have your source of bad smell...

Its not the oil , there is no leaks anywhere. Also there is no smoke coming out of my intake. hmmm its wierd , im going to be puting a fswerks race cat back on in a couple weeks so i will be able to take a closer look at everything. Oh another question , does the zetec need to run the two mufflers like on the stealth?
Also check around the EGR tube that theres nothing touching it...maybe some plastic melting????

The FSWERKS race is going to be loud, especially if you have a race header already....buy some earplugs Smile
you should hear it with just the volant between 5000-6500 rpm , i always have to tighting the trim up because it gets so loud.
Maybe you ate something different for dinner last night....so not used to the new exhaust fumes...
but..last time when i was getting my hids and battery replaced, i accidently moved a few things around in the engine bay...and it came in contact with the engine block and it started heating up, and smelling..kinda like smouldering plastic..
i have a volant intake, usually if i smell anything i'd say clean the filter (due every 10,000kms if your lazy) also check to see if its damaged, and see if you have a an interior cabin filter, a lot of foci have missing ones.
^^^^theres to many yellow foci in this thread i dont approve^^^^Tongue
(01-27-2012, 07:10 AM)buzz2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]^^^^theres to many yellow foci in this thread i dont approve^^^^Tongue

So buy one since your jealous :p
you know what it issss......black n yellow, black n yellow, black n yellow...
Lmao , ever since I picked up my foci , i realized that there is about 10 in my town which are yellow like mine lol. An to make it worse they are zx5s to lol.
(01-27-2012, 07:17 AM)Frost__2001 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2012, 07:10 AM)buzz2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]^^^^theres to many yellow foci in this thread i dont approve^^^^Tongue

So buy one since your jealous :p

i got one...lol
oFour in one post. Not to bad.
any screaming yellows??

02ztsian

Did you re-set the ECU? Funny as it may seem but even for a CAI swap you should re-set the ECU. That sulphur smell is indicative of your A/F mix being off. The Focus ECU is adaptive but only to a point.
Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 minutes, reconnect and the smell should go away.
I was going to do that when I put it on. But I asked a mechanic an he said it wont make a difference , but I will do it tomorrow.
This Thread is 2 bright! lol.