FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Made in Canada, eh?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
... country of origin: Canada

Ford Racing M-FR200-STR ... just $98,995

02ztsian

Car is developed by Multimatic Motorsports in Ontario.
Very cool, local involvement in the production of the st-r. That's something to be proud of!
here i thought capaldi did most of the ST-R
(03-11-2012, 01:45 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Very cool, local involvement in the production of the st-r. That's something to be proud of!

More than involvement - the car was engineered here and will be assembled here.
thats pretty sweet, but not for 100G's.
(03-11-2012, 03:25 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]here i thought capaldi did most of the ST-R

Leo and Multimatic work very closely together with development of cars and parts.
What really sold me on the car are the options on the bottom

Ford Racing lightweight wiring harnesses (that is a must have)
And
Custom carbon fiber center panel with switches (must look sexy)

Honestly I can't stop laughing at this car. The price is not through the roof but landing on Mars too...

I think they did this car in under $50 maybe $60 thousand. And Ford slapped it up to make up for the fact it won't sell much.

This is one reason I like to struggle to build something rather than to send sooo much to buy something.

Looks really nice though…
We are a Ford Racing distributor, I'll put in a price request tomorrow. LOL
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's a race car straight out of the box. Buy it Monday, go racing Monday.....
(03-14-2012, 12:07 AM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'm wrong, but it's a race car straight out of the box. Buy it Monday, go racing Monday.....

That's exactly what it is - except for communications and some safety equipment.

The one thing that stood out for me is the fact that the chassis is seam welded. I have no idea what that costs to do, but the torsional rigidity they quote is off the charts. That's worth a lot on the track.

It's also hard to calculate the per vehicle cost of a year's worth of r&d engineering.

Also: that price includes $5,000 dealer margin - I mean, yeah - still a lot of money - but it's hard to say whether or not it represents good value.
It's meant to never see a street in its lifetime. It's just like the Mustang drag car offerings - a standardized build to allow organized racers a level playing field for a sport compact-based race series.

Having said that, it's still expensive - especially considering the "usual" market. Also, purpose-built race cars can get deep into 6 digits and we're not talking the major types here either. In reality, just short of 100Gs for a true race Focus is reasonable.
I dare you to build a circuit car that will compete with that focus for under 100,000
(03-15-2012, 02:09 AM)ZX3_2NV Wrote: [ -> ]I dare you to build a circuit car that will compete with that focus for under 100,000

I don't know Dru, I think that's way too much for so little. I still think you could build a better car for less.

I mean take a good look at the Euro guys across the pond. They have been doing it way before us and they have some pretty nice built cars that put some serious numbers down around a track without breaking the bank.
(03-15-2012, 02:27 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2012, 02:09 AM)ZX3_2NV Wrote: [ -> ]I dare you to build a circuit car that will compete with that focus for under 100,000

I don't know Dru, I think that's way too much for so little. I still think you could build a better car for less.

I mean take a good look at the Euro guys across the pond. They have been doing it way before us and they have some pretty nice built cars that put some serious numbers down around a track without breaking the bank.

Being around touring car racing. My brother purchased a few cars his mirko racing svt contour cost 200k us his mumm brothers racing cougar 200k us Kyle chura's svt focus cost over 200k the engine was 30k pounds from mountune and lastly the chasis work his world challenge tsx cost over 250k and we havn't touched the engine yet. At 100k great price for a brand new race car. If you want a bang for your buck you can purchas a old mustang challenge car but mind you it has been abused.
Across the pond you say check out this.

S2000 Series Fiesta

Take a look around there site. Race cars arn't cheap and these are used and abused.

AND prices are in Pounds lol

That is awful expensive lol

Now yes I said across the pond but I didn't mean into debt lol
Ya these cars do what they are supposed to do but they are normal cars turned into track cars. So why not get something that was designed to be a track car to begin with for less... I'm I right?

Look at this ep of Top Gear. Great episode and they slow but hell spent nothing for the cars and still had a dam good time lol
Top Gear Season 18 EP 7

Also this is the kind of car I was talking about. And they even run Duratecs in them. The factory new cars are a little expensive but if you search out some of the forums they guys are supercharging and turbocharging the Duratec Motor and flying around the track for cheap.
http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/showroom.html
(03-20-2012, 11:59 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]That is awful expensive lol

Ya these cars do what they are supposed to do but they are normal cars turned into track cars. So why not get something that was designed to be a track car to begin with for less... I'm I right?

Look at this ep of Top Gear. Great episode and they slow but hell spent nothing for the cars and still had a dam good time lol
Top Gear Season 18 EP 7

Also this is the kind of car I was talking about. And they even run Duratecs in them. The factory new cars are a little expensive but if you search out some of the forums they guys are supercharging and turbocharging the Duratec Motor and flying around the track for cheap.

caterhams are nice but no where near a purpose built touring car

(03-21-2012, 10:06 AM)lsjpwr Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2012, 11:59 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]That is awful expensive lol

Top Gear Season 18 EP 7

caterhams are nice but no where near a purpose built touring car

Just a question...

How... is a Focus or a Contour, a Purpose Built Touring Car...?

Just a question, I don't need an answer.
I plan on buying a Caterham in a few years. http://www.super7cars.ca is the Canadian distributor for them, out of B.C. It's literally my dream car - half the weight of a Focus ZX3, with more power, race-built chassis and suspension, etc. Also, it's probably one of the few "factory" cars on the road that's louder than my Focus. Tongue
Pages: 1 2