FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Exhaust Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Didn't find anything on google... didn't spend THAT long looking either...

this sunday is looking to be car-day for me, ive got no other plans. therefore, I'm going to install the mbrp I've had laying around since last year.

IIRC, because it's a sedan system it'll stick out the rear a few too many inches but besides that, what should I know before I jack the car up and start ripping out the exhaust?

I've heard changing the exhaust is the most basic bolt on one can do... so there's no reason for me to pay someone else to do it. I'm more worried about running into rusted/seized bolts and having half the exhaust off and not being able to get the rest off... and being stuck with half an exhaust system on the car.

Also, do I simply saw-z-all the exhaust off, then remove the hangars/bolts holding it up? I don't plan on keeping the exhaust, it's been hacked already (the... "muffler/resonator" was cut out by mistake... then welded back in, but it's got a leak, and then the lunchbox was cut out and a straight pipe put instead) so its by no means worth anything or worth keeping, so I had no need to worry about damaging it upon removal.

Also, i'll be doing this in a parking lot. Safety precautions? I don't own any jackstands... and to a certain extent don't really trust them. I've seen a few drop before and quite frankly they make me nervous as hell. That and my parking spot isn't exactly level. Not a huge angle but enough that if I didn't leave the car in gear it'd roll out of my spot.

I'd rather jack the car up, lie my steelies down underneath the wheels and let the car sit on them, or jack the car up and put some 6x6's underneath the wheels and let it sit on that instead. I've got a big nose and I don't want the car to drop on my face and break it (Tongue) Whenever I work underneath my car, if i'm letting it sit on the jack I put rims underneath so if it DOES drop, it drops on the rims not me.

... so if you couldn't tell I'm over thinking this... ugh... worst case scenario cause I need to know I've got a back up plan... how bad is it to drive without a cat back on?
i did my focus svt 5 door so same as zx5 body and the only problem i had was that i had to cut the factory exhaust at the back to get it off so i would look at that and other then that the new exhaust went on very easy and it fit like your finger fits your asshole lol
Just take it to a shop, i was in and out in in under 1/2 hour. And it was $30.
(04-07-2012, 05:55 AM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Just take it to a shop, i was in and out in in under 1/2 hour. And it was $30.

Yeah I can go to a shop and get it done for 50$.

Or I can do it myself and go out for a really nice dinner.
(04-07-2012, 06:00 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-07-2012, 05:55 AM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Just take it to a shop, i was in and out in in under 1/2 hour. And it was $30.

Yeah I can go to a shop and get it done for 50$.

Or I can do it myself and go out for a really nice dinner.

IIRC the MBRP is designed to be a bolt on system - make sure you have all the gaskets and all the hangars before you cut off the old system - a power sawz-all will be your friend with that. And if the new system doesn't include the hangars make sure you know the condition of the existing ones before you start.

The MBRP has a really nice tip, so cutting a sedan system to a ZX5 length is somewhat more involved than simply cutting it shorter - and you will definitely not want to leave it long. It will look like ass and you and your passengers will be constantly hitting your legs on it.

Check out the condition of your exhaust tunnel heat shield too - this would be the time to do repairs on it as it is so much easier without an exhaust there.

Good luck.
only probblem i ran in to when putting the mbrp on my old zx3 was that some of the oem rubber hangers were junk.

id say it wouldnt hert to take a look under the car befor hand

yep sawsall, angle grinder (for old bolts), new bolts/gaskets, hangers if necessary. no reason to pay someone to do something this basic.
(04-07-2012, 09:34 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]yep sawsall, angle grinder (for old bolts), new bolts/gaskets, hangers if necessary. no reason to pay someone to do something this basic.
why not pay somebody to do it? If you pay cash most places will give you a break plus it will be done in way less then an hour.

its the satisfaction of doing it your self instead of paying someone to do your work for you. and going out for a good dinner sounds way better then paying someone to do a simple bolt on
(04-08-2012, 05:13 AM)PEGASIX Wrote: [ -> ]its the satisfaction of doing it your self instead of paying someone to do your work for you. and going out for a good dinner sounds way better then paying someone to do a simple bolt on

I used to think exactly this way - until I got older. Then at some point in my life I changed - I figured I can pay someone else to get dirty and hurt their back AND still go to dinner feeling good that an expert did it (not that I wasn't a good mechanic, but you know what I mean) - I guess it's a generational thing.

To PEGASIX's point - do it while you can 'cause at some point that'll change LOL.
i have no choice if i stop wanting to do it i better win the lotto as a diesel mechanic i cant give up on it.
(04-08-2012, 05:13 AM)PEGASIX Wrote: [ -> ]its the satisfaction of doing it your self instead of paying someone to do your work for you. and going out for a good dinner sounds way better then paying someone to do a simple bolt on

^This.

It's not really even about the 50$. I want to learn to do my own work to my own cars and build a little self confidence. I always second guess the work I do which is why I end up paying someone else. Ironically, half the time I pay someone else to do the job they don't do it right the first time and it has to be redone by someone else again.
Thanks to JM for coming over and lending a hand installing it!

Tomorrow if I wake up early enough I'm gunna head to the local canadian tire and see if they'll shorten the tip for me.
Your very welcome man, as jealous as i am haha, it was fun and i know exactly what to do when i get mine haha!!!

And it was my pleasure man, anything to help out
I feel like the middle of the exhaust hangs too low... IDK why :S

like, it doesn't sit as high up in the tunnel as the stock exhaust did :S
(04-11-2012, 03:18 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like the middle of the exhaust hangs too low... IDK why :S

like, it doesn't sit as high up in the tunnel as the stock exhaust did :S

It should - try loosening the middle pipe at both ends and rotating it so the offending part moves up into the tunnel.
Maybe if you get the exhaust fixed ( shortened so if fits under the car ) ill have a look at it and do exactly what ken said, haha, possibly tomorrow ill come have a look
It's getting shortened next friday, lol. That's when the appointment was booked @ Dan's Muffler in Greely. Lots of people recommended him so that's why I'm going to him. Canadian Tire Carling was going to be too much $$ (they were talking about customizing the hangar where the tip would mount etc. etc. but then they openly admitted that welding wasn't their thing so it really would've been a custom job for them).

But sure I've still got the jack stands we can peak at it whenever you wanna come over. Wanna come with me to kenny upull and get some new heat shields while we're at it?? Tongue (just kidding, but I am getting new heat shields)

edit: D'oh, there's a thanks Ken implied in my post. But yeah, Thanks Ken for the suggestion
You and your heatshields lol
It just doesnt seem like a good idea to not have any.

Can someone give their opinion here please?
Pages: 1 2