FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Air Horns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so,

I do lots of driving for work and a lot of is downtown.

I've seen every bad driving mistake possible here in Ottawa, it's amazing and scary at the same time. Honestly I'm a little surprised I haven't had an accident yet, defensive driving FTW. The drivers here are nothing like the ones from Toronto, it goes from being cut off by people going 20 under to people slowing down to go through green lights, to people holding up traffic for no apparent reason in the left lane. Hell, to merge on the 417 people do 75-80 in the right lane so you can't even get up to speed! To some people it's like other drivers don't exist (and it doesn't help that Ottawa's road network looks like it was designed by a 5 year old in Art class).

So anyway, half the time my stock air horn doesn't work (I'm assuming water/ice has gotten in it) so I'm looking to do something different. I've tried flashing my high beams but that doesn't do dick all either.

Quite bluntly... I want something louder that attracts attention and let's others know that there is in fact a car around them and that they're not alone on the road. Kind of like a little reminder to be a bit more courteous and considerate on the road.

I'm willing to go as far as the even installing a small air compressor in the car to power the horn but IDK where to mount it as the trunk is where the subs go (might be able to put it where a stock sub would go? mount it a bit higher so it doesn't get bumped by the sub box?)

Before someone suggest train air horn or truck air horn, the problem I have with either is 1. I'm not a train and 2. I'm not a truck. If I toot either horn I want the driver to know it came from me, not think it's from a truck.

Suggestions? Please don't say "go to canadian tire parts section", I'm looking for a real solution not a 30$ cheapo gizmo (unless they're actually good and work well, then I'm game)

Thanks
i know you don't want truck horns but i have 2 semi air horns mounted under my svt(at the back) and a small air compressor in the hatch that runs on a inverter.

they are loud like crazy loud!!!!!!!

i have had them installed on and off for around 2 years now.

i picked up the horns for free off an old semi and all the valves and air line was cheap. the only real expensive things are the air compressor and inverter witch both commonly come on sale at c/t.

i have around 150- 200 in my set up. and its well worth it.

i have seen some electric horns but non compare to the real semi air horns Big Grin

i use them for more evil than good Big Grin but you wana see the pedestrians jump at bus stops and other crowded areas the best part is no one even looks at the little red focusAngel
i should've taken video of my elec horn. compact size, very loud and has sounds like truck or train.
i am thinking to install 2 pairs and make 1 pair triggers when i flip switch.
(03-05-2012, 05:42 AM)Jmountney1 Wrote: [ -> ]i know you don't want truck horns but i have 2 semi air horns mounted under my svt(at the back) and a small air compressor in the hatch that runs on a inverter.

they are loud like crazy loud!!!!!!!

i have had them installed on and off for around 2 years now.

i picked up the horns for free off an old semi and all the valves and air line was cheap. the only real expensive things are the air compressor and inverter witch both commonly come on sale at c/t.

i have around 150- 200 in my set up. and its well worth it.

i have seen some electric horns but non compare to the real semi air horns Big Grin

i use them for more evil than good Big Grin but you wana see the pedestrians jump at bus stops and other crowded areas the best part is no one even looks at the little red focusAngel

Where at the back are they mounted?
What kind of compressor and what kind of power inverter (how is it wired in?) are we talking about?
I have power to the trunk of the car already via 0 gauge... can that be worked with?

-No Clue where to start

The exact set up really is up to you.

I have a 2 gallon air compressor and a 800w power inverter.

but you just have to check that the inverter you get will run your compressor.

my horns are mounted directly under the car where the spare tire is. and my inverter and compressor sit in my hatch

depending on what kind of inverter you get your gona want to wire it so its not always "on" ( a relay powered off a "key on power supply" will work or a manual switch) i did the manual switch just so i don't always have to have the inverter on.

you may be able to find a 12v air compressor this would eliminate the need of a inverter. but what i found is most 12v air compressors do not have air tanks. most 12v air compressors also don't have a high enough CFM to run large truck horns.

my compressor is plugged into the inverter and is just always "on" so if the inverter is "on" the compressor will come on and off as needed.

next decision you have to make is to have a manual valve to run your air horns or a electric air valve (if you get and electric air valve you can operate your horns with your stock horn or a switch)

i could make you a diagram if you would like showing everything.

There is probably a million ways to do this but that's how i did it.

there is electric horns out there but i personally haven't seen any that can compare to my air powered ones

also the one benefit you'll never be stuck with a low tire again lol
I have a set of hella horns that I will be mounting behind my front euro grille

Right now the focus has a horn out of a GMC truck.... Same style horn as the focus just louder and all I had to do was swap the connection off my old broken focus horn
Just get hella supertones. 2 x 119 decibels of WTF!

Or this

Destroyer Horn
lol, I think the complete opposite as you, I hate driving in Toronto, some of the worst driving behaviors I've ever seen in my life is driving through T.O on the 401.

Only thing I really hate about Ottawa is the left hand lane drivers going 90km/hr. Move the fawk outta my way.

The guys going 70-80 in the right lane don't bother me, I just floor it and pass them from the merging lane. Got pulled over for that once, told the cop I did nothing wrong, I actually merged properly, I used the extra horse power to get up to the speed limit, and he should be pulling over the ones going too slow.

go with the Hella Supertone Horns. Mike at No limits carries them and I doubt you'll find anyone carrying these for cheaper.
If I didnt need my hatch space, that would be the answer. Awesome!
(03-05-2012, 09:58 AM)Jmountney1 Wrote: [ -> ]The exact set up really is up to you.

I have a 2 gallon air compressor and a 800w power inverter.

but you just have to check that the inverter you get will run your compressor.

my horns are mounted directly under the car where the spare tire is. and my inverter and compressor sit in my hatch

depending on what kind of inverter you get your gona want to wire it so its not always "on" ( a relay powered off a "key on power supply" will work or a manual switch) i did the manual switch just so i don't always have to have the inverter on.

you may be able to find a 12v air compressor this would eliminate the need of a inverter. but what i found is most 12v air compressors do not have air tanks. most 12v air compressors also don't have a high enough CFM to run large truck horns.

my compressor is plugged into the inverter and is just always "on" so if the inverter is "on" the compressor will come on and off as needed.

next decision you have to make is to have a manual valve to run your air horns or a electric air valve (if you get and electric air valve you can operate your horns with your stock horn or a switch)

i could make you a diagram if you would like showing everything.

There is probably a million ways to do this but that's how i did it.

there is electric horns out there but i personally haven't seen any that can compare to my air powered ones

also the one benefit you'll never be stuck with a low tire again lol

This will be what I do, I like this set up the best. I youtubed those hellas and sorry but they sound awful. How much air would the compressor need to move to keep the horn going/so the tank doesn't run out after a few second blast? How did you get the air hoses through from the inside of the car to the outside? Just drilled a hole straight through the car?

Funny though Nate how with you it's the opposite... I guess it's cause I knew how to maneuver around them whereas here in Ottawa I don't.

I swear though, the 417 is going to make me age prematurely.
That's what I don't get, the 417 is a dream when compared to the GTA area and the 401.
(03-08-2012, 12:39 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I don't get, the 417 is a dream when compared to the GTA area and the 401.

Hahaha god you're weird Tongue

I zig zag on the 417 more than I ever had to on the 401 just to maintain speed and even then, at 115km/h I feel like a nascar driver. And yeah, the 401 doesn't have left lane warriors like the 417 does which is probably the root of my frustrations. At least, not ones that do 90-105km/h in the left lane and refuse to move over when you come up on their ass
yeah, left lane warriors are bad in ottawa but at least the drivers are somewhat good at actually driving. I just pass those warriors on the right.