FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fake Parking Tickets Lead To Computer Virus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How could a fake parking ticket possibly lead to a virus on your computer? It goes something like this: You walk out of a store and notice a yellow ticket on the windshield of your car. It's apparently a parking violation, and it directs you to a specific website. Once at the website, there are in fact photos of cars from your area that are supposedly illegally parked along with instructions to download a tool that will show you your own vehicle and explain why you were ticketed. You click to download. Presto. You've been struck by... a smooth criminal. That download is actually a Trojan horse virus.

[Image: trojan_horse_580.jpg]

This new tactic, though certainly creative, is an alarming reminder that unscrupulous individuals will always try and find new ways to trick their victims. Experts warn that attacks combining "physical and virtual worlds via objects that point to websites" could become a much more common tactic in the coming years.
Download a "tool"? More like downloaded BY a tool! :lol:

It's classic Darwinism like this that keeps guys like me employed. You wouldn't invite a sketchy-looking crackhead wearing a clown costume into your house. Why download some random s*** left on your car?

Oh, because computers are toasters to 99.99% of the world's population and NOTHING EVER GOES WRONG.

No pity. Keep the chump repair jobs going, guys. I could use the extra work. :D
I was thinking the same thing like it should common sence but i guess not.
"Common Sense" when it comes to a chuck of computer users is an oxymoron (Sense ain't too common with these people)

I mean I can set up a new PC in 30 minutes to be as secure as it's going to get, but after I leave it's a matter of PEBCAK

Problem
Exists
Between
Chair
And
Keyboard

AKA THE USER! :lol:

NefCanuck
ha thats a good one chair and keyboard
What's similar between a PC and a Mac?

The ID 10 T errors. :lol: