FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2012 focus: any known issues or TSB's?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My boss is going to look at this for his daughter:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Focus/OT.../?ursrc=hl

Since he knew about my focus obsession he wanted to ask for my opinion. Since selling my turbo zx3 a while ago, I haven't really been paying too much attention to them.

Is there anything that pops out with these cars as being problematic? Any heads up you guys wanna give me one this model?
(05-15-2012, 02:27 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]My boss is going to look at this for his daughter:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Focus/OT.../?ursrc=hl

Since he knew about my focus obsession he wanted to ask for my opinion. Since selling my turbo zx3 a while ago, I haven't really been paying too much attention to them.

Is there anything that pops out with these cars as being problematic? Any heads up you guys wanna give me one this model?

I wouldn't say problematic, I would say teething problems.......
1) DCT, make sure the TSB, updates are done.
2) MyFordTouch, it has also had an update, much better after the update
3) There is a TSB on the steering, some vehicles wander along the highway at 80-100 kms/h
4) recall on the windshield wiper motor, passenger side.
Overall, although it sounds like a lot, it's been worth it for me. I would buy another one tomorrow if I could.
If there is any way to get the VIN, I could check it to see what needs to be done.
One more thing........it's not a problem with the car, it's a problem with the driver, or the driver's Dad.....the driver and the Dad must be informed that the "automatic" transmission is not an automatic transmission, and it doesn't behave like one, it's a dual clutch transmission, it will rollback a bit like a manual transmission, but all SEL's have hill assist, to limit the rollback. When updated, the transmission runs very smooth and very well. My gas mileage has improved greatly since the first update, and I am waiting to hear if my car requires the second update, but from what I hear, it runs even better with the new update. If I were the Dad, I'd buy it. Can he adopt a 55 year old son and buy it for me?
Everything Oldeguy said, Nate. They're really awesome rides, and an upgrade from the first-gen chassis that the 2000-11 Focus resides on. Also, GapBoyPCS (Richard) has one along side his "SVT" sedan with over 500,000 KMs on it. If Richard got into a new one, it must be worth it.

Also of note since the 2012MY launch - Ford acquiesced to enthusiast demand and made the 5-speed manual an option on ALL trim lines. It used to be the best you could do for equipment was a SE hatch/sedan with the Sport package and some other upgrades. Now, you can go all the way to a loaded Titanium with a manual (previously, the Titanium and SEL trim lines were DCT-only).

I'm letting the rest of the world eat the depreciation on the 2012s. Also waiting to see what the uptake is like on the 2013 Focus ST while I work on Subsonic some more.

By the time next year rolls around, I might just get into a demo model 2012 with a stick if I can find one, or if subsequent drives with the DCT win me over into it. I like the concept of the extra gear ratio in there and the super-fast shifts that I don't have to manage (yet still reap the DCT's drivetrain efficiency bonus over a classic autotragic), but I need to drive a post-TSB DCT-equipped car to see what it's like. Pre-TSB, they were somewhat clunky for shifts and didn't respond as well as I'd like to manual shift commands. Reminded me of the 04-08 VW autos for response (not the VW DSGs).

Note that most of my ranting is fanboy performance gearhead-based stuff and the state of the car now, post-recalls and TSBs is more than fine for 99.9% of the intended audience. 80 BHP/L on 87 octane? Room to tune with Randy and the crew down south at FSWerks? Not bad! I'd like to see what one of these new DI engines does with a full, race-spec CAI and full cat-back exhaust and a proper tune for 91 at the very least. Knowing me, I'd throw a race cat into the mix ASAP given how Subsonic drives.

Actually, holy crap: http://fswerks.com/fswerks_coolflo_air_intake.htm

They're getting 167WHP/146WTQ with a 2.5" race exhaust and a CAI at FSWerks on 87 OCTANE. That's bananas! With a tune, you're in the 175WHP range, easy. Now, the 2012 is a heavier car than a comparable 2007 ZX5 SES, but still... 175WHP is nothing to sneeze at, and neither is 167WHP with 87 octane.