FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hesitating To Start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys so for the last little while my baby has been hesitating to start. Not only on cold or hot or even after just been driving around.

I'm not sure what it is...

Starter
Fuel Pump
Timing of engine

Those are a few that I thought of but I'm not sure of them. The timing will be dealt with in a few weeks as I put my new head on. I checked all the wires and they are clean and not corroded. I really don't want to get into the fuel pump unless I have too and I haven't heard any noise from it either.

Let me know what you think. The mileage it 196,XXX KM Duratec 2.0L
(04-24-2012, 10:14 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys so for the last little while my baby has been hesitating to start. Not only on cold or hot or even after just been driving around.

I'm not sure what it is...

Starter
Fuel Pump
Timing of engine

Those are a few that I thought of but I'm not sure of them. The timing will be dealt with in a few weeks as I put my new head on. I checked all the wires and they are clean and not corroded. I really don't want to get into the fuel pump unless I have too and I haven't heard any noise from it either.

Let me know what you think. The mileage it 196,XXX KM Duratec 2.0L

Plugs? Coils?

Just changed the plugs. Maybe your right about the coils though.

One has about 120,000 on it and the other are from stock.
Maybe I'll have to pick up those OBX ones.

Any other thoughts
(04-24-2012, 10:19 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]Just changed the plugs. Maybe your right about the coils though.

One has about 120,000 on it and the other are from stock.
Maybe I'll have to pick up those OBX ones.

Any other thoughts

Just changed the plugs eh ... is that when your hard starting began - which plugs did you put in?
No it started a while back probably around Dec lol.
(04-24-2012, 10:37 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]No it started a while back probably around Dec lol.

I dunno John - with the changes to your intake etc - who knows if it's fuel or spark - anyways the coils are not cheap, so hopefully that's not it. I'm not sure frankly how to even diagnose a coil problem on the duratec.
Frankly I've never come across a coil problem on the net other than me breaking one on my own lol.

Well she starts and runs fine. So after the head goes in and it still happens then I will buy those OBX and see if that cures it. From there I'll toss a new fuel pump in I guess...

Also I think while the head is off I'm just gonna throw on a new starter just to be safe. The dam thing is right there anyway right...
On Sat I had a hick-up. I was driving out to Mike's Autowreckers in Hamilton and doing about 140 steady, for the last almost 30min, the car just hick-up'd. The A/F went 17 chirpped then went back to 14.3.

I really hate to say it but do you think it's the Fuel Pump...
That sounds like what my 05 was doing, except it would have a single hickup on the highway, and it only did it twice in a 2.5 month period. I was considering the fuel pump as the culprit, but never got around to bothering with it as the issues were few and far between. If your car was sputtering for a half an hour, i'd get that diagnosed asap John.
Sorry I ment to say I was driving @140 for the past 30min and it only happened once.

But thank you for your input. I may tackle this while I have the engine apart.
(04-30-2012, 08:45 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds like what my 05 was doing, except it would have a single hickup on the highway, and it only did it twice in a 2.5 month period. I was considering the fuel pump as the culprit, but never got around to bothering with it as the issues were few and far between. If your car was sputtering for a half an hour, i'd get that diagnosed asap John.

I know you know this John but how's your fuel filter?
And this is why your the Focus Guro. I forgot all about the dam lil thing. It's got 74,000 on her. Way over due. Thanks for the thought.

(04-30-2012, 10:01 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2012, 08:45 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds like what my 05 was doing, except it would have a single hickup on the highway, and it only did it twice in a 2.5 month period. I was considering the fuel pump as the culprit, but never got around to bothering with it as the issues were few and far between. If your car was sputtering for a half an hour, i'd get that diagnosed asap John.

I know you know this John but how's your fuel filter?

That didn't even dawn on me, my fuel filter was changed prematurely lol (several times). Get on the ball John!
FOUND THE PROBLEM........

So as my friend and I leave the Hooters by the airport and me showing off by parking in the front of the place for everyone to see including the bored girls... I go to start my car and nothing Dodgy I check for codes and got nothing, then check for the sound of the fuel pump and thats working then just thought, s**t... The starter...

So crappy tires wants $260 somethingConfused and that ain't gonna happen.

So thats my problem. She starts when she wants to currently lol.
A hammer will fix that.
BFH works
LOL trust me I know lol
Park on hills for now.
Got the dam thing out and I'm going to have it rebuilt tomorrow with some heavier internals. I also just hooked up my DIN9 cable to the wideband too. While I was under the car I noticed the water line running in behind the intake mani has a small age crack starting on it. Little things here and there are adding up but I'm not getting rid of this thing anytime soon.