FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Found Where My Last Name Came From
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was searching around and found this pretty interesting. It's always good to know where you came from and what type of people you decended from.

I like the Moto Conquer or Die, thats priceeless.

[Image: MacNeilCoatofArms.gif]

[Image: MacNeilCoatofArmsRock.gif]

As a member of Clan MacNeil, you are entitled to wear the Crest of the Clan Chief as a "Badge." The crest must be surrounded by a belt or "Garter". On this belt is written the motto of the Clan. In the case of Clan MacNeil of Barra, the motto in Gaelic is "Buaidh No Bas" the motto in Latin is "Vincere Vel Mori." Both mottos can be translated as "Victory or Death" or "Conquer or Die." The crest of MacNeil of Barra is a Rock.

In the case of Clan MacNeil of Colonsay/Gigha, the Latin motto is styled as "Vincere Aut Mori", and the crest is an upraised armoured dexter arm grasping a dagger. Both crests are set upon a wreath or torse. In some badges the crest may be depicted set upon a Chapeau or "Cap of Maintenance" as seen in the Arms of the Chief.

The badge, when displayed as an ornament, wall hanging, on stationery, on a tee shirt, etc. by a member of the Clan should bear the Gaelic phrase "An Cirean Ceann Cinnidh." This is closely translated as "The Crest of the Clan Chief." This will indicate that you are a member of the Clan and that you are not claiming the crest as "yours", but that the right to display it is granted by your membership in the clan.

Search in google for your own by typing in, Clan (your last name)
Or just click this link and type your last name in.
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp/sId.AAE.../qx/default.htm