FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: jrsc black box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in need of a power card/ blackbox for a svt focus JRSC kit. Would trade for a j and s unit or cash.
IIRC the way it worked with JRSC (at least with the Zetec Big Blower kits) you actually had to send in your car's ECU to Ford Racing for reprogramming - there was no additional unit or card.

When I bought my used JRSC BBK I had no option to send the ECU in - I simply used my XCal 2 and hit it tuned that way - first by Steeda and then by FocusSport.

(03-18-2012, 06:25 AM)trinifoci Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in need of a power card/ blackbox for a svt focus JRSC kit. Would trade for a j and s unit or cash.

ZTWsq, I know for the bbk on the svt, the car's ecu had to be mailed for reprogramming. I do not have the bbk kit, so I'm in need of the base tune that the black box covered.
How much did either cost for tuning anways ?
(03-18-2012, 09:46 PM)trinifoci Wrote: [ -> ]ZTWsq, I know for the bbk on the svt, the car's ecu had to be mailed for reprogramming. I do not have the bbk kit, so I'm in need of the base tune that the black box covered.

AFAIK the base JRSC kit (no BBK) ran on the stock ECU program - again, that's my understanding for the Zetec kit.

Do you have the instructions for the JRSC? If it doesn't mention anything about sending the ECU to Ford for reprogramming then I think you have to assume that is the case with yours too.

Before I put on the supercharger I had already purchased tunes for my red track rat; so with an XCal 2 already locked to my VIN Pat at Steeda charged me $25 to go into SCT's catalog of tunes and download one he thought would provide me the best base-tune for the soon-to-be supercharged engine, and indeed the car ran good.

Once we started dyno tuning it was evident that the tune he had chosen was a very safe one which was also quite down on power.
I'll send you the instructions for the svt kit that Moss sent me. I need your email address

(03-19-2012, 01:24 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-18-2012, 09:46 PM)trinifoci Wrote: [ -> ]ZTWsq, I know for the bbk on the svt, the car's ecu had to be mailed for reprogramming. I do not have the bbk kit, so I'm in need of the base tune that the black box covered.

AFAIK the base JRSC kit (no BBK) ran on the stock ECU program - again, that's my understanding for the Zetec kit.

Do you have the instructions for the JRSC? If it doesn't mention anything about sending the ECU to Ford for reprogramming then I think you have to assume that is the case with yours too.

Before I put on the supercharger I had already purchased tunes for my red track rat; so with an XCal 2 already locked to my VIN Pat at Steeda charged me $25 to go into SCT's catalog of tunes and download one he thought would provide me the best base-tune for the soon-to-be supercharged engine, and indeed the car ran good.

Once we started dyno tuning it was evident that the tune he had chosen was a very safe one which was also quite down on power.

The base JRSC kit came with a little black box which ran with the base ECU tune. What it did was to fake the tune into dumping extra fuel to compensate for the extra air being sucked in by the supercharger.

On my base version of the JRSC I never got the car running right with the black box so I had it disabled and had it dyno tuned with a chip. This was back before the portable tuning devices like the XCal were introduced for the Focus.

I still have the black box but it is for the regular zetec not the SVT version of the kit.
DBlast, I know all about what the power card does for the focus, I just need to get one until a bbk kit is located.

I had no idea the powercard came with the regular zetec's before.makes me wonder if its the same, Moss indicated that the power card number is 052-183. Can you please check if that's what you have? (That should make finding one easier)

(03-19-2012, 12:42 PM)dBlast Wrote: [ -> ]The base JRSC kit came with a little black box which ran with the base ECU tune. What it did was to fake the tune into dumping extra fuel to compensate for the extra air being sucked in by the supercharger.

On my base version of the JRSC I never got the car running right with the black box so I had it disabled and had it dyno tuned with a chip. This was back before the portable tuning devices like the XCal were introduced for the Focus.

I still have the black box but it is for the regular zetec not the SVT version of the kit.

ZTWsq, I also posted instructions for the JRSC svt kit in the last post.
Thanks for your help so far!
Yeah - did not know about the "power card" - def makes sense though.

In terms of the brackets you mentioned you're missing, the only potential source I know of is Moss Motors and you already spoke to them. I also know that they are out of belts and gaskets -so at this point I really don't know how much support they have for these kits.

I'm pulling all my stuff together to get ready to install the new engine including the supercharger - so if you want I can take some pics and measurements of the brackets and worst-case scenario you can have them fabricated ... IIRC they are simply bent sheet metal; pretty sure they're not cast or anything. That of course assumes the Zetec brackets are the same as SVT - it makes sense that they would be, but I don't know for sure.

In terms of tuning, personally I wouldn't bother trying to get a powercard - just jump straight ahead to an XCal 2 or 3 ... get someone like Pat at Steeda to give you a base tune - and then if you want go the extra mile with dyno tuning or distance tuning with Randy.

I'm sure SCT has tunes already written for add-ons like supercharger ... and FWIW - even a base SCT tune for a stock SVT gives you the option of adding fuel right off the shelf.

I may be mistaken, but I think Kevin (Hardkore) at one time supercharged an SVT - maybe he can add some insight.
The part number on the black box that I have is 051-741. I know that there were a few differences between the regular zetec and the SVT version of the base kit. There was a braket difference, the SC pulley was a different size, and the black box must have been different to accomodate the SVT ecu.
I'd really appreciate you measuring the lower sc support, that looks pretty easy to rig up something.

I called Pat today, so looks like I'll be going that route. I'm getting an xcal 3 with a tune to support the jrsc from him.

(03-19-2012, 10:15 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah - did not know about the "power card" - def makes sense though.

In terms of the brackets you mentioned you're missing, the only potential source I know of is Moss Motors and you already spoke to them. I also know that they are out of belts and gaskets -so at this point I really don't know how much support they have for these kits.

I'm pulling all my stuff together to get ready to install the new engine including the supercharger - so if you want I can take some pics and measurements of the brackets and worst-case scenario you can have them fabricated ... IIRC they are simply bent sheet metal; pretty sure they're not cast or anything. That of course assumes the Zetec brackets are the same as SVT - it makes sense that they would be, but I don't know for sure.

In terms of tuning, personally I wouldn't bother trying to get a powercard - just jump straight ahead to an XCal 2 or 3 ... get someone like Pat at Steeda to give you a base tune - and then if you want go the extra mile with dyno tuning or distance tuning with Randy.

I'm sure SCT has tunes already written for add-ons like supercharger ... and FWIW - even a base SCT tune for a stock SVT gives you the option of adding fuel right off the shelf.

I may be mistaken, but I think Kevin (Hardkore) at one time supercharged an SVT - maybe he can add some insight.

Dblast, Thanks for your input.

(03-19-2012, 11:17 PM)dBlast Wrote: [ -> ]The part number on the black box that I have is 051-741. I know that there were a few differences between the regular zetec and the SVT version of the base kit. There was a braket difference, the SC pulley was a different size, and the black box must have been different to accomodate the SVT ecu.

Hey Darren - the lower bracket appears to be two pieces. When I disassembled the s/c from my red car, the two pieces stayed together. I don't really want to take them apart, so here's three pics that gives you an idea of what they're like.

I will also trace them on paper for later if you need. I'm very close to installing the new engine and s/c into the silver car, so if you need to take a look at them in person we should do that soon.

[Image: JRSCBracket1labelled.jpg]

[Image: JRSCBracket2labelled.jpg]

[Image: JRSCBracket3labelled.jpg]
Thank you!
(03-24-2012, 01:25 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Darren - the lower bracket appears to be two pieces. When I disassembled the s/c from my red car, the two pieces stayed together. I don't really want to take them apart, so here's three pics that gives you an idea of what they're like.

I will also trace them on paper for later if you need. I'm very close to installing the new engine and s/c into the silver car, so if you need to take a look at them in person we should do that soon.

[Image: JRSCBracket1labelled.jpg]

[Image: JRSCBracket2labelled.jpg]

[Image: JRSCBracket3labelled.jpg]

(03-18-2012, 06:25 AM)trinifoci Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in need of a power card/ blackbox for a svt focus JRSC kit. Would trade for a j and s unit or cash.

Are you still looking for a Black Box? I have one for sale.
You got pm

(05-15-2012, 02:07 AM)RDZ SVT Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you still looking for a Black Box? I have one for sale.

i have an entire JRSC for zetec kit for sale, includes the new style alt bracket and everything but the stock air box!