FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Is there a problem with Castrol Syntec?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its been a very F'd up coincidence. When I put castrol syntec in my wifes 04 escape a few years ago I started having a bad oil leak at the rear of the engine. I couldn't find the source, but it was running down the side of the block. I didn't blame castro then but I did switch away from it.

Now years later I give it a try in the 02 SVT, first it was the dipstick tube leaking like MADD! Now the gaskets and fittings for my oil relocation are leaking...

I was talking to a friend at work who also tried out castrol and the same thing happened, developed an oil leak within 3k.

what gives, is this just a fluke? Either way its bad luck for castrol as those oils will never enter my garage again!... I can't blame them but can't not not blame them....

hmm..i only use castrol syntec and never had any oil leak issue.
Never used it in the turbo focus (i think).
are you going from dino oil to synthetic or something? I heard that's not good after certain mileage.
SYNTH TO SYNTH just brand change, same weight etc.
I would have been able to find out for you a couple years ago. But I don't work there anymore. I stopped using it once I left. I run Royal Purple now.
I never had a prob with it for the few years I ran it. The only thing I had an issue with was I could hear my lifters more with Castrol Syntec. Then I became an Amsoil Dealer and couldn't love it anymore then I already do.

I think it's just purely bad luck
damn i just changed my oil to Castrol Syntec:S I hope i dont face any trouble! However, my clutch master cyl just gave up today....andddd....theres leaking oil...lol bottom line, some bad karma with castrol i guess, causes some oil leak somewhere...
Never heard of that, Kev. I ran Syntec in the 07 hatch for over a year, never had an issue. Come to think of it, I might be running it in the Escape right now... no issues. In fact, I'm almost certain of it. 106K on the engine, ran synth (Motorcraft till 70K and then Syntec) since 30K.
I found my issue the other night, the gasket around the oil relocation adapter I guess shrunk. I had to do some quick magic to make it work. Thankfully there was clearance to tighten the adapter.

*so* leak solved. I don't think I can really blame castrol, but none the less its been brining with it bad mojo everytime I use it.
time to move to motul.
Cant go wrong with mobile 1.