FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i have 2001 focus and have a turbo, what other parts do i need and where can i get turbo parts for a focus
(05-03-2012, 09:44 AM)mjb Wrote: [ -> ]i have 2001 focus and have a turbo, what other parts do i need and where can i get turbo parts for a focus

welcome first of all ... although there are others on here with a lot more knowledge about turboing a Focus, I think you might give us a bit more info ... such as your engine (Zetec, SPI or transplanted SVT) auto or manual, how many km, and the turbo you have and any other mods you have or are thinking about. Is this your daily driver - will you be doing the work yourself?

If all you have is the turbo itself the parts list will be long and the potential suppliers many ... and you will need to think about how much hp you want and the all important tuning aspect. One advantage of buying a kit is the engineering that's been done to ensure all the components work together and the tuning to match. But I assume you chose to not go down that route for a reason.

Bottom line: there's lots of experience and knowledge here - the more info you provide the easier it will be to help you move forward to where you want to go.

Yes info it needed greatly!!

Also do you plan to have only a stock block (if no internals are done yet) or do you plan on Forging the block?
(05-03-2012, 09:44 AM)mjb Wrote: [ -> ]i have 2001 focus and have a turbo, what other parts do i need and where can i get turbo parts for a focus

this is what you will need, regardless if its a SPI or zetec engine...

-A header for the turbo to attach too
-Turbo Wastegate if its not internal
-Blow off valve or recirculating valve
-Fuel Injectors
-Fuel pump
-Intercooler
-Intercooler piping
-couplers for all that piping
-clamps for the couplers
-Downpipe from turbo to exhaust
-May as well open up the exhaust, no point in turbo'ing a car on a stock exhaust
-Air intake
-Mass air flow or a diablo thingamabob
-Something to tune with, ecu chip, sct handheld tuner, diablo tuner, etc, etc
-oil lines for the turbo
-coolant lines for the turbo
-gaskets, lots of them.

...and I'm probably missing a few parts.

Things you will need after you turbo the car
-a new clutch
-a differential is not needed but will help with traction
-sticky tires, turbo fwd cars suck at putting down power
-possible a new motor, a few of us blew ours up after turbo'ing it.

LOOK AT MY THREAD YOULL FIND EVERYTHING THERE
You forgot a oil cooler

You can view my thread Piece By Piece
oil cooler isn't absolutely required.
(05-04-2012, 04:54 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]oil cooler isn't absolutely required.

Its not needed to run a turbo but it an upgrade worth looking into.
(05-04-2012, 04:57 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2012, 04:54 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]oil cooler isn't absolutely required.

Its not needed to run a turbo but it an upgrade worth looking into.

Not necessary but I tend to agree with you John - but mostly depending on what you plan on doing with your car - if it will ever see a track then personally I'd say put it on the "must have" list.

On the track my oil temps were 50 to 60 degrees higher than water temp - after I installed an oil cooler they dropped to basically the same - and my seat of the pants dyno said the motor ran stronger.
yeah, if tracking the car, the more cooling mods you do, the better for sure.
This guy totally trolled us lol.
(05-04-2012, 05:40 AM)02_svt_guy Wrote: [ -> ]This guy totally trolled us lol.

I was thinking the same thing lol
sorry have been working lots and havent got a chance to get on here. i have a garrit g35r turbo and i need to find parts used or new. whats the best place to find them. inner cooler, manifold, down pipe, exaust, watste gate, blow off valve and svt racing suspention kit. i am planning to drive this car daily and just looking for a little more power. eventually wanna tight circut track the car. thanks.
oh and my motor is zetec double over head cam 2.0 l
35r is definitely not a daily driver or circuit car turbo....

you may want to rethink your set up.
lots of suby guys use the 35r on daily setups. Just picked up my car at my friends shop and they were just finishing up tuning one. On their road dyno it put down something like 490 awhp, with more in it. Sounds like the perfect turbo to me....lol
Will you even have room for that??? Thats the problem I'm having with my T3T4 (T04E)
ill have to make room lol thinking about building a second moter from ground up to hold more boost
35r on a FWD car is pretty pointless. A 2871r or 3071 would be much more approriate
(05-17-2012, 10:35 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]35r on a FWD car is pretty pointless. A 2871r or 3071 would be much more approriate

i got the turbo from my buddy and hes got a fwd vw golf with the same g35 hes dino was 475 hp and just over 11 sec q mile
No offense but you said this was going to be a daily driver and you were looking for "a little more power" ... 475 hp is insane and actually impossible on stock internals - you'd need to spend thousands building that motor first.

I get that you already have the turbo and it's very attractive to find a way to use it; but you should listen to the advice you find on here - lots of experience boosting Zetec's on here and you can benefit from the mistakes already made without it costing you a penny.

No one's trying to discourage you from going balls out on your Focus - but we'd be remiss if we didn't point out the land mines in front of you.

(05-18-2012, 10:03 AM)mjb Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2012, 10:35 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]35r on a FWD car is pretty pointless. A 2871r or 3071 would be much more approriate

i got the turbo from my buddy and hes got a fwd vw golf with the same g35 hes dino was 475 hp and just over 11 sec q mile

Pages: 1 2