FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: vapor lock?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I know I have not posted in a while but I've had a returning 2 issues, on I think I know what is and the other that baffles me.

1). First issue is when I get up to highway speeds I'm now noticing a wobble noise and feeling like I have a flat tire in the front end, but the rubber is good, and the rotor is fine, and I'm leaning towards ball joint going... And I right on that?

2). This one really baffles me, I can drive all day all over, and then make a quick stop, get gas or go into a store come out with-in 10 minutes, car starts fine.. Then dies like it has no gas at all... Car can be repeatedly started and it exhibits the out of gas motions and noises, but will run fine when you give it a shot of gas, but when I let the car sit for 20 minutes or more it runs like nothings wrong and I've only have this issue a few months ago, and now its returned, I've added injecter cleaner, and anti-freezing into the fuel mix and sometimes the problem goes away for a few months till I do this quick stops again. I've replaced the fuel filter on every 3rd oil change, and I just had this happen again tonight.. Any suggestions?
Well it may be a MAF sensor is dirty or the TPS is acting up. Start with cleaning of the MAF because it's cheaper and that's what mine needed when it ran like you’re described your running.

1. it could be ball joint but it also could be wheel bearing.

2. have you checked pcv hose?
I doubt it's vapour lock... since that was typically caused by fuel vapour affecting the pump operation. And since your pump is submersed (like all modern pumps), you should be fine there.

If the car is warm, and you're having trouble starting, it could be IAC, MAF, and/or TPS issue (most likely IAC, or MAF). I'd try cleaning your MAF and maybe getting your IAC checked... some datalogging of your MAF counts and IAC when cold and when warm would help narrow down the issue.. since it sounds like the car isn't getting the right amount of air when warm.

What kind of exhaust do you get when you start from warm? I'd expect a little bit of exhaust fumes -- might smell slightly rich, but should definitely not burn black. If nothing is coming out, it might be a lean condition at warm startup.

As for the wobbly wheels, put it up on a jack, and give the wheel a wiggle while watching for which parts are shaking loose. It could also be an unbalanced wheel, but if you hear a thrumming noise, it's likely a wheel bearing (common in the older focuses IIRC).

hope that helps.

Its not the wheel bearing its the tie rod.
uh OK
Just did mine and that noise went away.
(05-26-2012, 11:40 AM)Frost__2001 Wrote: [ -> ]2). This one really baffles me, I can drive all day all over, and then make a quick stop, get gas or go into a store come out with-in 10 minutes, car starts fine.. Then dies like it has no gas at all... Car can be repeatedly started and it exhibits the out of gas motions and noises, but will run fine when you give it a shot of gas, but when I let the car sit for 20 minutes or more it runs like nothings wrong and I've only have this issue a few months ago, and now its returned, --> snip --> Any suggestions?

No suggestion, but my 2003 Zetec does the same thing. Only happens rarely (maybe twice a year). In between, all is well. No codes when the problem is occurring.

I will watch this discussion with great interest.

Bob the Duck Canuck